Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Neal Fenn

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts

Neal Fenn

Left Longford ,going to be the new Cork manager with Joe Gamble coming in as well.....
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Seems to be a lot of rumours to that effect alright. Bad timing on his part if true. He's been a decent manager for us and he plays a nice style of football but at the same time I wouldn't say he's overachieved really.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Surely then Collie ONeill being available is a quality ready made replacement at Longford

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    @JamieMoore@JamieMooreSport

More breaking managerial news from the LOI tonight!
    I understand Neale Fenn has left @LongfordTownFC, he was interviewed by @CorkCityFC this week & is expected to be confirmed as their new manager.

Allegedly a source from the club has been saying that there would be an announcement on Thursday at City. Rumours from Longford Town sources say board members were annoyed that Fenn had applied for the City job and refused to let him talk to City, so he went ahead anyway.

I suppose the truth will eventually come out in time.
    Last edited by nr637; 22/08/2019 at 9:38 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Well will help fill the void left by Caulfield and Kenny moving on. Bitter could be back in fashion for Cork and Dundalk next season!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Some Town fans will lead you to believe that the sun shines out of Fenn's behind. Others can see beyond the media savvy and twitter presence. He's doing very well to get the Cork job, if that's the case.

Poor tactical calls in bigger games throughout his 2-year spell with Longford would be my biggest criticism of him (especially against Shels). Lots of players were signed - some worked out well, more did not.

The standard of the First Division is so far behind the Premier, that this is a big step up for him. It should be pointed out that with just 3 games left, we're still not even guaranteed a play off position yet. Last season, we didn't even reach them. When you consider that half the division's clubs are just about keeping their heads above water, he hasn't achieved a whole lot.

Fair play to Cork. Their 7-0 win in Longford last September was obviously a good enough audition for them to take him on

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Left Longford ,going to be the new Cork manager with Joe Gamble coming in as well.....
    Not a surprise to be honest, his name has been mentioned since Caulfield's departure. Well regarded in Cork from his playing days there, and no surprise to see his old business partner back as well. All in all an appointment that should keep most Cork fans happy.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Surely a man of integrity like Neale Fenn would not just walk away.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Surely a man of integrity like Neale Fenn would not just walk away AGAIN .
    Fixed that for you Ez

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    I'd rather have a Tipton then a Fenn, yes I would, if I only could I surely would.

Matthew Tipton for Longford!

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hollocaine View Post
    Some Town fans will lead you to believe that the sun shines out of Fenn's behind. Others can see beyond the media savvy and twitter presence. He's doing very well to get the Cork job, if that's the case.

Poor tactical calls in bigger games throughout his 2-year spell with Longford would be my biggest criticism of him (especially against Shels). Lots of players were signed - some worked out well, more did not.

The standard of the First Division is so far behind the Premier, that this is a big step up for him. It should be pointed out that with just 3 games left, we're still not even guaranteed a play off position yet. Last season, we didn't even reach them. When you consider that half the division's clubs are just about keeping their heads above water, he hasn't achieved a whole lot.

Fair play to Cork. Their 7-0 win in Longford last September was obviously a good enough audition for them to take him on
    I'd be in agreement with the above. I'll be disappointed to see him go to be honest but it's far from the disaster that some might think it is.

As Hollocaine mentioned, his big game record is pretty atrocious. He's achieved nothing out of the ordinary given the backing and squads he's had.

He undoubtedly improved our style of football but at the end of the day, it's lead to nothing really bar a likely playoff appearance this season which is the bare minimum he should have been aiming for at the start of the year.

Leaving before the end of the season with promotion still a possibility (even though extremely unlikely imo) leaves a bit of a sour taste but given his track record as a player, anyone that's surprised by his actions is probably a bit foolish.

Good luck to him. He'll need it I'd say.

15. Thanks From:

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Will be extremely disappointed if true. Knew we wouldn't keep him much longer but to walk out at this stage of the season will be a bitter pill to swallow.

On Hollocaine's above comments I would agree he has let himself down tactically in some of the big games, I was absolutely furious with our performance on Saturday night and the tactics and refusal to change them until it was too late was extremely frustrating.

However, Fenn took over a club that was in the sh1t post cousins and Mathews and not only was his football a breath of fresh air what he did off the pitch was too. Hence why the next appointment should be along the same lines, we can't afford to go back to a dinosaur like cousins or Mathews.

Would have had no issue with him moving on to bigger and better things and would have wished him every success but to do it this way is absolutely rotten. Surprised there's still no official LTFC comment but perhaps they are waiting for Cork to announce it which may lead to something juicy in response. We weight and sea

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    It would be very poor form of Fenn to walk out on a club at the business end of the season.

If Cork want to appoint him as their new manager, why not do it at the end of the season?

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    It would be very poor form of Fenn to walk out on a club at the business end of the season.

If Cork want to appoint him as their new manager, why not do it at the end of the season?
    From Cork's point of view I guess they'd want a new man in ASAP. Longford's season is of no concern to them. If he has been offered the job Fenn, you'd think, could request to wait til the end of LTFC's season. But you have to remember Neale Fenn is a cnut.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    If Harps can keep up the recovery a Longford Town V Cork City relegation playoff would be great craic.
    Come on Harps

23. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Cork City is one of the biggest jobs in Irish football. Fenn must have done one hell of an interview if he is getting it because there is very little (is there anything at all?) on his management CV to justify giving it to him. Caulfield was a risky appointment also but did at least have a track record of success in intermediate football.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

25. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post

Cork owe nothing to any other club.

It makes absolute sense to get him in at this stage of the season to :

a) Ensure he can fully assess the squad, set up etc between now and the start of next season, to get a head start.
    b) Know which players he'll want to keep when their contracts end at the end of the season, and be in a position to sign/extend others he wants.
    c) Have a shot at European qualification via an FAI Cup run.
    d) Stave off the slight threat of getting drawn into a relegation dogfight.
    e) Maximise income between now and the end of the season via both Cup games and league finish.
    f) If he turns out to be a disaster, the club will see signs of that earlier than if they waited later to sign him.
    g) Someone else could sign him as manager in the meantime if they waited !

27. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Cork City is one of the biggest jobs in Irish football. Fenn must have done one hell of an interview if he is getting it because there is very little (is there anything at all?) on his management CV to justify giving it to him. Caulfield was a risky appointment also but did at least have a track record of success in intermediate football.
    Perception is a funny thing in football,id have said Tim Clancy has outperformed Fenn for 2 seasons in a row in direct competition with him but probably wasn't even a consideration....
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    I'm whelmed. Any managerial appointment is a risk. Fenn would not have been my first choice given his track record but our performance next year will likely come down to his signings more than any great tactical nous. If he can have us back in the top four he'll be considered a success. Expectations will be much higher at City than he would have faced in Longford so hopefully hes prepared for that.
    I feel a bit sorry for Longford to be losing their manager so close to the end of the season but we need to look after ourselves and get our squad ready for 2020. I suspect Fenn was told its now or we move on to our second choice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Daire Doyle to step into the hot seat at Longford?

Or will Longford want someone with managerial experience.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast