Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: An 8 team premier, good idea or bad idea?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good Idea

5 6.76%
  • Bad Idea

69 93.24%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: An 8 Team Premier?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Note to the mods: The poll can't be seen in the mobile version of the site, for me anyway. Unless I'm missing something obvious. I had to go to full site mode to see it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    I hate the idea of an 8 team league. Repetitive and boring. We should be increasing the number of teams and games in the prem, not reducing it.

Teams should be looking at extra games as more revenue rather than more cost.

If they are stuck for teams for the 1st division then they should be looking at ways to make it more enticing to join. That has been the biggest failure of the FAI in running this league.

Cut affiliation costs in the 1st division, regionalise it, allow B teams or u23 teams to enter it, the underage sides that don't have senior LOI sides should be given incentives to join. Kerry, kildare, carlow/kilkenny, mayo etc.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Apart from all the good points about how bad it is do the FAI not realise that this puts teams under more pressure financially. Clubs will push the boat out and increase the budget so they are not part of the additional teams that drop the first year it happens. Plus if a team gets promoted will find it harder to consolidate their position in the premier and probably try to increase their budget to be competitive.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Must be Dundalk and Shamrock fans voting its a good idea. A lot of cosying up at the AIL talks between the two clubs apparently. Probably think they can monopolise their position, who knows. One thing for sure the clubs are divided and the PLA was a great idea but the mé feiners attitude coupled with the FAI not giving a fiddlers will always hold this league back. Change for change sake.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Until the league is attractive enough to push intermediate and junior teams to want to join (and keep the ones we have), re-arranging teams is pointless. I am guessing they only want to try 8 teams because maybe they wont have enough for the first?
    At the time of the Genesis report there were 22 teams in the LOI between the two divisions. The report indicated it would be optimal to expand the league in to new regions. Regions big enough to maintain a team and small enough to have a sense of belonging. It didn't specify "at county level" but I'm gathering that's what it means. Kerry and Mayo were specifically mentioned as two possible teams.

We actually have 2 teams less now, I don't think any of the report was implemented and we've probably gone backwards or stood still in many areas. Stadiums, prize money, tv money, attendance levels etc

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Must be Dundalk and Shamrock fans voting its a good idea. A lot of cosying up at the AIL talks between the two clubs apparently. Probably think they can monopolise their position, who knows. One thing for sure the clubs are divided and the PLA was a great idea but the mé feiners attitude coupled with the FAI not giving a fiddlers will always hold this league back. Change for change sake.
    You do realise that currently it's 52 v 3 Bad idea : Good idea ?

Too many mé feiners!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    This looks like a way of making sure Rovers never win the league agin, if we'd have to play Bohemians more than we already do

I guess this seems to assume no progress is made towards the Lucid AI League idea.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David BOHie View Post
    At the time of the Genesis report there were 22 teams in the LOI between the two divisions. The report indicated it would be optimal to expand the league in to new regions. Regions big enough to maintain a team and small enough to have a sense of belonging. It didn't specify "at county level" but I'm gathering that's what it means. Kerry and Mayo were specifically mentioned as two possible teams.

We actually have 2 teams less now, I don't think any of the report was implemented and we've probably gone backwards or stood still in many areas. Stadiums, prize money, tv money, attendance levels etc
    had actually forgotten the loi has reduced in size altogether. wot yr was genesis?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    It always strikes me as weird that in discussions about the state of the LOI that the reduction is virtually never mentioned. We have lost 9% of our clubs. At one stage we were at 13.6% and had Rovers B padding it out. The central, crucial question for the LOI is how the league can stop the bleed by making existence in senior football more sustainable. This is more urgent than ever since clubs are now spending serious money on mandatory underage teams. It's now public that Harps are in difficulty, Limerick are clearly in major, possibly terminal bother and who knows what else lurks beneath the surface around the league. Playing with formats is important- but ultimately we need to have a league that isn't so hard to survive in economically.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I guess this seems to assume no progress is made towards the Lucid AI League idea.
    Unless this was to take down the number of Premier clubs with an eye on the top division merger required in an AI league. Planning & foresight, honing to an elite few capable of nurturing our future internationals.

(No, me neither)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Most Irish League fans will tell you that when the Irish League experimented with an 8 team league, it became so repetitive, that fans started voting with their feet as the so-called big games became less and less atracitive. Playing the same teams every few weeks was unattractive to the fans and media interest lessened too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Parker View Post
    Most Irish League fans will tell you that when the Irish League experimented with an 8 team league, it became so repetitive, that fans started voting with their feet as the so-called big games became less and less atracitive. Playing the same teams every few weeks was unattractive to the fans and media interest lessened too.
    What is rare is wonderful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Mods -Make the vote public so we can id the 3 that think this idea would be ok.

How in the name of ...... was this proposal even floated from the FAI in the 1st place??

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    The idea seems to be that due to limited resources, the focus would be put on 8 clubs initially to raise standards.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    The idea seems to be that due to limited resources, the focus would be put on 8 clubs initially to raise standards.

If thats the thinking then i think we should just have a two team league with Rovers and Harps and focus all the resources there.
    spreading the pennies around 8 teams is mad , focus on two and do it right.
    Two 12000 seater stadiums with full scale academies and when we have that in place we expand to 3 teams and so on...whats not to like?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Crazy idea.
    What the fai needs to do is to connect the loi with the regional leagues and make one system of football in the country any work in any other direction is just a waste of time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    Mods -Make the vote public so we can id the 3 that think this idea would be ok.

How in the name of ...... was this proposal even floated from the FAI in the 1st place??
    It’s the FAI 😁 no idea is too mad or stupid not to be given oxygen.
    Maybe revert to 4 points for away win, 3 points home win, 2 points away draw 1 point home draw farce of yesteryear.
    No gimmick too silly not to be tried in the FAI ever increasingly pathetic attempts to be seen to “do something “ about LOI.
    “Would there be anything to be said for another mass” 😁

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Cabinteely are making noises about reviewing their participation in senior LOI. Very disappointed with their support from the local community apparently.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Cabinteely are making noises about reviewing their participation in senior LOI. Very disappointed with their support from the local community apparently.
    Didn't hear that. They're doing everything right on the pitch but they're going to struggle to grow in the First Division playing in a Rugby ground in Blackrock. Then if they make it to the Premier Division then they will struggle to grow playing out of somewhere like the Carlisle Grounds or Belfield. Stuck between a rock and hard place without their own home in the locality.

I can see another Dublin City, Monaghan or Wexford meltdown if they go up unless somebody is happy to properly bankroll them for at least 5 years and get a stadium developed by then.
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    It's in The Irish Times or the Indo today I forget which.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast