Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Bulgaria- 10th September 2019 - Friendly

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Jayson Molumby is the first man that should be promoted. He is our best midfielder right now. He has it all, he just needs to stay fit and he will be a top top midfielder. I agree with article below. We don’t have much of an existing senior midfield. Obviously, Connolly needs to be introduced to senior setup in the next month or so if he makes more appearances for Brighton, which he will as Brighton have shipped out 2 of the strikers to ensure optimal development of Connolly. A huge vote of confidence by Potter. Parrott is a few months early, shouldn’t be promoted until early 2020. My sentiments on Idah haven’t changed since watching him in Toulon and since he stepped up to Norwich first team. A couple of posters articulated it well. Would be surprised if he makes it in a top league.

The problem with all this is that stubborn Mick is in charge, and will bludgeon on with his favorites (Hogan, Judge, Whelan, Hendrick, McClean, etc) with no incentive to introduce youngsters given his short term contract. While I still think the dual appointment could have been a unique innovative masterstroke by Delaney, this could well be one of the unfortunate consequences of such an appointment - the delay of blooding top young talent, which so needed so much, and we have so much of it.

https://www.punditarena.com/football/robredmond/jayson-molumby-ireland/amp/
    Last edited by tommy_c12000; 08/09/2019 at 3:19 PM.

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Where would Molumby be now but for the injury? Brighton first team.

I think he surely needs more senior football before he comes in to the midfield at international level.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I just dont get this. We might need parrot in one of those away play off games for example. He could easily have played premier league football by then too
    But it would be hard to give him a debut in a competitive game of that nature
    Play him on Tuesday and have a look

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football...garia-ireland/
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I think Connolly is the man to move up. He has played now against the PL champions. He looks excellent at under 21 level. His run and assist was something we could only dream about McClean producing. He's small but he's built like a tank for a 19 year old forward. Given that he's more naturally or preferably a 9, I'm not sure if he has the defensive nous to play in Mick's team but he should be given a chance now to jump into a friendly and see how he can balance defence and attack.
    I'm sorry lads, I just don't think there can be justification for moving them up - I'm as excited as anybody about the talent coming through and they're close to a breakthrough but not quite there yet - I think moving these lads up is a task for Kenny when he takes over, so he should keep working with them in the 21s for now. Mick is constrained by time now and will only have the opportunity to give some fringe players a chance to impress. Up front I would have liked to have McG and Robbo play together one more time but, with their injuries, it's clear that Scott Hogan will lead the line against Bulgaria and I'm OK with that - I know he didn't take his chance against Gibraltar, but I feel that he has just enough quality that he could yet make an impact in the final three games, if called upon, so give him another shot - besides, I think Mick has faith in him, and I don't bet against players if Mick sees something in them.

5. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    The u21s have a big game away to sweden on tuesday. It's arguably bigger than the senior game as it's a qualifier. Perhaps Connolly and Parrott are better off staying with that group for now? I am mindful of the fact that if they start playing PL football over the next few weeks we'll want to integrate them into the seniors but nevertheless...

7. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    The u21s have a big game away to sweden on tuesday. It's arguably bigger than the senior game as it's a qualifier. Perhaps Connolly and Parrott are better off staying with that group for now? I am mindful of the fact that if they start playing PL football over the next few weeks we'll want to integrate them into the seniors but nevertheless...
    A competitive game is more important than a friendly .

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Not necessarily. What if the friendly game is with a view to a competitive game. What if Connolly is blooded Tuesday so that he's set to play a part against Georgia and/or Switzerland in crucial senior competitive games in October?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    It's a judgement call. The U21s have never qualified for the European Championships, have won their opening two games in the group, and are facing one of the top two seeds. It's the first big test of Kenny's management, and he should be given the best opportunity to win. On the other hand, as you say, if any of Parrott/Connolly/Molumby get game time tomorrow, it's easier to justify their inclusion in the senior squad for two vital qualifiers in October.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status...437060098?s=19

Sounds like Mick is conscious of the importance of the 21s qualifier and that's been the main factor in his decision not to promote anyone for tomorrow night.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts

Sounds like Mick is conscious of the importance of the 21s qualifier and that's been the main factor in his decision not to promote anyone for tomorrow night.
    I don't believe that. It's a convenient excuse.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Mick v1.0 was very happy to use untried youngsters

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Given we only really have what he actually says to go on..
    It appears mick doesnt see those guys getting a game in one of the big games we have remaining, as debutants anyway, and if hes not going to play them why bother pulling them from an important qualifier. Also, note he talks about Bulgaria putting players in their u21 side as they have a chance too... that's interesting. Personally I like the idea that we have this issue. I also come down in favour of the u21 as a group being given some thought as even though pulling parrott up might be good for him, the progression of the u21 side will help all of them have a better chance of improving.

17. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    It does appear that Mick wants to persist with the players that he has had during his tenure so far and they will see him out to his tenure's end in up to 12 months.

That's fair in many regards. But I think there's an argument to make that Connolly could add a spark to our senior side if he were incorporated now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Mick v1.0 was very happy to use untried youngsters
    I don't think the situation is quite the same. When he was forced to try out Robbie, Duff, etc, he really didn't have a choice. The squad he inherited from Jack was old, and needed refreshing. It probably had needed it from at least a year earlier. The current squad is good enough, and while it's always great to see going players get the first opportunity, I don't think it's required right now

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    The European championships are 9 months away so when if not now? we have to plan properly. lets say Connelly or Parrott start scoring and playing well at club level.
    Surely it would be wise that they are given a friendly to immerse themselves within the senior set up now, rather then a possible debuts in a competitive game

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I don't think the situation is quite the same. When he was forced to try out Robbie, Duff, etc, he really didn't have a choice. The squad he inherited from Jack was old, and needed refreshing. It probably had needed it from at least a year earlier. The current squad is good enough, and while it's always great to see going players get the first opportunity, I don't think it's required right now
    yep agreed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    True, and it took him three campaigns to achieve qualification. The remit this time is to do it in one, and let Stephen Kenny worry about the bigger picture.

23. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    The remit should always be to do it in one. THe first time in charge was ridiculous really. He made so many mistakes that cost us qualification for both competitions really. If he had fast tracked robbie into the belgium game theres a good chance we'd have gone through instead we had to rely on an old ray houghton to get us one.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    The European championships are 9 months away so when if not now? we have to plan properly. lets say Connelly or Parrott start scoring and playing well at club level.
    Surely it would be wise that they are given a friendly to immerse themselves within the senior set up now, rather then a possible debuts in a competitive game
    In the past I’d never have had any qualms about raiding the U21s. Sure Robbie and Duff probably wouldn’t have even been picked by Don Givens(!) but I think that just right now the U21s are in a unique spot:

- 2 out of 2 in qualifying; tough away match this week
    - Very strong group who’d benefit from developing together and would definitely benefit from playing in a finals
    - New manager and pre-announced as next senior manager; he deserves to be given his best possible chance
    - They’re a young group and none really stands out as obviously ready
    - For example, Molumby looks classy – but is he better than Alan Browne, Jack Byrne or Josh Cullen? I think each of these deserves a look and – in my opinion – is closer to a senior place
    - “Let’s say Connolly or Parrott start scoring at club level…”: well, in that case my opinion would probably change! There’ll be friendlies before the Euros if we qualify
    - We have 3 key senior games in the next 2 months, maybe 5 key games in 3 months; is any of these U21s really likely to be contributing?
    - In my opinion Connolly is the one who looks closest to being ready and is the only one who’d be likely to change anything, by virtue of his style of play

26. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    The remit should always be to do it in one. THe first time in charge was ridiculous really. He made so many mistakes that cost us qualification for both competitions really. If he had fast tracked robbie into the belgium game theres a good chance we'd have gone through instead we had to rely on an old ray houghton to get us one.
    "there's a good chance..." Who knows? We barely got a touch of the ball after we scored in the home game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    If he had fast tracked robbie into the belgium game theres a good chance we'd have gone through instead we had to rely on an old ray houghton to get us one.
    Nah I disagree. Belgians were better. We had a very young Harte and Given playing. It was a mix of severe inexperience and very old players.
    I don’t think selecting a very young Robbie would’ve put us through.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast