Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Adam Idah F. Celtic (loan from Norwich City) b.2001

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Ogbene has had more good games for us than Idah has tbf.
    Probably true, but Idahs best game against Portugal is better than any of Ogbenes
    Last edited by Razors left peg; 27/02/2023 at 4:46 PM.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    That's probably fair, but it was his only good game, and the others kind of balance it out.

He was flagged in halftime analysis against Luxembourg as having a nightmare for example (particularly his first touch as I recall); came off after an hour at 0-0, and we went on to win 3-0.

Can honestly hardly remember a shot on target in his 12 caps, even against a tiring Andorra side.

I think Eirambler is right that he's a fringe squad option at the moment. We can't be blinded by regular caps in the past if there's better options coming through now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    That's probably fair, but it was his only good game, and the others kind of balance it out.

He was flagged in halftime analysis against Luxembourg as having a nightmare for example (particularly his first touch as I recall); came off after an hour at 0-0, and we went on to win 3-0.

Can honestly hardly remember a shot on target in his 12 caps, even against a tiring Andorra side.

I think Eirambler is right that he's a fringe squad option at the moment. We can't be blinded by regular caps in the past if there's better options coming through now
    Most of his previous caps have come at the age of 19 and 20, I think we can allow a kid of that age to have room to learn. I've said already that I agree that he hasnt shown enough of a goal threat, but to me the game against Portugal shows what he could offer if he lives up to his potential. I've seen some of that in his last 4 starts for Norwich, so he may be getting there.

I'd have him 4th in the pecking order of our strikers right now, with Ferguson, Obafemi and Parrott ahead of him. Parrott has a bit of work to do to get back in form too to be fair.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Probably true, but Idahs best game against Portugal is better than any of Ogbenes
    Yeah and his ceiling is much higher. Ogbene is not a central striker at international level

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Most of his previous caps have come at the age of 19 and 20, I think we can allow a kid of that age to have room to learn. I've said already that I agree that he hasnt shown enough of a goal threat, but to me the game against Portugal shows what he could offer if he lives up to his potential. I've seen some of that in his last 4 starts for Norwich, so he may be getting there.

I'd have him 4th in the pecking order of our strikers right now, with Ferguson, Obafemi and Parrott ahead of him. Parrott has a bit of work to do to get back in form too to be fair.
    I think 4th is too generous at the moment. What he's done at 19 and 20 is reason to remain hopeful, but long term prospects aren't grounds for decisions next month.

7. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Bit harsh on Ogbene, IMO. He lurks like a central striker in the build up to this goal. Maybe I am biased - I like him a lot - he brings a lot of enthusiasm and is likeable and has scored an overhead kick at international level for Ireland.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    I think 4th is too generous at the moment. What he's done at 19 and 20 is reason to remain hopeful, but long term prospects aren't grounds for decisions next month.
    I basing on that I think he's a better striker than the other options right now, not prospects.

I don't rate Robinson at all personally and I can't think of any other striker that would even be in the conversation. Ogbene is a wide play who looks out of place playing as a central striker, but he is a good option wide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    Hogan, Keane and Kelly all have significantly better goals-per-minute records than Idah, and with weaker teams in the same division too. It would be silly to suggest they're not in the conversation.

Sykes looked lively in his cameo in Malta; can he play wide of the three?

Parrott is another who's dropping down the pecking order at present I think - and again, injuries haven't helped. I wouldn't have him third choice though.

And Robinson, for all his inconsistency, has a habit of rescuing Kenny at key times (though whether that's a good thing or not is a different question)

None of those are great options. But then neither is Idah. I think they're all definitely in the mix. A great big splodge of depressing mediocrity to select from.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Robinson is injured for next month anyway, I thought?

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    851 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Robinson is injured for next month anyway, I thought?
    Recent hamstring injury has all but ruled him out I think.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Hogan, Keane and Kelly all have significantly better goals-per-minute records than Idah, and with weaker teams in the same division too. It would be silly to suggest they're not in the conversation.

Sykes looked lively in his cameo in Malta; can he play wide of the three?

Parrott is another who's dropping down the pecking order at present I think - and again, injuries haven't helped. I wouldn't have him third choice though.

And Robinson, for all his inconsistency, has a habit of rescuing Kenny at key times (though whether that's a good thing or not is a different question)

None of those are great options. But then neither is Idah. I think they're all definitely in the mix. A great big splodge of depressing mediocrity to select from.
    If you think Idah is on the same level as Hogan, Keane and Georgie Kelly then I'm just gonna hold up my hands and say I couldn't disagree with you any stronger and move on.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    If you think Idah is on the same level as Hogan, Keane and Georgie Kelly then I'm just gonna hold up my hands and say I couldn't disagree with you any stronger and move on.
    Hogan + Keane (season 21/22, to date 22/23): 56 goals (30 Championship +26 L1). How high can you hold your hands as you move on?

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    That's what it comes down to for me too.

Neither Hogan nor Keane has translated that into international form (0 goals in 16 caps) but then neither has Idah (0 in 13).

The idea that they're not "even in the conversation" is nonsense

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    Pukki back in today, so Idah pushed out wide.

Another 90 minutes, but another blank in a 3-2 win

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Per report, seems to have had a good game, well needed. Now he just needs a couple of goals…

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    I'm just happy Idah is getting minutes. The fact he's getting starts and now even 90 minutes is a massive bonus.

Hopefully he stays in the team for the rest of the season and helps them to the playoffs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    Another start today, but no goals again and subbed off for Sergeant at half-time. Will be interesting to see who starts next week if Sergeant is on the way back.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Didn’t play too bad, but didn’t impact the game at all. Norwich fans have him as a scapegoat at the moment, difficult time for him. Pukki played centrally with Idah out wide which does not suit him. Needs to keep the chin up and training hard

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I think this lads ceiling was u21s football. There really has been very little outside of the u21 games to take notice of.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    You might well be right (though he’s already a regular in the Championship after an unfortunate couple of injuries along the way) but let’s remember he just turned 22!

I know there’s a general sense from some that we’re far too positive on here (disillusioned even) about our young players but at the same time give the lad (and the other young fellas) a chance before consigning them to the junkyard!!

Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast