Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Neal Fenn

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Bit shocked by this. It’s a massive appointment in regards to the future direction of Cork and appointing Fenn is no better than a punt.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Couch Potato View Post
    Daire Doyle to step into the hot seat at Longford?

Or will Longford want someone with managerial experience.
    I'm not sure what badges Daire has, I think it's only a B licence. Collie O'Neill would be a good option though I wonder what happened that UCD decided to get rid of him? It's not like them to sack a manager.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    I'm not sure what badges Daire has, I think it's only a B licence. Collie O'Neill would be a good option though I wonder what happened that UCD decided to get rid of him? It's not like them to sack a manager.
    Must have been trouble off the pitch aswell as on it this year , they have been a shambles.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    I for one am furious with the announcement about Fenn. Its the second time we have lost a manager to Cork City after Alan Mathews.

Fenn has done nothing the last few weeks which leads to the suspicion he had his mind made up to go if we couldnt compete for the title? I thought his body language didnt look great all any time I saw him. I think he must be getting his full badges shortly.

I really hope Fenn doenst go after any of our players. I am sure our board would tell him where to go if they are under contract.

Fenn has form for this sort of thing but I wish him the best of luck going to Cork. The Cork fans will be more demanding if things go wrong and I am sure Foras wont be as understanding as our board was.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Fair play to Fenn. He obviously has aspirations to manage at a decent sized club. It could go well for him, depending on how the BOM at city treat him.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    For all the improvement in football style and affable public persona, his end product is not that far removed from what Cousins would have achieved with us.

If by any chance we could end up with O'Neill out of this situation then i'd think we would be up on the deal..

7. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    There aren't many if any of our players that Cork should be aiming to sign to be fair Marty!

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Any chance Longford would take Gary Cronin back?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I for one am furious with the announcement about Fenn. Its the second time we have lost a manager to Cork City after Alan Mathews.

Fenn has done nothing the last few weeks which leads to the suspicion he had his mind made up to go if we couldnt compete for the title? I thought his body language didnt look great all any time I saw him. I think he must be getting his full badges shortly.

I really hope Fenn doenst go after any of our players. I am sure our board would tell him where to go if they are under contract.

Fenn has form for this sort of thing but I wish him the best of luck going to Cork. The Cork fans will be more demanding if things go wrong and I am sure Foras wont be as understanding as our board was.
    You are surprised that Neale Fenn has shown a lack professionalism, due courtesy to his current club, and is very much in the mé féin camp!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    There aren't many if any of our players that Cork should be aiming to sign to be fair Marty!
    Wonder would Steacy be able for the step up? Has done little wrong in terms of goalkeeping and his distribution is very good, probably the best keeper we've ever had with his feet, so would fit in to what Fenn wants. Cork need to look for a new No. 1 for the future, bit of a risk and would be a big lifestyle shift for him to commit to moving down there as well of course. Having thought about it some more, I think I remember him saying he was beginning a 3rd level course in Dublin next year, so a move is probably out of the question in any case.

If anyone trys to sign Aodh I'll fight them.

Totally ok with Fenn leaving if Town managed to hire Collie honestly.
    Last edited by Acornvilla; 22/08/2019 at 6:38 PM.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    It seems like more of a marriage of convenience than anything. I think there's a bit of sentiment involved in it. Fenn is very well regarded by most Cork City supporters for his time there as a player.

I'm not really sure about him as a manager. He seems a little bit linear in his thinking and the way he sets Longford up as a side. They always aim to play football, even when it's not on, but they don't like doing the other side of the game. A team like Drogheda under Clancy is a lot more pragmatic, they can play and they're also very comfortable when it comes to the physical side of the game. The same can't be said for Longford in my experiences and you can expose them a bit if you get physical with them and disrupt them.

Fenn's had two seasons with Longford now with a very competitive First Division budget, last year he didn't even make the top four for a Play-off, this year it looks like they will make it, but I wouldn't back them against say Harps. I'd be far more confident of Drogheda going up ahead of them. If Longford fail to go up again and Fenn does goes south you can be sure he'll try and take Aodh Dervin with him. Either way I would say this is his last year with Longford, somebody like Bohs will pick him up maybe, his promise can only go unnoticed by the bigger clubs for so long and Longford probably need Premier Division football to retain him.

Overall feel that Fenn flatters to deceive and is a bit of a me-feiner and a good networker in the game. He doesn't adapt his game enough and sort of reminds me of the way Kenny Shiels always insisted on playing football on poor pitches then moaned about it afterwards, but never adapted like the better managers did. Fenn hasn't exactly uprooted any trees at Longford but has brought in a nice brand of football and developed a few very good players and made some shrewd signings like Steacy. Does that make him suitable to take over one of the biggest clubs in the country? I don't think so.

It's very harsh on Longford if he does walk out before the season is over.
    Last edited by Olander; 22/08/2019 at 7:05 PM.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

15. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Try and take Aodh Dervin is it Olander? Yes he'd be one capable of stepping up, as could Steacy in terms of playing Premier Division. Dean Byrne in the right set up too potentially, but I'm thinking of Cork as a likely title challenger.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Try and take Aodh Dervin is it Olander? Yes he'd be one capable of stepping up, as could Steacy in terms of playing Premier Division. Dean Byrne in the right set up too potentially, but I'm thinking of Cork as a likely title challenger.
    Sorry yes, forgot to put his name in. Edited now.

A superb player with huge potential. Really a joy to watch over the last few season, even as an opposition supporter.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Fenn did not inform any Town official about his desire to interview with Cork City. He went behind the clubs back. Very poor form.....but we should not be surprised.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Couch Potato View Post
    Daire Doyle to step into the hot seat at Longford?

Or will Longford want someone with managerial experience.
    I've been told Doyle has it until end of season but a meeting has been scheduled for tonight to go through all options.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    One player nobody has mentioned that Fenn may take is Elworthy, Fenn has previously stated he feels Elworthy is the best RB in the division and he thinks very very highly of Breslin on the opposite side, could see him taking those two with him. Aodh Dervin and Dean Byrne be the other two he might consider while Steacy definitely won't be here next season he's been superb.

Just on some of the comments above, a lot of people Saying Fenn only plays one way and doesn't mix it up enough like Drogs (who we've beaten 3/3 times this season). We have been far more direct this season than in the past under Fenn we must don't have a decent target man or striker so it's been ineffective. In Interviews I've done with him in recent seasons we've often talked about how he has changed his approach to opt for a more direct system when needed. It's not a long ball game it's just getting the ball into the final 3rd quicker. But as I said, it's not worked at all this year without a striker.

21. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Cork owe nothing to any other club.

It makes absolute sense to get him in at this stage of the season to :

a) Ensure he can fully assess the squad, set up etc between now and the start of next season, to get a head start.
    b) Know which players he'll want to keep when their contracts end at the end of the season, and be in a position to sign/extend others he wants.
    c) Have a shot at European qualification via an FAI Cup run.
    d) Stave off the slight threat of getting drawn into a relegation dogfight.
    e) Maximise income between now and the end of the season via both Cup games and league finish.
    f) If he turns out to be a disaster, the club will see signs of that earlier than if they waited later to sign him.
    g) Someone else could sign him as manager in the meantime if they waited !
    Absolute and total............right thing to do from Corks point of view next Season starts the minute Fenn parks his car

23. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post

Surely Longford don't have any players under contract for 2020?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    You are surprised that Neale Fenn has shown a lack professionalism, due courtesy to his current club, and is very much in the mé féin camp!?
    Anyone in Irish football who's not a mé féiner is an idiot, to be fair. I include Dan Carr in that - did exactly what was right for him and fair play.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Surely Longford don't have any players under contract for 2020?
    The tea lady.....does she count??

27. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast