Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: FAI Cup games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thebronze14 View Post
    No it's not. A one stand ground would have us in the doldrums with Athlone. One stand and a couple of terraces would be perfect but one stand and nothing else is a disaster for a club
    Sounds like you may prepare for another 13 years for a move to a new ground. Its obviously not a final solution but an incremental development. If actively in Stranrolar with a complete stand the money for additional areas eg terracing would land a lot easier and quicker than is currently being experienced. I'd also consider need, is there much difference in having a large stand that is full surrounded by empty terraces, or the same with no terraces in the short/medium term? Is it preferable to be in a worn out semi derelict ground? I dont see how a new stand could push a club in to the doldrums except due to finanial pressures the playing budget suffers. Athlone are where they are for a whole bunch of reasons and the ground is fairly low on that list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I hadn't really watched Dundalk very closely outside of our games under Perth, but it seems like what you're describing above is Dundalk in 2019? Perth obviously has different ideas about football than Kenny and would play more direct, did that change in the first half of this season?

As for the kids being destroyed, I think it will certainly have an effect but they've been hammered before, albeit not this badly. I'm sure there are few players in there who will learn and grow as players from it. Ronan Manning in particular looks like he's destined for better things.
    Its hard to undertand what went on tbh apart from the players not playing. We dont know why and may never know. The biggest chance between Kenny and Perth imo was greater use of the squad. SK had tweaked tactics I'd say from 2017. There was less bombing forward but were tighter defensively. Perth really just continued with this. Maybe playing in Europe more than is usual means that zip in passing is there when back domestically and especially against such weak opposition like Athlone. FG has changed formation, jury is out on it for me still, he certainly has his ideas and considering everything he hasnt had too bad a start to a first senior job. We just look to be more comfortable again - if anything was an indication of where thing were at it was Sean Gannon pre cup semi and how he played in the semi final, chalk and cheese. Feck knows what happened to turn performances/motivation around. Maybe a new contract was offered!?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    Does he actually like anyone, angry sort of man.
    I'm pretty sure Stuey used the term 'handbags' during the Sligo v Derry game. If so, hopefully the powers that be at LOI player will act responsibly, suspend him, and force him to go to a re-education camp like this unlucky chap.

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/n...ompson-4746612

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    is this the quietest build up to an FAI cup final since Jesus was a little lad?

I see JAck Byrne is off to join Mick McCarthy in Cyprus according to the Sun.
    Wouldnt mind a job in cypruss myself.

On form we win today but if form was everything Dundalk would be going for their 5th or 6th cup in a row so who knows.
    First goal vital.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Well at least there wasnt risk of a repeat of the ridiculous furore over Alan Mannus like last year. It is quiet, finding it hard to feel any anticipation! myself, though obviously Id hate losing the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    I’d be all for traditional & patriotic things but facing the flag is tad old hat for a club game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Either way - ye face the flag or the dignitaries eg President, no need for any fuss. Not that it needed it but it shows that Mannus wasnt deliberately being disrespectful last time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    And there's the disastrous defensive corner system...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    World-class goalkeeping and defending there from Dundalk ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Need to ring the changes, even mixing it up tactically. When did we start heading the ball out back in to the mixer rather than to wide areas, Pretty basic stuff really. I we persist Rovers will make it safe at some point. Maybe getting a pacier player running the line preferably beside McMillan for a bit or until he runs out of steam. Its all just so meh!

Well that could change things but against the run of play. Hopefully that will lift the energy levels and not to go back on the backfoot.

back to meh..

Odds on a Bolger red card if it goes to extra time?
    Last edited by Nesta99; 06/12/2020 at 7:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    What a turnaround though! McMillan the hero again.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Dundalk offered next to nothing up front, couldn't break down Rovers at all, until the first goal. Good response from Rovers who have played more of the football.

Amazing miss by Lopes there at the end.

Is Oduwa injured/suspended? I think he'd do well against a tiring defence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Dundalk offered next to nothing up front, couldn't break down Rovers at all, until the first goal. Good response from Rovers who have played more of the football.

Amazing miss by Lopes there at the end.

Is Oduwa injured/suspended? I think he'd do well against a tiring defence.
    Was trying to find the squad sheets as I agree, his pace and trickery could cause difficulty running at a defence. I think Kelly is out allright Hoare on now whose from is ropey - if he can dig out a bullet as v Cork, all is forgiven!

Dont want to call it as going to penos but its is a again gonna be decided by the the small margins even if Rovers have been the better side overall.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    Is that the first Cup final hat-trick since 1990?

Edit - George Hamilton just confirmed it is. Miah Dennehy the only other player to do it in 73. John Ryan for Bray against St Francis in 1990 of course.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 06/12/2020 at 8:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Blew it what a chance to become invincible .... well done Dundalk .... roll on next season

17. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    After an hour of that final, it was hard to imagine it would end up like that!

Rovers had much more control of the game up to McMillan poaching an equaliser, but it was much more open after the 5 minute goal fest. As Rovers tired, their defence started to cough up more chances. Dundalk finished much stronger even though you'd expect them to be more tired after playing midweek.

Super goal from McMillan to finish it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Did'nt fancy them to do it but they just know how to win big games ,congratulations Dundalk and commiserations to Shamrock Rovers.
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Didnt take our chances so cant complain.
    Ill settle for the league this season
    Already looking forward to next season as we head into an unknown length of one.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Tough to take as I thought we were the better side in normal time and it was a 2-1 kind of game. Fair play to dundalk though, they took their chances as they always do. Burke's miss was critical as was the absence of gary oneill and the injuries to joey and kavo not to mention jack not being at his levels. But dundalk have quality and it showed through, particularly in extra time. Seems like match fitness was better preparation than rest. I thought theyd tire but it was rovers legs that went. Makes next season even more interesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Great 60 minutes from Rovers, much the better team in that period. Dundalk dug in and kept in the game during that period. Rovers seemed to run out of steam while Dundalk got stronger and became more dangerous as the game went on. Jack Byrne, in particular, seemed to tire. Covid may have taken a lot out of him.

Burke will be kicking himself for being wasteful. Dundalk are awful from set pieces and will keep getting punished for it. Overall, Dundalk have more improvements to make than Rovers for next season.

Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast