Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Neal Fenn

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Fenn will hopefully get us playing a better brand of football but as for better results I am not so sure.
    He didn't exactly set the world on fire at Longford. Admittedly he was operating on a shoestring budget. It will be the same at City,he will be given very little to spend I'd say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    Fenn will hopefully get us playing a better brand of football but as for better results I am not so sure.
    He didn't exactly set the world on fire at Longford. Admittedly he was operating on a shoestring budget. It will be the same at City,he will be given very little to spend I'd say.
    I think he'll get more at City than he did at Longford but he'll be operating at a higher level.
    I think most will be happy as long as the style of football improves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    UCD play a decent style of football, would that keep most happy based on UCD's season so far?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    I have been very consistent, I don't care about the style over the results. If the same results can be achieved with more flowing football then cool, but I don't think there is a "right way" to play football. My favourite esthetic was always quick transition football and I find teams like peak Spain extremely boring to watch, 90s Man United were incredible to watch but they never cared about possession.

I don't think Fenn will achieve half of what Caulfield did, and I don't think the expectations will be quite so high either.

5. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The style of play would be important to me because it was always thrown at us by Dundalk that we were a hoofball team. It's one of the reasons why I actually prefer the 2005 league winning team to the 2017 side.
    The 2005 side were very entertaining to watch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    The style of play would be important to me because it was always thrown at us by Dundalk that we were a hoofball team. It's one of the reasons why I actually prefer the 2005 league winning team to the 2017 side.
    Not just Dundalk. Fenn was playing recently enough to have some understanding of modern football, which would likely have influence on his management and how he sees the game. Will keep an interested eye on how Fenn does with the style of football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    The 2005 side had a reputation for "good football" but they were built on an incredible defense and actually scored only 53 goals in 33 games.
    2014 Cork City - 51 goals, 33 games.
    2015 Cork City - 57 goals, 33 games.
    2016 Cork City - 65 goals, 33 games.
    2017 Cork City - 67 goals, 33 games.
    2018 Cork City - 71 goals, 36 games.

I'm not saying any of these teams is objectively better than the 2005 teams based on goals scored, for one I think the standard in the league was higher in the mid-2000s due to the influx of players from the UK due to the crash of the ITV deal,just that they weren't exactly the offensive juggernaut people remember them as. Personally I prefer more goals and chances, though I certaily appreciate a solid defensive team and the 2005 team was incredible defensively.

You shouldn't worry about what other teams fans, or the media think. If you don't enjoy the football thats fair enough, if you care more about other peoples opinions on the style of football then I can't really help you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Funny enough Fenn and Perth are on the exact same coaching course, so they'll get a good look at each others methods over the next few months. Is there someone lined up for the John Gill badge holding role til Fenn gets his course done some time next year?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Funny enough Fenn and Perth are on the exact same coaching course, so they'll get a good look at each others methods over the next few months. Is there someone lined up for the John Gill badge holding role til Fenn gets his course done some time next year?
    Frank Kelleher is in that position at the moment. John Cotter is on the same course. Rumours on our forum that the FAI are going to revert to the UEFA standard allowing someone on the course to fulfill the manager/head coach role which was the situation before this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    While there was some slaging between fans I dont think Dundalk threw too much at Cork for their style of play. It was very effective and we couldnt buy a win in Turners Cross for a spell not to mention taking cup finals to extra time and the league being nip and tuck most of the seasons bar 2017. Most of the criticism was media and pundit driven. If anything any friction between the clubs, managers, and supporters was due to a begrudging respect as a result of the close rivalry. It was acknowledged by Cork fans that if results went south then the style of football would be in for added criticism. Cork fans were probably more critical of the style of play than Dundalk fans were. I'm still quite surprised how much it has got under the skins of Cork fans. Double winners for the first time less than 2 years ago, cup wins after years of turmoil. A draw against St Pats made retaining the league tough in August and the tides turned very quickly for Caulfield, though maybe Cork fans anticipated some of what lay ahead?. I wouldnt have given a damn how we played if we were winning titles or cared what anyone else thought - then I did cut my LoI teeth watching Turlough O'Connors 1 nil specials and was one of many tortured watching 1st Division football at its worst!

12. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I dont think Dundalk threw too much at Cork for their style of play.
    I wouldn't agree with you at all there.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    I wouldn't agree with you at all there.
    Even Cork fans became highly critical of the style of play once the slide happened after 2017.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Even Cork fans became highly critical of the style of play once the slide happened after 2017.
    City fans were critical of the style before even that. Maguire's goals and the cup win in 2016 followed by the double in 2017 were a godsend for Caulfield and silenced the critics for a spell, but they were always there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    On Neale Fenn's appointment, he is talking about playing good football at least, something that the pragmatic Caulfield never did. Whether he will be successful or not remains to be seen.

For me, when I go to games, I don't want to be bored to tears watching a centre half or full back launching it to the head of the centre forward and scrapping for the 50-50s.

Based on last nights game, Fenn has a huge rebuilding job to do and he basically needs to sign a whole new team. The majority of our lads have gone stale and you'd wonder about their appetite for the game.

Then again, it's amazing what a bit of coaching can do. City reject, Ronan Coughlan looked like a superstar last night and is obviously flourishing under Liam Buckley, but then again, they are 6th in the table and we could have leapfrogged them last night despite our wretched season.

You want something in between Buckley and Caulfield. Hopefully Fenn is the answer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Before Fenn's appointment, I had heard Stephen Rice speaking in an interview where he gave a great insight into coaching and his views on the game and I was impressed. He sounded like someone who could be a good manager in the future and I half hoped he might be in the running for the City job.

What are Shamrock Rovers fans views on him? How is he getting on with the u19s?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Very well thought of and the 19s are playing some nice football. Definite future manager of rovers I would say but will probably have to go elsewhere first.
    Very clear when watching the 19s around him at matches how much respect they have for him

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    Before Fenn's appointment, I had heard Stephen Rice speaking in an interview where he gave a great insight into coaching and his views on the game and I was impressed. He sounded like someone who could be a good manager in the future and I half hoped he might be in the running for the City job.

What are Shamrock Rovers fans views on him? How is he getting on with the u19s?
    He almost seems like the development/education and everything else that comes with coaching academy teams is the side that interests him more than the management side that you get as a first team manager. Wouldn't be surprised to see him stay in academy roles maybe with a coach development role at the FAI or something too.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345