Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: An 8 team premier, good idea or bad idea?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good Idea

5 6.76%
  • Bad Idea

69 93.24%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: An 8 Team Premier?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Rearranging the fixture format is just deck chairs, that's self evident. But why all the opposition to a split? A lot of European countries have splits, if we had a 12 team league with a 6 team split towards the end, the top 6 teams would all be full time (more than likely). It seems to me the best way to maximise our tiny pool of support/talent.
    oh boy I'm not good at football forums

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Yeah heard about Cabinteely possibly pulling out a few weeks back. It reminds me so much of the Mervue Utd story in 2013 when they also were considering pulling out due to lack of support from the local public and the fallout from Galway Utd pulling out of loi two years earlier. And the following season they pulled out.
    I am assuming that Cabinteely are pulling out next season Longfordian?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    No idea Marty just saw they're doing a review. Article is here:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...medium=twitter
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

4. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    I wonder how much support Cabo would get from Dun Laoighre or Shankhill etc. Would people from outside the town feeling an association to the town of Cabinteely?

It's a huge untapped catchment area though. It would be great if they got a stadium built and were able to grow properly. Fair enough there's a lot of teams in Dublin, but to lose Cabo and possibly Limerick would be dreadful for the game. We need more teams not less

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Wasn't there some sort of plans to build a multi purpose community ground in the park at Cabo a few years ago?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-38519140.html

"Representatives of underage teams in Kerry, Cavan/Monaghan, Kildare, Carlow/Kilkenny and Mayo will be invited as there are hopes these areas might be interested in fielding senior teams in the future."

Be fantastic additions to the league. Still think we could sustain 2 divisions of 12 teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David BOHie View Post
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-38519140.html

"Representatives of underage teams in Kerry, Cavan/Monaghan, Kildare, Carlow/Kilkenny and Mayo will be invited as there are hopes these areas might be interested in fielding senior teams in the future."

Be fantastic additions to the league. Still think we could sustain 2 divisions of 12 teams.

As positive this is, how long will these teams last in the league? 5 years?

A lot more needs to be done to support the teams in the First, not on the field, but off it. So for me anyways, unless more is done in that sense, new teams coming into the league is not a long term solution.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    As positive this is, how long will these teams last in the league? 5 years?

A lot more needs to be done to support the teams in the First, not on the field, but off it. So for me anyways, unless more is done in that sense, new teams coming into the league is not a long term solution.
    Yeah I don't disagree with a word of that. Romantically, it's great. A great geographical spread of the league, brings LOI in to new places and returns to others, keeps senior football growing in that area and hopefully can produce good players for the league/senior teams in years to come.

In reality, can they do that with the current funding? Not a chance. They'd need prize money to triple and a small government grant to build a stand, changing rooms and other spectator facilities.

I think it's positive that Noel Mooney views them as having a future in the league though. I think he's optimistic and inviting them to the next meeting is a positive step.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Spreading the league out could be a major plus. If you look at Lidl supporting women's GAA, they know they are reaching every corner of the country in doing so. Increasing the league's reach could help get aboard that sort of partnership to help drive the league forward.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    The thing is, it could be a major plus alright, but not while the fundamental issues of the First Division are unattended. It's unfortunately more likely to be a case that the clubs will withdraw in a few years, as pretty much every single club has done since the First Division's foundation, barring the initial intake.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    That there is a very basic change in attitude is a positive for me. If these clubs, especially ones like Kildare who were in the league and dropped out, are being engaged with then the obvious flaws will be outlined in a far more vocal and together manner. Yes it all boils down to simple finances as prizemoney wont suddenly increase as needed but punitive participation fees can be dropped as a start. At least people in the FAI are talking about this stuff with clubs regardless if it goes nowhere. Maybe its a deflection away from other issues but also maybe there is less obstruction now that former personalities have stepped aside and the financial basketcase that was eeking money from anywhere (to cover credit cards et al) is out in the open!?

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    I was chatting to one of the underage coaches earlier in the season at CCS and I was asking him the question will Monaghan -Cavan work out if they join the league?I got the strong impression from him it wouldnt work as he was from Cavan and Monaghan would go on their own. Whether this will happen is another matter altogether.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    From what I understand, the surronding areas around Dundalk are going to be the focus for Dundalk FC to build its attendences, sort of becoming a regional club in the representing the North East from Drogheda northwards. That would include Monaghan, east side of Cavan, South Armagh and South Down.

Limerick and Cabinteely come from highly populated areas, and I would say they had a much better chance of becoming an established LOI team than Kerry and Mayo. Im sure if Limerick drop out, they will be back eventually. I hope Cabinteely also stick it out, but maybe its a saturated market with Bray and Rovers close (and ahem UCD)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234