Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: FAI Cup games

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    *bangs head against wall*

I think 3-1 at halftime wasn't reflective of the game but Dundalk attacked well and were clinical. Overall result Bohs can't argue with as Dundalk shut them down even before the red card.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    While the final score might have been a bit harsh on Bohs, I think we fully deserved the win. That was our best performance since the restart and I think we got the tactics spot on and nullified Bohs attacking play for much of the game. We were much more dynamic and moved the ball a lot quicker than before with a lot of neat passing moves. McMillan played well and covered a lot of ground and I’m not so sure we would have had as much dynamism with Hoban up front. The red card ended Bohs hopes but I think we would have won even without it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    While the final score might have been a bit harsh on Bohs, I think we fully deserved the win. That was our best performance since the restart and I think we got the tactics spot on and nullified Bohs attacking play for much of the game. We were much more dynamic and moved the ball a lot quicker than before with a lot of neat passing moves. McMillan played well and covered a lot of ground and I’m not so sure we would have had as much dynamism with Hoban up front. The red card ended Bohs hopes but I think we would have won even without it.
    Dundalk are un-dynamic with Hoban, unfortunately, IMO. He's slow and clunky. It's a tricky dilema though, as he is a club goal-scoring legend. Then again that, perhaps, says more about the quality of LOI defending than it does his prowess in front of goal.
    Last edited by CorribsideSteve; 22/11/2020 at 11:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    At face value Bohs were favourites on Friday, but there has been something wrong within the Dundalk squad that's not lack of ability. A lot of work has been done to change how the team is set up so with the 10 day gap between games there was a chance to get players more familiar with what FG wants. It worked on Friday and is still a work in progress. Not taking Athlone for granted, but if we get to the final, especially if against Rovers, it will be an interesting contest and an indicator of where we are in a transition. There will be comings and goings so may not say a whole lot about next season, but the players still have somthing to prove domestically this season. In FG we trust!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    A Dundalk Rovers final would be great and unlike losing to Bohs it wouldnt bother me unduly after winning the league.
    After the way we sneaked through against Harps i wont be taking Derry or sligo lightly.
    Winning the league this year was huge from the perspective that i honestly thought Dundalk would win again and would be going for a 4 in a row next year.
    Suddenly it doesn't look like a one horse race anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wexfordned View Post
    100 people stewarding a empty stadium? I think someone was on the beer or something stronger last night. I don't know what you were watching last night but it wasn't the football in Dalyer.
    My mistake so. I thought all those people in the Jodi, Des Kelly and Connaught Street stands with the high viz jackets were stewards or security. Must have just been some builders who wandered in from a nearby site. Fair play to them though for neutrals they really got into it and created an atmosphere

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    They were fans in high viz mascarading as stewards and security.
    I have no problem with that tbh and dont blame bohs for trying to look after some of their fans / volunteers.

The rte coverage had a laugh about it at halftime saying the "essential security" behind them had strong views about whether the ball was out for the third dundalk goal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I have no problem with that tbh and dont blame bohs for trying to look after some of their fans / volunteers.

The rte coverage had a laugh about it at halftime saying the "essential security" behind them had strong views about whether the ball was out for the third dundalk goal.
    I'd have a serious problem with it if it was a way around lockdown regulations. Regulations that exist to try and get us back to normality and have a fully functional society asap. If this is true, Bohs should have to justify the numbers in attendance hi-viz bibs or not, if that cant be done then suffer the consequences! Balls to that reckless ****e!!

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Bohs attitude to covid restrictions has been a bit lacking this year, no- Most comically exposed when Long was caught training the team during lockdown, asking if the onlookers were Rovers!
    Oh well, What's Another Year for the nearly men of Irish football.

11. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by da bishop View Post
    Very good game ,lots of quality play spoiled only by the RTE commentary team,terrible.
    I think Hamilton actually missed Dundalk's fourth goal. Only seemed to realise that there'd been a score when the players began to celebrate. Also seemed to think when a Bohs player blocked a cross which clearly went out for a corner that the game was resuming with a throw in. I like George, but he seems to be 'losing it'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Something very odd ok about the coverage, in the immediate aftermarth for 2 of Dundalk's goals, the camera also focused on Gary Rogers at the other end, possibly also the same when Dundalk were awarded a pen.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    I think Hamilton actually missed Dundalk's fourth goal. Only seemed to realise that there'd been a score when the players began to celebrate. Also seemed to think when a Bohs player blocked a cross which clearly went out for a corner that the game was resuming with a throw in. I like George, but he seems to be 'losing it'.
    John Kenny the same for the Harps v Rovers game. Watched it back the next day and his commentary was very poor at times.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Fair play to Bohs I hope they charged them €20 a head and are planning on selling club branded hi-viz gear at a ridiculous mark up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Noticed Harps were trying that one, more than you would expect to see in a ground closed to supporters.

With the Infection rates in Donegal as high as they are(which is Co. Derry’s fault according to one Harps Fan on here) you would have thought they would have been more cautious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCSIL View Post
    Noticed Harps were trying that one, more than you would expect to see in a ground closed to supporters.

With the Infection rates in Donegal as high as they are(which is Co. Derry’s fault according to one Harps Fan on here) you would have thought they would have been more cautious.
    Don't even know why I'm bothering here, but all that were in Finn Park were a handful of stewards, as required, media, club officials from both sides, there were a fair few Shamrock Rovers officials up, and groundstaff to work on the pitch.

Normally, the lads who do the groundwork stand over on the gantry side, but with the driving rain the other night, they stood in under the shed roof.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post

Normally, the lads who do the groundwork stand over on the gantry side, but with the driving rain the other night, they stood in under the shed roof.
    Counted about 20-25 dotted around the ground on the Terrace and in the standing areas of the Main Stand for a few games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I tend to watch games back in the cold light of day when its possible. On the game, it was a mix of decent Dundalk play but also some poor moments for Bohs. Maybe there was some game management by Dundalk as we seemed to sucker punch Bohs at key moments just as they were getting a foothold in the game. If they had made the 15 or so minutes count when they were getting on top the result could have been flipped. That said Rogers did make the couple of key saves. Definitely there was much better application by Dundalk players, looked motivated, and put some nice moves together. Interesting to see the movement off the wings like old inside forwards by the likes of Duffy. There has been a sense that teams had figured out how to play us so this was pulling the Bohs defence all over the place. If FG continues with these sort of tweaks then his ability as a coach to see where issues are wont be questioned.

On the whole 'essential stewards', at a quick count there were 20-30 people in hi-viz vests in the Jodi Stand not including players. From the occasional view of the Connaught St side there were 7=10 dotted about. A number behind the Des Kelly goal and also on the shopping centre terrace. The Jodi Stand, while people were spaced out was damn busy. Arguably thats how things could be done but under L5 restrictions there were too many people there, especially if there was some acting the maggot stuff to get unnecessary people in to see the game. Daft under the circumstances! and we wonder why L5 efforts have plateaued possibly meaning an extension of the L5 period if the likes of this has been happening...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCSIL View Post
    Counted about 20-25 dotted around the ground on the Terrace and in the standing areas of the Main Stand for a few games.
    Well...that would add up don't you think? Anywhere between 5-10 away club officials, about 10 home club officials, handful of stewards, ball boys, various media, photographers...

But what are these 'few games' you're on about?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Well...that would add up don't you think? Anywhere between 5-10 away club officials, about 10 home club officials, handful of stewards, ball boys, various media, photographers...

But what are these 'few games' you're on about?
    Blues had ten fans up in Finn Park at the last game of the season - presumably under the guise of "club officials"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemovie View Post
    Blues had ten fans up in Finn Park at the last game of the season - presumably under the guise of "club officials"
    Noticed five lads there from Waterford, they were on the list as club officials, presumably something to do with that gofundme, since there were only one or two other Waterford officials in that night that I noticed.

Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast