Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Adam Idah F. Celtic (loan from Norwich City) b.2001

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    OK - but what do we judge him on then?

13 caps for Ireland, an average of just over an hour on the pitch each time. No goals, and hasn't really gone close either. Came on for the last half hour against Andorra when they were tiring and we scored four, but Idah wasn't one of them. His finishing has been poor when he's got chances to be honest. He held the ball up really well in Portugal and that was probably his best game for us. But at the moment, that kind of makes him this generation's Conor Sammon - can hold the ball up, can't head or score.

Yes, he's 20 and yes, the loan move should be good for him (with slk's caution about how Parrott's move has gone). Someone said on another thread that we were being impatient with our young forwards - it was an interesting comment, though I think it's probably fairer to say that we're desperate. But as things stand at the moment, if we had options enough to leave Connolly, Idah and Parrott out of the March squads, I'd do that.
    Of those games, several of them were kenny sorting out his team.. I still dont think idah fits with how kenny is deciding he needs to play. I dont think you can judge idah on anything we have seen so far. I was looking at dzekos stats earlier. At a similar age he was barely scoring in the Czech league. It's now really about how he manages his career from here I think. I hope he has a good agent. That said if smith starts him the next few games perhaps he will find his groove and composure.. he could be the next conor sammon but I really cant tell anything from what has been seen so far and if anyone else can they must be super smart in football and are wasted here .
    (I appreciate you are not writing him off stu)

I would agree we dont need all 3 of parrot, connolly and idah in the squad if they have not made any strides in next 4 months.. robinson, maybe hogan, even will keane are more mature. Knight looks good further up the field. Knight appears to be thriving under pressure. Idah isn't appearing to cope as well but who knows what itll take for him to spark.

I'd be inclined to bring curtis up. Hes in decent form.

Idah, Connolly and parrot all did well in junior football..they cant all be write offs in seniors..

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamo kerry View Post
    Of those games, several of them were kenny sorting out his team.. I still dont think idah fits with how kenny is deciding he needs to play. I dont think you can judge idah on anything we have seen so far.
    I suppose that goes back to my original question then though - what can you judge him on? I think 58 senior games - which is probably still about 20-30 games if you count the minutes only - is too much at this stage to write off as something you can't make any judgement on. And I think it's a bit worrying that he is only getting ten minutes here and there still. Dzeko - you're right, but I'm sure there's even more cases of players who struggled for goals in their career and who are now playing down the leagues. (Looking at random squads in the lower leagues, I found Barry Roche for example - 13 games for Forest, saved a penalty with his first touch in the Premier League, played most of his career for Morecambe in the fourth tier. Goalkeepers are a bit different but still, they're not at entirely different stages at age 20)

Big step up from junior ball to adult stuff. I agree it would seem very bad luck if none of Idah, Connolly or Parrott were to come good. I think it's equally unlikely all three will come good though.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 07/12/2021 at 9:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    I'll start by agreeing with your last point stu. The odds of all 3 coming good are slim.

With idah I think he has a decent attitude so I have a feeling he can be the pick of the 3 but the question is how fast can he do it.

I think we are both nearly on the fence except I feel like you're asking "why isn't he doing more?" While I'm asking " what does he need to succeed?"

Give him 10 to 12 starts in a functioning side and I think we can judge him then. If that's a loan so be it. He has enough bits and pieces of experience that if the decision making and talent is there he should make use of a good run if hes given it.

I think we need to reevaluate what "making it" looks like though. The competition is way worse than 15 years ago. We are old enough to remember kenny Cunningham playing 300 plus games in the premier league. I dont think kenny would get a kick beyond the championship now.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    I think Dean Smith had relatively positive things to say about Idah after the Spurs game. He showed his hold up ability and pace in the chance he created for Pukki, then he showed his lack of confidence in the one he missed. A lot of criticism from fans for getting caught offside, but I think that can be a match sharpness issue too. I'd love to see Smith give him the next 3 or 4 games to see if he can make the partnership with Pukki work. Let's not forget, according to Farke, he trained the least of any player in the senior squad last season due to covid and injury impacting, so his development and game time were seriously impacted. He's not getting games for the under 23's so there's no way he can be anywhere near match fit.

