Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: LoI 20th - 23rd Sept.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Ah as fan I can hope and dream and not have to do the diplomatic 'next game is our only thoughts' stuff. I think Sligo will be very tough to beat and in front of a packed Showgraounds. But if a manager did win 5 domestic trophies in his first season it would have to rank very highly for any manager anywhere. Odds are still against it but I'm happy to hope!
    True - hopes and dreams are the fuel for most football fans and are part of the magic of it all. Creating new expectations simply runs the risk of being disappointed if they are not achieved - I would rather travel in hope and belief

What VP and his group have already achieved is tremendous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Listen to Mike Tracey on the Off The Ball podcast: "We're not going to come spend $5m out of our pocket to build real estate on land we don't own. That just doesn't make sense. We need to work with the country [council] and government leaders.."

There is nothing big going to happen any time soon.
    Would Dundalk be able to do a Sligo Rovers and let the people of Dundalk raise the funds to buy the ground from the current owners with a proviso it only be used for sport and lease it rent free to the club, I understood that the family who own the ground are well disposed to the club.

Oh and congrats to Dundalk, way way better than anyone else.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmyfaction View Post
    Would Dundalk be able to do a Sligo Rovers and let the people of Dundalk raise the funds to buy the ground from the current owners with a proviso it only be used for sport and lease it rent free to the club, I understood that the family who own the ground are well disposed to the club.

This leads to my question who owns the ground? Is it Des Casey? That would be the only way around the impasse. Do what Sligo Rovers did to their ground.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

How would a no-cost lease in place of a low-cost lease make ground redevelopment more feasible?

Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    This leads to my question who owns the ground? Is it Des Casey? That would be the only way around the impasse. Do what Sligo Rovers did to their ground.
    Des Casey (who is Honorary Club President) represents the Casey Family Trust who own the ground.

I am not sure what impasse you refer to other than the obvious one that the current owners are unlikely to borrow/invest the multiple millions required for Oriel Park re-development on the simple basis that they are unlikely to be able to get a Return on Investment

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    The Casey family own the ground and keeping the ownership away from the club has been a great source of protection for Oriel Park over the years.

However, I expect that if the ground was owned by the club it would not make any difference to the willingness of the owners to invest substantially. I read many comments on social media about "American owners" funding the team. That is way off the mark, the team is self funding through European prize money. The owners are not here to spend their money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    How would a no-cost lease in place of a low-cost lease make ground redevelopment more feasible?
    If the owner of Oriel present or future, see that the current owners of Oriel are making a lot of money from the club they might decide to have some themselves and seek a rent increase it is unlikely that the people of Dundalk would do that.

If the club in invests in the ground that buried cost makes it easier for a landlord to seek higher rent from the club.

If Oriel is redeveloped by the tenants and the afterwards the owner gets an offer he can't refuse from developers ( and the club can't match that offer) the club may have wasted their money.

There are other reasons but you get the drift

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    If the owner of Oriel present or future, see that the current owners of Oriel are making a lot of money from the club they might decide to have some themselves and seek a rent increase it is unlikely that the people of Dundalk would do that.

If the club in invests in the ground that buried cost makes it easier for a landlord to seek higher rent from the club.

If Oriel is redeveloped by the tenants and the afterwards the owner gets an offer he can't refuse from developers ( and the club can't match that offer) the club may have wasted their money.

There are other reasons but you get the drift
    Ok - so it's not the low-cost : no-cost lease that is the issue you are highlighting, but the security that the tenants have, especially in relation to ground improvements.

A long-term lease with a locked-in mechanism on rent increases (no /low increase / or inflation rate rent increase) and security against the property being sold meets the same needs

I don't believe for a moment that any of the above issues are the primary barriers to major stadium upgrades. Even if outright ground ownership was acquired in the morning, IMO there is no prospect of the owners investing millions in the ground on the simple basis that a Return on Investment would be improbable

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Just recovered now from what was a super night at op on Monday evening and the subsequent celebrations
    WHAT a seriously good game it was.How my heart held out

Fair play to Bradser/Shamrock Rovers for putting out their best side ahead of a massive cup game for them this w/e.Would have been easy to not do so,make excuses and run for the hills, but he done it. *applause*

Heading over to the Sligo game on Sunday,going to be tough and taking nothing for granted.Going to call a draw and Dundalk to win the replay.

Best wishes everyone #GreatestLeagueInTheWorld

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Ok - so it's not the low-cost : no-cost lease that is the issue you are highlighting, but the security that the tenants have, especially in relation to ground improvements.

A long-term lease with a locked-in mechanism on rent increases (no /low increase / or inflation rate rent increase) and security against the property being sold meets the same needs

I don't believe for a moment that any of the above issues are the primary barriers to major stadium upgrades. Even if outright ground ownership was acquired in the morning, IMO there is no prospect of the owners investing millions in the ground on the simple basis that a Return on Investment would be improbable
    On wet nights, a lot of away fans who might otherwise, won't travel to Oriel. If they stuck a roof on the that section, they'd get an immediate return in terms of the numbers travelling.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Also the fact that the league was over meant people were not disposed to travelling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohs11 View Post
    On wet nights, a lot of away fans who might otherwise, won't travel to Oriel. If they stuck a roof on the that section, they'd get an immediate return in terms of the numbers travelling.
    For the avoidance of any doubt let me first emphasise that I would love to see improved facilities and more cover for both home and away fans.

But to suggest that a handful of additional away fans on a rainy night represents an "immediate return" is really missing the point on the concept of ROI

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Being a two club county club, coupled with Dundalk's population means you're pretty hamstrung in terms of growing your home numbers.

You can easily grow the away numbers though, if you stuck a roof over it. You can knock off an average of 150 away fans from the Dublin clubs by the threat of getting píssed on. Over the course of a season with three Dublin clubs, paying €15 twice a year a year this adds up to €13.5k. Add on Shels and Drogheda next year and it could be €22.5k.

An 'immediate return' might be a stretch, but there is definitely a better return to be had on €80k for a roof, than sticking Gartland on the bench for half a season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingswood Rover View Post
    Also the fact that the league was over meant people were not disposed to travelling.
    To be fair shams bring a big crowd to pretty much all games. One thing we can give out about 😁

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohs11 View Post
    Being a two club county club, coupled with Dundalk's population means you're pretty hamstrung in terms of growing your home numbers.

You can easily grow the away numbers though, if you stuck a roof over it. You can knock off an average of 150 away fans from the Dublin clubs by the threat of getting píssed on. Over the course of a season with three Dublin clubs, paying €15 twice a year a year this adds up to €13.5k. Add on Shels and Drogheda next year and it could be €22.5k.

An 'immediate return' might be a stretch, but there is definitely a better return to be had on €80k for a roof, than sticking Gartland on the bench for half a season.

You really got me thinking here.

A roof for 80k with a return on investment within 6 years. That would be brilliant!

Putting Brian Gartland on a 3 day week could work out after all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Has to be the easiest game in the Brandywell this season in the Derry city v Cork. After Derry scored the game was over as a contest. It seemed like the Cork players just lost interest. Crazy to see a team who have challenged for trophies for 6 years get so naff so quickly.

A great 3 points for Derry and puts us into 3rd place and the guaranteed European spot.

Hard to believe last December Derry city only had 4 players signed!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Naff was meant to be bad*

Final score was Derry city 4 Cork city 0.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Candystripe View Post

Did Fenn look comfortable in the dugout Candystripe?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Candystripe View Post

with Dundalk win yesterday I think 4th now also gets Europe ? Still lots to play for this season for Derry, Bohs and Pats ! 4-0 should be an unacceptable result for a still fairly costly Cork side but their players seem to have given up. Cork unfortunately seem to be Bohs bogey side in recent seasons and we play them next week.Would appreciate another 'naff' performance on Friday, we need all the help we can get

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Cork were dreadful on Friday night. The players just looked like they couldn't be bothered.
    It reminded me of how we were last season. Pathetic really.

Didn't notice Fenn much, but he'll have some job on his hands over the off-season. If I were a Cork fan, I'd be wanting a clear out.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    If I were a Cork fan, I'd be wanting a clear out.
    Fingers crossed. It's prabably impossible to sign a whole new starting 11 that would be challenging towards the top, so retaining some of the current squad might have to happen.

The fewer the better hopefully.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast