Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: uefa announce " liverpool need to finish 4th "

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

uefa announce " liverpool need to finish 4th "

to get into next years comp also expected today is the fa announcement to be the same .

only fair really

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Absolutely. Teams like Everton have been chasing 4th place for ages with CL qualification as their reward and it'd be disgraceful if the goalposts were moved right at the end.

I'm sure most Liverpool fans would be magnanimous enough to accept that.

If I was Liverpool fan I'd take winning it this year and not being in it next year as being a more than satisfactory return.

I think it's sad that CL qualification seems to be more important now than actually winning things like the FA Cup. I know it's down to money but really, it's all about trophies if you're a fan.

Maybe the 4th English CL spot should go to the FA Cup winner. If the FA Cup winner has already qualified by virtue of a top 3 finish, then give it to 4th place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Don't worry.

If we win it for a fifth time, they said we can keep it.

Well if they dont let us back in next year, they're not getting it back (if we win).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    its is harsh on liverpool if they win it but its not like they wont be in the top 4 next year , where as if everton missed out it could set us back years again , but the cash from getting to champs league will make us a big club again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    Teams like Everton have been chasing 4th place for ages with CL qualification as their reward and it'd be disgraceful if the goalposts were moved right at the end.

Chasing 4th / avoiding relegation.

Anyway, they only 'move goalposts' for the likes of Real Madrid
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    imo whoever wins the champions league should have the right to go into the competition the following season to defend their title. afaik this happened in spain where madrid won it and replaced real zaragoza who finished in a champs league place. thus uefa have set a precident.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by green army
    imo whoever wins the champions league should have the right to go into the competition the following season to defend their title.
    Its not the case with bigger tournaments like the World Cup or the European Championships so I don't see why it should be different with the CL. Liverpool knew at the start of the year the would have to finish in the top 4 to qualify for the CL. Brazil knew they would have to finish in the top 4/5 of their South American league to qualify for the world cup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by green army
    imo whoever wins the champions league should have the right to go into the competition the following season to defend their title. afaik this happened in spain where madrid won it and replaced real zaragoza who finished in a champs league place. thus uefa have set a precident.
    You're right on that but as far as I remember it was the Spanish FA's decision, therefore while the precedent is there, it's not UEFA's
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You should be automatically allowed to defend your title if you win it.Simple as that. I don't think Everton should have they're qualification taken away from them at all to allow this but allowances should be made in the future.

They moved the goalposts for Madrid as has already been pointed out.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse
    They moved the goalposts for Madrid as has already been pointed out.
    UEFA didn't - the Spanish FA did, shockingly enough as it was Madrid. Still the English FA's decision, as it has been all along.

The winners automatic qualification has been dropped by UEFA for the European Championship, dropped by FIFA for the World Cup, so why not the Champions League?

Frankly, if Liverpool are good enough to win the Champions League, but not good enough to take 4th place in the league then they don't deserve it due to their own inconsistency. They've no one to blame but themselves....
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    even if they win it they dont deserve it , they should have lost to juve bar poor refering disalloud goal and peno turned down , they did nt even score against chelsea again poor ref ,

milan v liverpool final boring

"champions league !?! im having a bath !!!!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anto1208
    even if they win it they dont deserve it , they should have lost to juve bar poor refering disalloud goal and peno turned down , they did nt even score against chelsea again poor ref ,

milan v liverpool final boring

"champions league !?! im having a bath !!!!"
    Nothing like sour grapes eh

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse
    Nothing like sour grapes eh
    no its called fact . juve were robbed ye did nt score against chelsea , both liverpool and milan are defensive team s so its going to be a rubbish game .

plus i am having a bath FACT !!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    The winners automatic qualification has been dropped by UEFA for the European Championship, dropped by FIFA for the World Cup, so why not the Champions League?

All I'm saying is that IMO you should have the right to defend your crown should you win it.

Just because UEFA and FIFA have dropped their automatic qualifiers doesn't make it the right decision...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anto1208
    no its called fact . juve were robbed ye did nt score against chelsea , both liverpool and milan are defensive team s so its going to be a rubbish game .

plus i am having a bath FACT !!!
    In the trough is it???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    As a Liverpool fan I think whoever comes fourth gets the CL place. That was the deal from the start of the season so they should stick to it. It would be completly unfair to Everton if they got the fourth spot and didn't qualify.

Benitez has done amazingly well getting the team so far in Europe this season. I don't think he has got to grips with the Premiership yet and that should be his priority next season. Maybe not qualifying for the CL would be a mixed blessing as I don't think the UEFA Cup would be a major priority giving him more time to concentrate on domestic performances. Saying that they would miss out on the CL revenue. Hopefully winning it this year will swell the coffers substantially.
    "I'd rather play in front of a full house than an empty crowd" Johnny Giles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotsy
    As a Liverpool fan I think whoever comes fourth gets the CL place. That was the deal from the start of the season so they should stick to it. It would be completly unfair to Everton if they got the fourth spot and didn't qualify.

Benitez has done amazingly well getting the team so far in Europe this season. I don't think he has got to grips with the Premiership yet and that should be his priority next season. Maybe not qualifying for the CL would be a mixed blessing as I don't think the UEFA Cup would be a major priority giving him more time to concentrate on domestic performances. Saying that they would miss out on the CL revenue. Hopefully winning it this year will swell the coffers substantially.
    Completely agree.. Benitez is bound to attract big players this summer. If Liverpool can concentrate solely on the title next season, produce performances like those we have seen on their european nights, god knows what could happen.. Let the poor evertonians have their holiday abroad next season,im sure there won't be many..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kicko
    Completely agree.. Benitez is bound to attract big players this summer. If Liverpool can concentrate solely on the title next season, produce performances like those we have seen on their european nights, god knows what could happen.. Let the poor evertonians have their holiday abroad next season,im sure there won't be many..
    i love it when liverpool get their hopes up
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinZac
    i love it when liverpool get their hopes up
    im sure you were loving it tuesday so...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    the fa have now also announced it will be the team in 4th that get the champ l. place

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast