Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Dundalk Bombing along 3-1 up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    The Ball was clearly out of play for that goal.
    Yeah, that was my initial reaction, replay didn’t change my mind either. Great finish from McMillan though. Very enjoyable game. Some good quality from Grant and Duffy in particular. If Bohs can get one early in the second half it might not be over yet.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Very good game ,lots of quality play spoiled only by the RTE commentary team,terrible.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Think boez need to recruit a bit better if they want to bridge the divide between those who win and those you finish as also rans.
    The Rovers game was dictated by which end the teams were playing into, by the looks of it.
    No doubt the begrudgers will mouth some waffle about a Rovers/ FAI love in, but all 3 penos were penos. As was the Finn handball incident that was missed, to be fair.
    Thank god we're at home for the semi final so the quality of the pitch won't be an issue, irrespective of the weather.
    Keep on hooping folks! 18:25

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Bohs have finished 2nd on a budget nothing close to Dundalk & Shamrock Rovers. Bohs have the one of the youngest squads playing in professional league in Europe and it showed tonight. Lack of an experienced pro to calm things down towards the end of the 1st half cost them.

Their recruitment for clubs outside of Shamrock and Dundalk with their big budgets is one that should be copied and not criticised by the rest of the league who can't compete with the spending of those clubs.

Bohs will stick to the budgetary constraints and unfortunately that means the big name players with experience will go to Shamrock or Dundalk. All they can do is keep doing what they are doing. Only have to look at Cork another member run club to see how things can go wrong without a sugar daddy willing to cover the big losses

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Think boez need to recruit a bit better if they want to bridge the divide between those who win and those you finish as also rans.
    The Rovers game was dictated by which end the teams were playing into, by the looks of it.
    No doubt the begrudgers will mouth some waffle about a Rovers/ FAI love in, but all 3 penos were penos. As was the Finn handball incident that was missed, to be fair.
    Thank god we're at home for the semi final so the quality of the pitch won't be an issue, irrespective of the weather.
    Keep on hooping folks! 18:25
    The second peno was a handball, it was harsh, ball to hand from two yards away, but it hit his hand.

The other two were horrendous decisions. The third in particular was easily one of the worst dives I have ever seen in Finn Park. When the ref blew the whistle I was convinced he was going to give a free out and a booking for a dive. I understand the WatchLOI camera looks poor, but trust me, I was standing 20 yards away under the shed, it was a brutal dive.

The first was another atrocious decision, the player just threw himself to the ground. Again, I've watched that back on WatchLOI, and the camera barely caught it, I've no idea how you can suggest it was stonewall. It was shocking again.

Harps were denied stonewall penalties twice in the second half too. Suppose they're only given one half of the pitch.

Robbed by an inept referee tonight and nothing else.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    some amount of garbage being talked about the third Dundalk goal. The ball might have been out of play, it may not, but either way it was a matter of millimeters and even with replays from several different angles, there was literally no way of telling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    some amount of garbage being talked about the third Dundalk goal. The ball might have been out of play, it may not, but either way it was a matter of millimeters and even with replays from several different angles, there was literally no way of telling.
    The commentators weren’t 100 % sure with 3 or 4 replays,it might well have been out but it was virtually impossible for the ref to be sure it was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    ???
    Its barely been mentioned here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    The second peno was a handball, it was harsh, ball to hand from two yards away, but it hit his hand.

The other two were horrendous decisions. The third in particular was easily one of the worst dives I have ever seen in Finn Park. When the ref blew the whistle I was convinced he was going to give a free out and a booking for a dive. I understand the WatchLOI camera looks poor, but trust me, I was standing 20 yards away under the shed, it was a brutal dive.

The first was another atrocious decision, the player just threw himself to the ground. Again, I've watched that back on WatchLOI, and the camera barely caught it, I've no idea how you can suggest it was stonewall. It was shocking again.

Harps were denied stonewall penalties twice in the second half too. Suppose they're only given one half of the pitch.

Robbed by an inept referee tonight and nothing else.
    Agree that the first and third Shams penalties should not have been awarded

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Agree that the first and third Shams penalties should not have been awarded
    I feel for Harps and I'd give a fair weight to Nigels comments but the ref seemed to have about the same view as the camera and from the camera they were all fouls or very convincing simulations. The first doesn't always get given but it did. The handball was blatant. The third was less clear but to counter Nigel a bit I've seen people say there was a stamp, which obviously requires contact. So it seems up in the air but the angle the camera had showed a clear peno and Mcginley was lucky to stay on after moaning after the yellow. Connolly too could have gone.

The finn handball looked very dodgy but I don't think the ref had as clear a view with the wind and rain in his face?

Harsh on Harps given how they played in the first half and parts of the second but the penos were all fair enough from the angle the ref had for me. Obviously I'm biased but this nonsense of Rovers getting preferential treatment seems to pop up all the time. I can tell you we suffer from the same unpredictable treatment the rest do from our ragtag group of refs. Lads remembering Philip Greenes slightly biased commentary perhaps? A cursory look through the decisions that went against Rovers during Bohs winning run would put to bed any idea of favouritism. Sure cups involve a bit of luck and Rovers hadn't won one for 32 years until last year. As big a portion of the refs hate rovers as youd expect given the hatred most outside our own fanbase have.

Hard luck Nigel and the Harps fans on here. You've a tidier side than the table indicates. Add a few and a push up the table next year to a European spot wouldn't be shocking at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I'm not sure where anyone saw a stamp? On who? By who? Both first and third penalties were nothing short of a disgrace. The linesman had a similar view to me of both and said nothing. The 4th official had a view just to the left of me and said nothing.

Hennessy had a clear view of the handball in the other box and said nothing.

Not saying there was any preferential treatment...but there was definitely preferential treatment.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I'm not sure where anyone saw a stamp? On who? By who? Both first and third penalties were nothing short of a disgrace. The linesman had a similar view to me of both and said nothing. The 4th official had a view just to the left of me and said nothing.

Hennessy had a clear view of the handball in the other box and said nothing.

Not saying there was any preferential treatment...but there was definitely preferential treatment.
    The claim I saw elsewhere was that Burke stamped on McGinley. Didn't think that at all myself. Looked like a bog standard drag of the leg by burke and bad timing by mcginley.

Regardless, I'd be aggrieved if I'd had the angle you had by the sounds of it. Don't see anything to change my mind from multiple views on watchloi but I'd trust you were there and have watched the footage. The finn handball certainly looked like a good claim but all the rest were fair enough from the angle we had on the stream which, as I said, seemed to be the ref and linos angles as well. I wouldn't have begrudged Harps going through though. They played well and probably deserved extra time at least. We were so sloppy first half. Pico and Kavo coming on made a huge difference. As did the wind.

How are you feeling about the season overall for Harps Nigel?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    The Ball was clearly out of play for that goal.
    Play to the whistle - and Dummigan done that.
    Anyway,Dundalk tore Bohs a new one last night and it was delightful to see :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Dundalk fans are in serious good form today,not because they smashed Bohs 4-1 in Bohs own backyard(well a bit of that prob lol) ,but because Dundalk started playing like the old Dundalk we knew and loved. Playing in style and with confidence.The old flair was back and everything was great again.........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    As amazing and important as Hoban has been, Dundalk played their best game for months, and he wasn't (couldn't be) involved. They seemed to play a different strategy last night versus their usual style where he tries to hold up the ball and bring others into play, but it's a slower strategy. Coincidence? Perhaps. Hard to see Athlone being able to hit the heights of the Shels win in the previous round, and another Final in that case beckons for Dundalk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    Dundalk fans are in serious good form today,not because they smashed Bohs 4-1 in Bohs own backyard(well a bit of that prob lol) ,but because Dundalk started playing like the old Dundalk we knew and loved. Playing in style and with confidence.The old flair was back and everything was great again.........
    The first goal was peak 2015/16 Stephen Kenny era, so good signs to hang on to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    i think people are looking at the result and assessing the game on that rather than the game itself.
    Bohs were incredibly unlucky to go in behind , they were the better team in the first half and the sucker punches they got hit with took the game away from them.
    Even at 3 to 1 i thought if they had scored (rogers made two decent saves) i think they would have come back into it.
    thats not to say this might not be a turning point for Dundalk as some times you need a result to kick things on. Rovers at home against Sligo or Derry nd Dundalk away to Athlone has the makings of another Rovers v Dundalk final but if last night proved anything its that if you count your chickens to early you are asking for trouble.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    i think people are looking at the result and assessing the game on that rather than the game itself.
    Bohs were incredibly unlucky to go in behind , they were the better team in the first half and the sucker punches they got hit with took the game away from them.
    Even at 3 to 1 i thought if they had scored (rogers made two decent saves) i think they would have come back into it.
    Are you fkn joking? Dundalk were 3-1 up at ht after dominating all but about 15 of the 1st half
    I'll get the guards around to you to arrest you for stupid -if thats a crime?
    Jesus wept for more than your reportage!

Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast