Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 426

Thread: FAI Cup games

  1. #181
    Seasoned Pro Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,570
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    866
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    702
    Thanked in
    466 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Nobody said it was "new" or unique to Dundalk, simply that they seem more adept at it than any other LOI team - which is clearly fair comment.
    BTW calling it "game management" doesn't make it any less cheating 
    I'm just using the current term that's used, but that changes depending on who is playing of course . Watching the way BATE and Legia used this as part of their strategy was very frustrating to watch when we were trying to chase the game and it was very effective. In recent times we have had comment on Dundalk players surrounding the ref yet all players do it, O'Donnell was singled out as reffing games but again most captains are in the refs ear and if they are not trying to gain an edge then thay arent doing their job. It was also pointed out that Perth was always at the 4th official but Caulfield, Fenlon, even Long et al have been seen charging at the 4th official or screaming murder on the sidelines. A bit like this malarkey about handball in the box, arms at side/away from the body, ball to hand etc. there is inconsistency; if contact is made with a player it gives them a chance to go over and win a free - it doesnt make it not a free even if soft. It is refreshing when a ref doesnt whistle up for everything. A recent example of things going with a side was the RoI goal v Switzerland - many referees would have given a free against McClean's challange to win the ball back as it was a half shove leaning in to the Swizz chap and not really shoulder to shoulder and McGoldrick had his hands on both shoulders of the defender with a nudge, if it had happened they other way round there would have been many a rant. My issues would be more with the inconsistency of how the officials deals with this stuff than issue with the players taking advantage. To use the Legia game again as an example, the sheer number of fouls they did make yet there was no sign of a card for persistant fouling is still an irritant Its hard to be subjective in football at the best of times as people are rerely totally neutral in analysis of things.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 16/09/2019 at 9:29 PM.

  2. #182
    Seasoned Pro marinobohs's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in the bar celebratingl
    Posts
    3,443
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    345
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    605
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I'm just using the current term that's used, but that changes depending on who is playing of course . Watching the way BATE and Legia used this as part of their strategy was very frustrating to watch when we were trying to chase the game and it was very effective. In recent times we have had comment on Dundalk players surrounding the ref yet all players do it, O'Donnell was singled out as reffing games but again most captains are in the refs ear and if they are not trying to gain an edge then thay arent doing their job. It was also pointed out that Perth was always at the 4th official but Caulfield, Fenlon, even Long et al have been seen charging at the 4th official or screaming murder on the sidelines. A bit like this malarkey about handball in the box, arms at side/away from the body, ball to hand etc. there is inconsistency; if contact is made with a player it gives them a chance to go over and win a free - it doesnt make it not a free even if soft. It is refreshing when a ref doesnt whistle up for everything. A recent example of things going with a side was the RoI goal v Switzerland - many referees would have given a free against McClean's challange to win the ball back as it was a half shove leaning in to the Swizz chap and not really shoulder to shoulder and McGoldrick had his hands on both shoulders of the defender with a nudge, if it had happened they other way round there would have been many a ran. My issues would be more with the inconsistency of how the officials deals with this stuff than issue with the players taking advantage. To use the Legia game again as an example, the sheer number of fouls they did make yet there was no sign of a card for persistant fouling is still an irritant Its hard to be subjective in football at the best of times as people are rerely totally neutral in analysis of things.
    Once again, nobody said Dundalk are the ONLY team to do this just that they do it more often and consistently (maybe better &#128513 than anyone else in the League here.
    As with other things when your team does it it’s “game management “ when the opposition do it it’s “cheating”.

  3. #183
    Apprentice Kiki Balboa's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Location
    In the shadow realm
    Posts
    64
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    20
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Baiscally, any team that is winning that isnt the team I support = cheating / immoral

    "My team doesnt want to win because we dont stoop low and cheat like Dundalk......"





    Not like Bohs ever had a player booked for time wasting in oriel this year, or Rovers never surrond the Ref. Ye are tiresome, Dundalk dont do the Black arts anymore than anyone else, not more or more consistently, its just they are winning.

    Hope I clears it up your

  4. #184
    Seasoned Pro marinobohs's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in the bar celebratingl
    Posts
    3,443
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    345
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    605
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Baiscally, any team that is winning that isnt the team I support = cheating / immoral

    "My team doesnt want to win because we dont stoop low and cheat like Dundalk......"





    Not like Bohs ever had a player booked for time wasting in oriel this year, or Rovers never surrond the Ref. Ye are tiresome, Dundalk dont do the Black arts anymore than anyone else, not more or more consistently, its just they are winning.

    Hope I clears it up your
    Once more for the VERY slow, nobody said Dundalk are the only team to do it.
    Even Dundalk fans admit they are more adept at the "dark arts" than other LOI clubs.

    Now climb down off you self made cross and wind in the paranoia. Enjoy an excellent ultra professional team, in all aspects.

  5. #185
    Reserves mcgonigle's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    880
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    43
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    219
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Let's put it to bed (he says optimistically). We will take it as a compliment. We are superior in every department, it's natural rivals will look for something to throw at you, pretty standard. It's weak but they need something

  6. #186
    Seasoned Pro marinobohs's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in the bar celebratingl
    Posts
    3,443
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    345
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    605
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    FT Crumlin 0 Bohs 2 (Wright, Lyons).
    ....it's on 😎

  7. Thanks From:


  8. #187
    Seasoned Pro Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,570
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    866
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    702
    Thanked in
    466 Posts
    I still am going with Boh's name on the trophy already!

  9. #188
    Seasoned Pro Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,570
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    866
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    702
    Thanked in
    466 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Once more for the VERY slow, nobody said Dundalk are the only team to do it.
    Even Dundalk fans admit they are more adept at the "dark arts" than other LOI clubs.

    Now climb down off you self made cross and wind in the paranoia. Enjoy an excellent ultra professional team, in all aspects.
    Oh we are, dont doubt that for one moment!! Blurry pictures of shadows of handballs, penalties at the box, falling over a wild challanges with players sent off after - its all great enjoyment currently!

  10. #189
    Seasoned Pro marinobohs's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in the bar celebratingl
    Posts
    3,443
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    345
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    605
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Oh we are, dont doubt that for one moment!! Blurry pictures of shadows of handballs, penalties at the box, falling over a wild challanges with players sent off after - its all great enjoyment currently!
    And don't worry, we have kept the buckets for the next time 😁

  11. #190
    Seasoned Pro Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,570
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    866
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    702
    Thanked in
    466 Posts
    In anticipation of such a response Marino i stuck in 'currently'. You can always rely on Bohs supporters for their sense of moral duty!

  12. #191
    Reserves disgruntled's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    731
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    291
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    103
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Fans should always enjoy the good times because being the League of Ireland the bad times can't be far behind them
    Its as sure as night following day.

  13. #192
    Seasoned Pro Ezeikial's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,785
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    148
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,021
    Thanked in
    626 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    So Crumlin v Bohs tonight, assuming Bohs beat Crumlin and we are due to play them on Friday the 27th do we put a full strength team out on Monday in Dundalk, risking tiredness injuries and suspensions and then play Bohs on Friday minus a couple or go with a second string?
    Even if we went up to Dundalk and won (assuming we both win this Friday) DFC would be 7 points clear with 4 games remaining and with the run they are on that is game over.
    I suspect they will go with a strong team which is daft in my opinion and will look even dafter if we pick up injuries etc.
    Maybe Pats will do us a favour and win Friday to make it academic.
    If by any miricle Crumlin beat bohs my opinion wouldn't change re playing a strong team on Monday, a cup semi final is a cup semi final and the league is done and dusted...
    What do other Rovers supporters think?
    Maybe the question is too sensitive for Rovers supporters to engage with?

    Unless Dundalk get turned over in Waterford this weekend, the league title will be there to be won by Dundalk against Rovers next Monday in Oriel (irrespective of Friday's result between Rovers & St Pats)

    While Rovers management, players and fans would like to prevent Dundalk winning the title against them again, it may be that pride overcome's pragmatism. I expect that Rovers will put out their strongest side in the hope of getting a morale boosting win and trying to finish within 10 points.

  14. #193
    Seasoned Pro marinobohs's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in the bar celebratingl
    Posts
    3,443
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    345
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    605
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Maybe the question is too sensitive for Rovers supporters to engage with?

    Unless Dundalk get turned over in Waterford this weekend, the league title will be there to be won by Dundalk against Rovers next Monday in Oriel (irrespective of Friday's result between Rovers & St Pats)

    While Rovers management, players and fans would like to prevent Dundalk winning the title against them again, it may be that pride overcome's pragmatism. I expect that Rovers will put out their strongest side in the hope of getting a morale boosting win and trying to finish within 10 points.
    Not sure full time players couldn’t manage a game Monday AND Friday, especially two big games (presume players want to play in such games). Maybe if a player has a niggle they would be rested Monday but otherwise seems over cautious.

  15. #194
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    2,936
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    83
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    351
    Thanked in
    256 Posts
    Not worth the risk regardless of who we are playing imo.
    A sending off or an injury on Monday in a meaningless game (i don't suffer with pride) that deprives the club of a player for a cup semi would be nuts.
    Its not about the ability to handle two games Monday and Friday (its actually 3 Friday/Monday/Friday) and even if they are able to handle it why take the risk.
    Its simple for me ...Would the players be in better knick on Friday if they don't play Monday? Do they risk a suspension by not playing Monday?
    If we play a strong team and get a couple of injuries i will not be amused and if we were playing Crumlin i would say the same thing one match means something the other doesn't.

  16. #195
    First Team
    Joined
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,173
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    7
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    111
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I think Bradley will play a strong 11 on Friday, rest the major players for Monday game and be ready for Rovers biggest game of the season on Friday week. The game on Monday is irrelevant at this stage, as the league is over. Rovers would rather win the cup and finish 10 points behind than win nothing and the gap to finish at 7.

  17. #196
    First Team
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,623
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    24
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    273
    Thanked in
    165 Posts
    I would be surprised if Bradley did that.Mondays a long way from Friday.
    Decent game in Inchicore last night , good crowd too. Best of the Brady bunch at left back for Crumlin.

  18. #197
    Reserves mcgonigle's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    880
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    43
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    219
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Bradley will go with his strongest team on Monday, he knows how fickle Rovers fans are. Holding up "Bradley out" arts and crafts one week, hailing the progression the next. Finish within 10 points and they'll probably build a statue of him.

    Serious question. Lose to Bohs and finish within 10 points, still progress?

  19. #198
    Youth Team
    Joined
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    246
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    20
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    Bradley will go with his strongest team on Monday, he knows how fickle Rovers fans are. Holding up "Bradley out" arts and crafts one week, hailing the progression the next. Finish within 10 points and they'll probably build a statue of him.

    Serious question. Lose to Bohs and finish within 10 points, still progress?
    oh yes

  20. #199
    Seasoned Pro marinobohs's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in the bar celebratingl
    Posts
    3,443
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    345
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    605
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingswood Rover View Post
    oh yes
    Really ? Would have thought that would be anathema to shams “hard core” (considering some of them thought Keith Longs job was in jeopardy after the most recent derby game &#128513.
    Given the resources invested And a relatively poor league (Cork and Waterford collapse, Pats HK implosion) I would expect better.

    Anything less than sub 10 point finish and (at least) a cup final surely a very poor return ?

  21. #200
    Seasoned Pro Ezeikial's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,785
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    148
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,021
    Thanked in
    626 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingswood Rover View Post
    oh yes
    I suppose different fans have different expectations, but I very much doubt that there would be many Rovers fans who would find a cup semi final exit to Bohs as a sign of progress.

    Similarly a 9 point losing margin in the league is as unlikely to spark wild optimism as an 11 point margin would trigger despondency and gloom.

    Personally I would prefer a Dundalk - Bohs cup final, but the upside of Rovers getting there is that it would secure Bradsers job for a while longer

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Well, here it is - the nine games are up !!!
    By avvenalaf in forum Sligo Rovers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25/04/2009, 3:21 PM
  2. Going to Away Games
    By kingdomkerry in forum Fans Forum
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 12/06/2008, 8:59 AM
  3. next 2 games
    By Trainee in forum Galway United
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23/10/2007, 12:10 PM
  4. After 21 games
    By passinginterest in forum Wexford FC
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04/08/2007, 9:05 PM
  5. 10 Games To Go
    By Sniffer in forum Irish League
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 24/02/2007, 12:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •