Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LoI 20th - 23rd Sept.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Looks like the dream playoff of a Neil fenn cork against longford is off

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    Is Rob Slevin still sitting on his hole at the rsc waiting for the ref to blow for a foul??
    Lesson 1/1 coach manual - PLAY TO THE WHISTLE
    Thought waterford deserved a draw,we were poor.
    Watched the video and flabbergasted at Slevin. There was never any foul. Though, to be fair, it seems Waterford put up a better fight than they did against us.

Rovers were poor tonight. OK in spells late on but same old problems we've had all season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Waterford unlucky not to get a draw. Best performance v Dundalk this season and took the game to them in first half. The goal which was stupid carry on by Slevin really set us back. Everyone thought it must have been a foul and team mates and fans were getting on to match officials. I saw it on phone at half time and it was the right decision. Dundalk managed the game well in 2nd half without playing that well but Waterford pushed hard for a goal late on again.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    To be very cynical the club badly need a play-off final with a big gate,not saying we set up to aim for a play-off but at the minute a good gate isnt the worst thing for us.........
    Are things that bad money wise that being relegated with a big play off gate is better than staying up without one.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Greg Bolger seems to have a higher measure of a successful season than many Rovers posters on foot.ie

And Bolger reckons the Hoops need to lift the trophy for the first time since 1987 to deem this a successful season.

“If you want to be recognised as a good team you need to win something,” he said.
    On the other hand he also seems to think that Rovers still have a chance of winning the league

. I'm not saying it's over by any means and stranger things have happened.”
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...tting-20098515

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmyfaction View Post
    Are things that bad money wise that being relegated with a big play off gate is better than staying up without one.
    I 've watched a good bit of div 1 this year I don't think any of the teams in the playoffs will beat harps over 2 legs. Drogs maybe but a big maybe.
    If harps avoid losing to ucd they can rest players and prepare for the playoff final
    Last edited by sbgawa; 21/09/2019 at 9:03 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Greg Bolger seems to have a higher measure of a successful season than many Rovers posters on foot.ie

On the other hand he also seems to think that Rovers still have a chance of winning the league

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...tting-20098515
    Was that not yesterday ez? when they had a modicum of a chance to catch us dated 20th

Wonder how rovers will line out v us on monday with the cup game against bohs on friday also going.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post

Wonder how rovers will line out v us on monday with the cup game against bohs on friday also going.
    If you look at their bench last night, they had plenty there, McEneff, O'Neill, Finn, Kavanagh, and Cummins.

I suspect those lads will start and they will leave the likes of Burke, Byrne, Greene etc. out.

Its the sensible thing to do given that the FAI scheduled a league tie four days before they play an important cup tie, one that their season now rests on.
    Last edited by White Horse; 21/09/2019 at 12:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I'd say he was planning on bringing in mceneff Finn and o Neill who would all be guaranteed starters now for the dundalk match if you had slipped uip last night and probably rest byrne and a couple of others Monday. now he should play none of them.
    Pick the first 11 for the cup semi and play the balance on Monday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Watched the video and flabbergasted at Slevin. There was never any foul. Though, to be fair, it seems Waterford put up a better fight than they did against us.
    Much better example of a dive that wasnt than McGraths dive that wasnt that Sullen was pushing last week!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Fixture congestion has been a valid complaint among clubs and fans all season and it is probably less than ideal to have to play a midweek game in advance of a cup semi-final while your opponents have a full week to recover after their last league game

I suspect that Bradser is getting his excuses in early....

"I think it's disgraceful that we've a game on the Monday and an FAI Cup semi-final on the Friday. It's not right and it needs to be looked at."
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019...xture-pile-up/

The league game on Monday will be Rovers 4th match in the last 25 days, while for Dundalk it will be the 7th match in the same period.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I 've watched a good bit of div 1 this year I don't think any of the teams in the playoffs will beat harps over 2 legs. Drogs maybe but a big maybe.
    If harps avoid losing to ucd they can rest players and prepare for the playoff final
    Play offs have tended to go the first division the last few years IIRC so might be a risky strategy of strategy it is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmyfaction View Post
    Money's tight for sure,believe me the last thing anyone wants at Harps is a play-off or relegation,but in the short term a big gate is important,before last night a playoff wasnt a sure thing, it probably is now so hopefully we can go and win it......
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Team news
    John Mountney is out once again with a foot injury and the match will come too soon for Jordan Flores as he works his way back to fitness. Daniel Kelly, Dane Massey and Sean Murray are all struggling with different problems while Aaron McCarey missed training today due to a bout of flu. Brian Gartland should return to the squad this week and Patrick McEleney is also expected to be fit.

Last 10 meetings with Shamrock Rovers (All competitions)
    28.06.2019 (LGE) Shamrock Rovers 0-1 Dundalk (Gannon 73)
    26.04.2019 (LGE) Dundalk 2-1 Shamrock Rovers (Hoban 40, Duffy 60; Vojic 83)
    01.03.2019 (LGE) Shamrock Rovers 0-0 Dundalk
    28.08.2018 (LGE) Dundalk 1-2 Shamrock Rovers (Duffy 54; Lopes 2, Watts pen 90)
    01.06.2018 (LGE) Shamrock Rovers 2-5 Dundalk (Carr 4, Lopes 71; Hoban 37, Cleary 60, Massey 62, Benson 72, 77)
    06.04.2018 (LGE) Dundalk 2-1 Shamrock Rovers (Benson 51, Shields 62; Carr 75)
    23.02.2018 (LGE) Shamrock Rovers 0-0 Dundalk
    10.10.2017 (FCUP) Shamrock Rovers 2-4 Dundalk (Finn 10, O’Connor 85; McMillan 13. 108, Benson 54, O’Donnell 114)
    01.10.2017 (FCUP) Dundalk 1-1 Shamrock Rovers (Benson 8, Miele 74)
    16.09.2017 (LCUP) Shamrock Rovers 0-3 Dundalk (McMillan 5, McEleney 81, Stewart 90)
    https://www.dundalkfc.com/team-news-...ock-rovers-11/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    "Aaron McCarey missed training today due to a bout of flu".

Could do without that ripping through the squad prior to playing Rovers next weekend!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Unless its a dose that keeps half the squad out for the next 5 matches you should be ok and even then the other half should be able to pick up enough points

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Can Harps fans explain something to me? I'm very confused by their teams attitude to tonights game given the league table but maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Cork City in 2019 are a bad team, and can be beaten. A draw tonight means that Harps need to make up 8 points to overtake City with just four games to go. A win tonight would have put serious pressure on us for the playoff spot but a draw all but ensures we will stay above that spot. Harps tonight seemed content with the draw, their keeper wasn't exactly time wasting but he was taking his time with every goal kick, and there was no real urgency from them. They were happy to sit with 10 men behind the ball allowing us to pass from side to side and look for an opening. Bar a five minute spell late on they never looked like scoring.

We also never looked like scoring and missed yet another penalty but we kept looking for the winner when a draw suits us just fine. I understand they have some concern about UCD but they were 2-0 down at half time and the gap is now 6 points (or 7 when you factor in the massive goal difference gap). I really expected them to have a go at us in the second half but bar a five minute spell of corners and one very good shot from distance they never really challenged us.

I'm delighted with the result, our remaining fixtures are not ideal for a team in a relegation battle, with Dundalk, Rovers, Bohs and Derry among our five final games as well as a home game to UCD. I don't see us picking up too many points but I can't see Harps doing enough to make up the difference in their final four games.
    We're also 10 points away from 6th which means we should safe from the Caramel Cup. I do not want to play in it, though if we qualify I'll definitely go to any games.
    The context is that we have been on a losing run and conceding a lot of soft goals. The focus was on staying as solid as possible and trying to nick something and it was not far off working. Cork had a lot of pressure and Harps worked very hard, TBH I was happy with the performance and result, especially given UCD lost. I don't think it was likely we could catch Cork even if we had won on Friday to be perfectly honest. While we have UCD and Waterford at home Rovers and Derry away are both difficult games.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    With Rovers currently 12 points off Dundalk, Roberto Lopes has ambitions to reduce that next season

Lopes has still warned the Lilywhites that the points gap in the league won’t be so big next season.
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...wsApp_AppShare

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    The context is that we have been on a losing run and conceding a lot of soft goals. The focus was on staying as solid as possible and trying to nick something and it was not far off working. Cork had a lot of pressure and Harps worked very hard, TBH I was happy with the performance and result, especially given UCD lost. I don't think it was likely we could catch Cork even if we had won on Friday to be perfectly honest. While we have UCD and Waterford at home Rovers and Derry away are both difficult games.
    Rovers wont have anythng to play for although that could work either way, pressure off etc, Waterford will be in the same boat , get a point against UCD and you should be fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Unless its a dose that keeps half the squad out for the next 5 matches you should be ok and even then the other half should be able to pick up enough points
    I know its been a while for you lot but its the cup game i'd be concerned about having a fit squad for part 3 of a potential treble!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast