Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: FAI Cup games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    That's more like it, less excuses and snipng. It was a poor Rovers perfromance indeed but as you say they didnt need to be good, but it isnt a poor Shamrock Rovers side as you claimed above!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    At least rovers have gone from "poor" to "average"

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    At least rovers have gone from "poor" to "average"
    Is 'poor' the new 'average'?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Rovers being poor not so sure gents it was a semi with both teams desperate to advance and we managed to prevail. Rovers are slowly getting a group together that potentially and i know we will loose Byrne and Burke that COULD challenge next season, this win keeps that momentum going and cancels out my previous theory around finishing within 10 pts of a very good Dundalk side. the thing that i am most pleased about this season is that we are the best supported team in the land and come the Final we will have Landsdowne bouncing, The march up from Ringsend, ahh just brill, cant wait, WAR.....Sligo site indicating that Dundalk have sent back over 200 hundred tickets WTF strange considering the numbers we saw in Tallaght for the league games
    Last edited by Kingswood Rover; 28/09/2019 at 6:42 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Amazing feeling to be back in the cup final and even better to do it against that lot. Rovers were very conservative and sat deeper than usual but that's just respect for how Bohs have killed us with our high line so many times. Bohs had plenty of the ball but couldn't do anything with it against a team who pressed them constantly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingswood Rover View Post
    Rovers being poor not so sure gents it was a semi with both teams desperate to advance and we managed to prevail. Rovers are slowly getting a group together that potentially and i know we will loose Byrne and Burke that COULD challenge next season, this win keeps that momentum going and cancels out my previous theory around finishing within 10 pts of a very good Dundalk side. the thing that i am most pleased about this season is that we are the best supported team in the land and come the Final we will have Landsdowne bouncing, The march up from Ringsend, ahh just brill, cant wait, WAR.....Sligo site indicating that Dundalk have sent back over 200 hundred tickets WTF strange considering the numbers we saw in Tallaght for the league games
    The result is really much more important than the performance. Congratulations to Rovers for reaching their first FAI cup final since 2010. It's a great chance to try to win a trophy since their last Leinster Senior Cup success a number of years ago. I'm sure most Hoops fans will enjoy the build up to the Aviva showpiece and many will completely lose touch with reality in the process

I just don't see that single goal wins over Finn Harps and Galway along with getting past Drogheda and Bohs give much grounds for euphoric enthusiasm for a credible league challenge next season.

I suspect that Rovers will need to keep both Byrne and Burke, get in some quality centre backs and add more width to the squad to have realistic ambitions of bridging the current 15 point league gap next season.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    The result is really much more important than the performance. Congratulations to Rovers for reaching their first FAI cup final since 2010. It's a great chance to try to win a trophy since their last Leinster Senior Cup success a number of years ago. I'm sure most Hoops fans will enjoy the build up to the Aviva showpiece and many will completely lose touch with reality in the process

I just don't see that single goal wins over Finn Harps and Galway along with getting past Drogheda and Bohs give much grounds for euphoric enthusiasm for a credible league challenge next season.

I suspect that Rovers will need to keep both Byrne and Burke, get in some quality centre backs and add more width to the squad to have realistic ambitions of bridging the current 15 point league gap next season.
    Lad, you know full well what a cup final can do for a club. Plenty of Dundalk fans have talked about what winning the EA in 2014 meant and how it helped the club sealing the title. When you've been rubbish for as long as Rovers have these games mean something, as you'll know being a Dundalk fan.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Not sure about us needing quality centre backs although given our frailty in that dept on Monday i can understand your point, on your point with us loosing touch with Reality....well sure thats the whole point. As for my what i thought was guarded and quite conservative enthusiasm on our ability to challenge next season being described as euphoric, well i think you need to look at the dictionary to elicit the meaning of the word. The lack of Euphoria for the semi final may be something that a lot of Dundalk fans may regret when this golden spell in the clubs history turns.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    That is strange and really annoying as I have spent Thursday and Friday in office hours regularly calling the club as I needed 4 tickets and wanted to check availability before bugging out of work early to get them - couldnt get through so gave up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Lad, you know full well what a cup final can do for a club. Plenty of Dundalk fans have talked about what winning the EA in 2014 meant and how it helped the club sealing the title. When you've been rubbish for as long as Rovers have these games mean something, as you'll know being a Dundalk fan.
    Lad?

I agree that the whole cup final build-up experience is brilliant, but there is a massive difference in the impact of being a cup winner as compared to being losing finalists

Winning a cup final can certainly give a club a huge lift and can turn a mediocre season into a successful one that can build a platform for further success.

I'm not sure that being a beaten cup finalist has ever done much except leave fans deflated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Not sure about us needing quality centre backs although given our frailty in that dept on Monday i can understand your point,
    I'm glad to hear that you are unsure about the need to strengthen in defence - I hope Bradser agrees with you!

The defending by both Lopes and Grace for the first goal by Hoare was close to comical, and for the second one Grace was completely AWOL with Lopes and Lafferty static as Benson strolled between them. Ethan Boyle is another who has shown significant defensive frailties

on your point with us loosing touch with Reality....well sure thats the whole point. As for my what i thought was guarded and quite conservative enthusiasm on our ability to challenge next season being described as euphoric, well i think you need to look at the dictionary to elicit the meaning of the word. The lack of Euphoria for the semi final may be something that a lot of Dundalk fans may regret when this golden spell in the clubs history turns.
    Your comments may be slightly less exaggerated than many other Rovers fans, but I'm not so sure how you square this with advocating loosing touch with reality.

Rovers performances in the FAI cup so far provide no basis for believing that this can translate into a league challenge next season.

Come back to me if Rovers show they can actually win something

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Lads.....why bother !.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    I thought Rovers were poor on the night. They had better spells of play in Oriel on Monday.

Bohs were so poor, Rovers got away with it.

Special mention to Mandriou, going for self glory the whole night and then lets his team mates down badly. The lads needs to think more about the team than getting himself a transfer deal.
    Mandriou hasn't played in weeks and clearly wasn't fit. Given our injury crisis him and Bucko came back too early (and it backfired). Difficult to criticise him for playing when he wasn't fit.
    Given our limited team options, we couldn't afford to concede first and after THAT corner (too much to expect a link two feet away to get it right &#128580 we were never in the game
    Whether it's part time nature of set up or fixture farce we have looked jaded for a while and were very poor last night. Shams better team all night BUT (Not for first time this season) poor officiating impacted the game.
    Shams not great but to be fair did more than enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    We were due a dodgey referree decision tbf.
    If bohs qualify for Europe it will still be a successful season, pats have a tricky run in so it's all to play for.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Good article this from Emmet Malone chatting to a Sligo official. I always admire Sligo's fundraising activities.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...32854?mode=amp
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    You just can't help yourself Ezekiel, can you.🧐
    Its like a deep burning desire within you, when it comes to Rovers. You should
    (A) re-evaluate your existence
    (B) just go to a Rovers game. We promise we'll treat you nice.😄

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    We were due a dodgey referree decision tbf.
    If bohs qualify for Europe it will still be a successful season, pats have a tricky run in so it's all to play for.
    Ah yea, and the corner should have been defended much better anyway. Very jaded performance and never got going. Disappointing but hopefully can lift themselves for the run in.
    Shams worked harder than they have in recent seasons and kept their shape better. Second half in particular they were sharper all over the pitch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    You just can't help yourself Ezekiel, can you.🧐
    Its like a deep burning desire within you, when it comes to Rovers. You should
    (A) re-evaluate your existence
    (B) just go to a Rovers game. We promise we'll treat you nice.😄
    So I take it that you dislike that I express a view on the hubris of many Rovers fans?

You probably realise that getting to a cup final is not automatically a precursor to a league title challenge.

By all means offer an alternative opinion if you have one.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    So I take it that you dislike that I express a view on the hubris of many Rovers fans?

You probably realise that getting to a cup final is not automatically a precursor to a league title challenge.

By all means offer an alternative opinion if you have one.
    There's no dislike at all. Your jaundiced viewof all things Rovers is very very entertaining.
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Takes one to know one PC and all that - You dislike plenty yourself and you can be described in your own terms with your jaundiced view of all things non Rovers being very entertaining also!

Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast