Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Adam Idah F. Norwich City b.2001

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    You have to let a guy in his situation take a few games to get back up to match sharpness. It seems like they have some patience for that at least. Hopefully he keeps getting minutes anyway. I still think he could become a big player for us as he matures.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Yeah, but he's three months back from injury at this stage. He's played some part in most of the games over the last three months, and pretty much all of the last four games. The Norwich forum isn't hugely supportive for example. Ignore the hyperbolic thread title - they've dismissed that - but the comments about today's game aren't great.

I think he needs a goal sooner rather than later or Pukki surely comes back into the team.

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    871 Posts
    The commentators in the bit I've seen today were very impressed with Idah and his work rate. Apparently he had good chance when he rounded the keeper. They were saying he's been good but needs a goal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    That missed chance is at 1:06 below actually. It's really poor. Credit to the keeper of course, but you have to be scoring those I think I do feel he lacks composure in front of goal, which obviously isn't great for a forward

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...hip-highlights
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 25/02/2023 at 6:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    871 Posts
    Hes not the best finisher for sure but he does bring other things to the table. His hold up play is excellent for example.

Stutts has said it before, and it's true, his instincts around the box aren't brilliant and he rarely seems to be in right place to finish. I still like him though

7. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Well, Wagner is clearly a fan of Idah, and has said as much, showing great faith in the player since his return from injury in using him in all of Norwich's last 13 matches, where he's started six and scored twice.

He's also recently signed a five-year contract. How many young players have that level of confidence shown in them?

Of course it's going to take some time before he's fully sharp and up to speed after such a lengthy lay-off, but I'm struggling to see where some of the negativity is coming from.

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Poor miss alright but he just needs a couple to go in to get some confidence up. Hopefully goals will come soon!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    He's not the best finisher for sure but he does bring other things to the table. His hold-up play is excellent for example.

Stutts has said it before, and it's true, his instincts around the box aren't brilliant and he rarely seems to be in right place to finish. I still like him though
    A striker who's rarely in the right place to finish, not the best finisher, instincts around the box not brilliant etc. Bit like a tit on a bull then.

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    The guy should have had a season on loan, instead he stayed taking bit part minutes during key times in his development for years, which ultimately was complicated by a number of long term layoffs.

Looks like his manager has seen the talent in him. He’s giving him regular senior game time for the second time in his career (the first time was cut tragically short with season ending injury just as he was finding momentum in the premier league). Hopefully he can stay fit and continue getting game time, just need a couple of goals to really get him going. They’ve invested in him to be the future, pukki is gone this summer. Sargent injured currently. Great chance for him
    Last edited by tommy_c12000; 26/02/2023 at 3:18 AM.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    The guy should have had a season on loan, instead he stayed taking bit part minutes during key times in his development for years, which ultimately was complicated by a number of long term layoffs.

Looks like his manager has seen the talent in him. He’s giving him regular senior game time for the second time in his career (the first time was cut tragically short with season ending injury just as he was finding momentum in the premier league). Hopefully he can stay fit and continue getting game time, just need a couple of goals to really get him going. They’ve invested in him to be the future, pukki is gone this summer. Sargent injured currently. Great chance for him
    As a Huddersfield Town fan who watched pretty much every game that Wagner was our manager for, I can tell you that so long as Idah is hard-working etc, he will see the talent in him and improve him. He's better, by far, that Collin Quaner, a 6 foot 3 German forward who banged in all of 3 goals in the promotion season and 0 in 25 in the season in the Premier League when Huddersfield stayed up. Quaner became a cult hero to the fans. He was mostly useless. Wagner will be delighted to have Adam Idah, I can assure you of that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Well, Wagner is clearly a fan of Idah[...] using him in all of Norwich's last 13 matches, where he's started six and scored twice.
    He's scored once in that time, not twice. His only other goal this season was in August against a weakened Bournemouth side in the League Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Of course it's going to take some time before he's fully sharp and up to speed after such a lengthy lay-off, but I'm struggling to see where some of the negativity is coming from.
    How long though? Because he's had three months so far.

When you look at Snapshot's summary (of RLP's post) -

Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    A striker who's rarely in the right place to finish, not the best finisher, instincts around the box not brilliant etc. Bit like a tit on a bull then.
    - you wonder where the positivity comes from tbh.