I remember watching the Toulon tournament and he came into that having not played in a while, he was poor first game , touch was off and wasn't sharp and got better with each game. He just strikes me as someone who needs to play every game to be sharp and he's shown at every level up to now, that once he starts scoring he doesn't stop. If he doesn't get that game time in the next few week, or he does and it doesn't work out, hopefully he'll get that loan in the new year and a run of games in the championship. I still think he's going to be a top half premier league striker. The game against Sweden for the under 21s in Tallaght convinced me, he was unplayable at times in that game.

Farke quote is in this article; https://www.the42.ie/adam-idah-norwi...87768-Oct2021/

Idah, Farke revealed, was available for the fewest amount of sessions last season because of knee, ankle and hernia injuries, not to mention a positive Covid-19 test.

“He was the outfield player with the lowest availability on the training pitch and it was the reason he was not playing at Championship level,” he told The42.
    Last edited by passinginterest; 08/12/2021 at 9:41 AM.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    I think we are both nearly on the fence except I feel like you're asking "why isn't he doing more?" While I'm asking " what does he need to succeed?"
    I guess the question I'm really asking is "Is he good enough right now?", and I'm not seeing that he is. I know he's young and I know we're really stuck for forward options, but I'm not seeing why he's featuring so prominently.

I think in fairness to Kenny, he is having to make a purse out of a sow's ear to an extent, and he's gambled with other players and it's worked out ok so far (Idah's club teammate being an obvious example).

I think a player like Nathan Collins does give reasons to be excited (not least the fact that a Premier League club spent £12m on him, but also the UCD connection ), and I don't see Idah as being in that bracket to be honest. Or Omo had that great performance against Serbia and that makes you think "We might have a player here", but again I've not seen a comparative performance from Idah.

But yeah, as I've said before, let's hope he gets a loan move and see what happens then. And if he ends up being a solid second tier forward, well that's still better than what we have at the moment.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 08/12/2021 at 10:53 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Could have sworn i saw Idah and Connolly play in the premier league last weekend. They would both be making big impacts if they were in the Championship, its good that they are getting Premier Leauge experience early in their careers though, as that it where they will play most of their football.

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Perhaps he needs a good Eve to give him a boost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Exgrad View Post
    Could have sworn i saw Idah and Connolly play in the premier league last weekend. They would both be making big impacts if they were in the Championship, its good that they are getting Premier Leauge experience early in their careers though, as that it where they will play most of their football.
    Idah was in the Championship last season and didn't make any impact. Parrott - in a similar boat - is in League One and not making a big impact. (He's doing ok, but not making a big impact). There's no guarantee at all that the Premier League is where they will play most of their careers.

I'm don't think your analysis stacks up; it seems more wishful than anything tbh. I think it's as unhelpful as saying "He's crap; we should write him off now and forget about him" (which I don't think anyone is actually saying)
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 08/12/2021 at 12:01 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts
    Troy Parrott: 18 appearances for MK Dons, 4 goals. Scott Twine also joined the Dons during the summer. He is 2.5 years older - 9 goals from 22 appearances. Parrott and Idah might yet come good at Championship level, but for goal scoring I'll be watching Anthony Scully, as are Blackburn Rovers and others.

12. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Idah was in the Championship last season and didn't make any impact. Parrott - in a similar boat - is in League One and not making a big impact. (He's doing ok, but not making a big impact). There's no guarantee at all that the Premier League is where they will play most of their careers.

I'm don't think your analysis stacks up; it seems more wishful than anything tbh. I think it's as unhelpful as saying "He's crap; we should write him off now and forget about him" (which I don't think anyone is actually saying)
    Didnt mention Parrott. Idah barley got a kick last season due to injuries, covid etc, but still scored important goals, and wasn't loaned out when they got promoted. Both are playing in the premier league at the age of 20 and 21, and i don't think that should be discounted easily. There is loads more to come from both of them, along with the inconsistency of being a young player tyring to make a mark in the top league in world football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    I mentioned Parrott as evidence against your sweeping statement that Idah and Connolly "would both be making big impacts if they were in the Championship". I don't think it's necessarily the case, as Parrott, who has also played in the Premier League, shows.

Idah scored three goals last year. Norwich would still have won the league without those three goals (in fact, one of them was after they had already won the league). I don't think you can count any of them as "important" really.

Yes, both are playing in the PL at 20/21, but I'm not sure why you're continuing to overlook that players have done that before and gone on to settle at third tier or so for their careers.

Demesne Lad's post is interesting - I think Scully does have a better claim to a call-up at the moment. 20 goals in two calendar years at third tier level; a goal every other game this season. OK, it's still third tier which we really want to move away from, but he knows where the net it. He's two years older than Idah/Connolly/Parrott so they could of course be at that level in two years. But Scully is at that level now.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 08/12/2021 at 5:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    I guess the question I'm really asking is "Is he good enough right now?", and I'm not seeing that he is.

I think a player like Nathan Collins does give reasons to be excited (not least the fact that a Premier League club spent £12m on him, but also the UCD connection ), and I don't see Idah as being in that bracket to be honest. .
    As a fellow college grad (1994 to 2003) I love a good connection but isn't this one a bit tenuous..

I am still sticking my neck out slightly that stars have not aligned for idah just yet.

I also agree that no one is going to pay 12m for idah currently.

Someone like collins who played a handful of games and got that move, was going to be good.. the scouts must have been all over it. I firmly believe that when someone is really really good, it is well known around the network. Those few players that actually stand out at a young age.. like sterling did

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    When you watch UCD, you take all the connections you can, and brother of a player will do!

But yeah, I don't think there's very much between our views on this as you've said. I actually think I'd rather he got a loan move to Forest than got more game time at Norwich. Going to be hard to make an impression up front in that Norwich team (even if Pukki is giving it a go in fairness)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    When you watch UCD, you take all the connections you can, and brother of a player will do!

But yeah, I don't think there's very much between our views on this as you've said. I actually think I'd rather he got a loan move to Forest than got more game time at Norwich. Going to be hard to make an impression up front in that Norwich team (even if Pukki is giving it a go in fairness)
    The season Derek swan came to play was my favourite.

All will be revealed if he starts against united...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    He will have a good pro career, but premier league striker is just isn't guys.

I know there are cases where strikers develop late drogba and I think even robert lewandowski, but Im not sure our guy will be banging them in week in week out at the highest level

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    All will be revealed if he starts against united...
    I'm not sure if that was ever going to reveal everything, but in the event, he spent the 90 minutes on the bench.

Let's hope that loan rumour is true

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    I'm not sure if that was ever going to reveal everything, but in the event, he spent the 90 minutes on the bench.

Let's hope that loan rumour is true
    Well I was eagerly looking at that myself. Not sure forest are the club though. Grabban has 9 and they seem to be scoring just fine. I was just looking and they have a Danish fella on loan who is playing 20 games so far for the return of 3 goals. Perhaps of they are replacing him. I'd hate to see adam go and have to benchwarm watching a poor man's pukki

Hopefully he has options

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Starts today against Palace away. Great opportunity to stake his claim.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    1-0 down already unfortunately.

I hadn't realised quite how bad Norwich's attacking threat was this season. 8 goals in 18 before today, which is on course to break the record for fewest goals in a Premier League season (20). Pukki, who's presumably injured today, has five of those.

You wonder will Pukki leave over the summer - he's done enough to show he could play at a better side, but at 31 time's running out for one last good move. That'd be good for Idah - although Norwich could just sign a replacement with their parachute money too.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Hopefully he can join Connolly on loan in January in Championship or something similar, after his performance today. The talent is there, but he needs regular game time…a common theme

Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast