Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Dara O'Shea D Burnley b.1999

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    Brentford spending 20 odd million on a CB from Liverpool so would assume they won't be pushing for O'Shea.

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    No Dara O'Shea in the Burnley squad today. Irish eligible Egan Riley starts.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    wouldn't be a bad option for Newcastle who are very light at the back. fans wouldn't be pleased though after chasing guehi all summer.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    For £15M I'm surprised there was no noise about someone like Newcastle showing interest as a squad option even. Covers across the back four.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    Signing for Ipswich. Fee of £15M up front with add ons bringing it to £20M.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    890 Posts
    A bit disappointing that he hasn't ended up with a move to a more established Premier League team. Maybe just me but if I was Everton I'd have spent £15m on O'Shea before I'd have spent £17m on O'Brien, O'Brien has huge potential but O'Shea is more ready to do a job at that level right now.

With O'Shea and Szmodics at Ipswich we need to hope that McKenna can keep them up this season but it will be a big challenge for him.

There are now four Irish centre backs in the Premier League this season who have been signed by their clubs for more than £10m. Can we or should we be looking to find a way to get them all in our starting team?

8. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    A bit disappointing that he hasn't ended up with a move to a more established Premier League team. Maybe just me but if I was Everton I'd have spent £15m on O'Shea before I'd have spent £17m on O'Brien, O'Brien has huge potential but O'Shea is more ready to do a job at that level right now.

With O'Shea and Szmodics at Ipswich we need to hope that McKenna can keep them up this season but it will be a big challenge for him.

There are now four Irish centre backs in the Premier League this season who have been signed by their clubs for more than £10m. Can we or should we be looking to find a way to get them all in our starting team?
    Well Omobamidele needs to actually play games if he wants to make squads and if the only game O'Brien plays is the EFL cup don't think he'll be starting.

Wouldn't be surprised if HH stays with 3-4-3 or some variant of 3 at the back given the players there. Towards the end of his time with Jamaica he started using 3-4-3 and that's the formation used by the interim team also. Especially with

But would likely be Collins, O'Shea, and Scales until either O'Brien or Omobamidele can establish themselves as first choice at club level. Given we might go back to a pragmatic style will be interesting to see how HH views Duffy.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    890 Posts
    I don't think Scales is even remotely of the same standard as the other four. Would still have Egan ahead of him even.

It's far from ideal but I think we're going to need to try O'Shea at left back in a four at some point if nobody else emerges who can play the position. Neither Brady or O'Dowda are anywhere near good enough.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts
    I don't think Scales is even remotely of the same standard as the other four. Would still have Egan ahead of him even.

It's far from ideal but I think we're going to need to try O'Shea at left back in a four at some point if nobody else emerges who can play the position. Neither Brady or O'Dowda are anywhere near good enough.
    HH needs to drive straight to Sunderland and try get Dennis Cerkin
    We need a proper LB and he's ready to roll.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    Well what Scales has that the others don't right now is he's actually playing games and HH made that reference when talking about Kelleher at the Q&A.

Good thing for Egans international career that it's looking like Burnley are gonna sign him. Would expect him to replace O'Shea and Burnley to get promoted. Was worried about what move he'd get this summer after such a long time out with a bad injury.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts

14. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,125 Posts
    Ipswich are spending a few quid and have a good manager. Is it all that likely that they go down? For example, they signed Delap and now they're in for Broja for 30m but that has apparently hit the rocks. They seem to be playing one striker so between Delap and Broja or an alternative they were lining up a 50m spend.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    890 Posts
    Neither Southampton or Leicester look particularly good, Everton have made a terrible start and there are a few others who might be down there also. So no, it's not a given that they go down. But I'd still have rathered see O'Shea go to a safer mid table team like Wolves or Brentford. He could do without having a third relegation on his CV

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    People overreacting about Ipswich going straight down. They started against Liverpool and Man City. 0 points was pretty much a guarantee and anything would be a bonus. Southampton and Everton sitting on 0 points too after easier games and the transfer window still open.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,125 Posts
    Neither Southampton or Leicester look particularly good, Everton have made a terrible start and there are a few others who might be down there also. So no, it's not a given that they go down. But I'd still have rathered see O'Shea go to a safer mid table team like Wolves or Brentford. He could do without having a third relegation on his CV
    I reckon there's a slide in Wolves. Their starting 11 doesn't have much quality any more. Aside from Cunha and Gomes they don't have many players opposition will worry about. Hwang arguably.

I would have rathered Brentford but he would have got less games.

At least there's a market for him. Sure he will get another team to sign him if Ipswich do go down!

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    People overreacting about Ipswich going straight down. They started against Liverpool and Man City. 0 points was pretty much a guarantee and anything would be a bonus. Southampton and Everton sitting on 0 points too after easier games and the transfer window still open.
    Ah they're ahead of their own best case scenario planning too though, double promotion. Hard to shape a squad for that so quickly. Great story though.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    606 Posts
    Have always thought it was 5 horse race for relegation: Southampton, Ipswich, Leicester, Forest and Everton. Someone else will get dragged in cause there’s always someone but it’s basically 4 groupings.

City, Arsenal and Liverpool who seem certainties for the champions league

Spurs, Villa, Newcastle, United and Chelsea aiming for a champions league place. Various degrees of function, dysfunction, quality of managers and vastly different finances. All evens it up a good bit.

Then Brighton, Palace, West Ham, Wolves, Bournemouth, Brentford, Fulham - established premier league teams, good managers, good squads. Broadly speaking looking upwards. Wolves obviously have issues and have lost 2 key players but Gary O’Neill is a good manager and they were absolutely robbed by referees and VAR last season. Robbed of about 10 points. I think they’ll be fine.

Then you’ve got Everton and Forest who are financially a mess - with ownership issues and then you’ve got the 3 promoted teams

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    890 Posts
    It's interesting looking at Ipswich's summer transfers in a bit of detail. They've just done a double jump from League 1 to the Premier League and clearly they've worked out that they have no hope of survival with virtually all of the squad of players that took them to where they are.

This summer they look to have decided that they only have one player from that group (left back Leif Davis) who is actually good enough to be a first choice Premier League player. Because they have brought in a like for like replacement for literally every other first team player from last season, two of the replacements being O'Shea and Szmodics.

I'm sure Fulham did similar years ago when they made a quick jump from the third tier to the Premier League. That time Steve Finnan was possibly the only player who successfully made the jump with the team, and he eventually outgrew them rather than the other way around, moving on to Liverpool.

It's a brutal but in this case probably necessary way to go about establishing yourself as a Premier League club. It also makes their season that much harder to predict, as it's basically going to be a completely newly built team. It will depend how all their signings gel in terms of whether they are successful or not, but with McKenna there you'd have to at least give them a chance.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617