Only that holding the ball up might be useful against France, (and that we're short of options with Connolly and Robinson already out and Parrott not setting the Championship alight either) I probably wouldn't have him in the squad next month.

If Ferguson and Obafemi can play together they're the obvious starters. Ogbene deserves a squad place. Hogan and Keane have 20 goals between them this season; they've never shown much for Ireland but then neither has Idah. Heck, even Georgie Kelly has three times as many Championship goals this season from 200 minutes less with a weaker team. If we're looking to the future, Cannon would seem a more interesting option, though it might be too soon for him.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 26/02/2023 at 8:58 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    I think the frustrating thing with Idah is that he has a lot of attributes that should make him a good striker at that level, unfortunately he hasn't yet been able to put all the pieces of his game together. Tall quick strikers who can hold the ball up will always be in demand, but the thing that frustrates me about him is that he just seems to have a knack of rarely being in the right place, and lately he hasn't been finishing the chances even when he has had them.

I feel like a lot of what he's missing can be taught and might come together for him if he gets a good run of games. But he's a fringe squad option at best for us right now.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    871 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Hes strong, skillful, fast, good at holding ball up and bringing others into play. If he can add 10 goals a season to that he'll be a very good player. He's also still young with plenty to learn.

Norwich have gone on run of good form in last 4 games since he started. Could it be that he's helping the team even if he hasn't scored?

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    I wonder how much of that is through green-tinted glasses though?

I don't think Snapshot's summary of your post ("A striker who's rarely in the right place to finish, not the best finisher, instincts around the box not brilliant") really justified the "skillful" tag.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    871 Posts
    Hes is skillful with ball at his feet, but he's not a very natural goalscorer. I didn't think it was a difficult concept to understand that he's good at some things but not at others... obviously I was wrong

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I didn't think it was a difficult concept to understand that he's good at some things but not at others... obviously I was wrong
    When you're abusing, you're losing RLP...

I don't think he is all that skillful with the ball at his feet tbh. Exhibit 1 - that one-on-one miss. And a similar one against Everton (I think it was) last year.

23. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    569 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I wonder how much of that is through green-tinted glasses though?

I don't think Snapshot's summary of your post ("A striker who's rarely in the right place to finish, not the best finisher, instincts around the box not brilliant") really justified the "skillful" tag.
    He's got quick feet, you'll see him spin defenders and get out of tight situations - but his touch is often heavy, which is a weird mix - maybe just the long limbs. His link up play is excellent, his hold up play is very good, he's quick enough and mobile enough to move out wide from the centre. He's tall, he wins his aerial battles and he's good and strong. He's had really poorly timed injuries which have hit his development. I think a slightly smaller and faster version of Wout Weghorst is probably the prototype as to what he could be. He scored enough goals at youth level to think there's a chance that goals will come, especially with better players around him.

Worth looking at this to remember his qualities: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxGxQktBKEU - it's every touch of his in a premier league game, good and bad, so it gives a fairly realistic picture of his strengths and weaknesses.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    461 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    He's scored once in that time, not twice. His only other goal this season was in August against a weakened Bournemouth side in the League Cup.

How long though? Because he's had three months so far.

When you look at Snapshot's summary (of RLP's post) -

- you wonder where the positivity comes from tbh.

Only that holding the ball up might be useful against France, (and that we're short of options with Connolly and Robinson already out and Parrott not setting the Championship alight either) I probably wouldn't have him in the squad next month.

If Ferguson and Obafemi can play together they're the obvious starters. Ogbene deserves a squad place. Hogan and Keane have 20 goals between them this season; they've never shown much for Ireland but then neither has Idah. Heck, even Georgie Kelly has three times as many Championship goals this season from 200 minutes less with a weaker team. If we're looking to the future, Cannon would seem a more interesting option, though it might be too soon for him.
    I dont think ogbene has shown any ability to step up to international standard while idah has on moccasins like against Portugal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    I dont think ogbene has shown any ability to step up to international standard while idah has on moccasins like against Portugal.
    thats a great typo in fairness could explain the consistency issues with his touch.

27. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Ogbene has had more good games for us than Idah has tbf.

Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast