Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Tonight's gamesTonight's - 16 August

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Hoban is ( by far) the best proven striker in the league. Apart from his finishing, his ability to win ball and keep possession makes room for other attacking players . Can`t really understand why it didn`t work out for him in the lower leagues. I would be surprised if Dundalk don`t offer him a new contract
    I could suggest a reason but it might open up the Graham Burke debate again.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I could suggest a reason but it might open up the Graham Burke debate again.
    Couldn`t adapt to being a smalll fish in a big pond? Absence of Tayto ( not the northern muck), Kearns Sausages, Downs Cake shop, Williams Jam?
    Just not good enough?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Might just be Loft
    A Scottish caddie told me the problem with my golf game (having missed a green that he informed me was almost 3 quarters of an acre in size) was Loft.
    I looked at my club and wondered how i could correct the Loft at which point he told me Loft was him being polite my problem was Lack Of Fucking Talent

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Couldn`t adapt to being a smalll fish in a big pond? Absence of Tayto ( not the northern muck), Kearns Sausages, Downs Cake shop, Williams Jam?
    Just not good enough?
    Just not an English sort of hatstand.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Hoban is ( by far) the best proven striker in the league. Apart from his finishing, his ability to win ball and keep possession makes room for other attacking players . Can`t really understand why it didn`t work out for him in the lower leagues. I would be surprised if Dundalk don`t offer him a new contract
    I don't know why it didn't work out for him in England, but I am certainly glad he came back to Dundalk

Although he offers a lot more than simply scoring goals, his goal scoring rate in this league is outstanding

In 3 full seasons at Dundalk he has scored 63 league goals, while earlier this season he set a new club record of 70 league goals when he scored in April in the 2-1 win over Shamrock Rovers.

I think it likely that he will end at the top of the Premier Division goal scoring charts again this season for the 4th time in his 4 seasons (jointly with Christy Fagan in 2014).

He may not have the pace that is required to cut it at the highest levels, but he certainly is well ahead of any striker currently playing in this league

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Just not good enough?
    I thought it was because he was too good?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Open Play League Goals

Greene 11
    Parkhouse 10
    Parkes 8
    Uzokwe 8
    Dinny 7
    Byrne 7
    Duffy 7
    McEneff 6
    Hoban 6
    Mandriou 6

I think it is reasonable to exclude penos when judging a player as goalscoring records can look way better over the course of a career if massaged by penos.
    The Peter Crouch podcast (which is beyond brilliant for anyone who hasn't discovered it) had an episode on penos and Peter Crouch was lamenting that he took very few penos as he never pushed forward and was saying there were people ahead of him in the goal-scoring charts who were not as good strikers.
    Hoban is a good striker who is having a poor run of form it happens, i don't watch enough Dundalk games to know what else he contributes.
    Greene kept his place at the beginning of he season for the work he was doing to create stuff for others, when people were complaining about the chances he was misisng he was one of the most effective players on the pitch for us, its nice to see him getting a few goals now to top off the good workrate. The screamer he scored against Appolon seems to have given him a confidence boost and strikers feed on confidence, Hobans cup goals may give him the lift he needs
    How dare you undermine Pat Hoban (and my post) with mere stats!!

There is some amount of fun listening on the Crouch podcast but at times its like listening to a bunch of kids with an old tape recorder acting the maggot!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 21/08/2019 at 9:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Yeah I agree i think they have started to believe they are entertaining in their own rite as opposed to it being interesting listening to Peter crouch talk about the minutia of life as a professional footballer...some of the behind the scenes stuff that we never hear about is really interesting. Listening to him sometimes makes me realise the loi isn't that different to the premier league just the money is different, people are the same we just don't get access to the premier league players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I'm bringing a 9 year old neighbours son to the rovers match on Friday, he is dressed constantly in a Liverpool jersey , can name off the whole team but he told me he has NEVER been in a football stadium....sad but true.
    Hope drogs oblige and roll over the kid thinks I'm this harmless well mannered old guy who lives up the road
    Last edited by sbgawa; 21/08/2019 at 11:06 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Just not an English sort of hatstand.
    If he was, would that make him a bowler? Appropriate enough with some of the recent cricket scores we've seen, I suppose.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I'm bringing a 9 year old neighbours son to the rovers match on Friday, he is dressed constantly in a Liverpool jersey , can name off the whole team but he told me he has NEVER been in a football stadium....sad but true.
    Hope drogs oblige and roll over the kid thinks I'm this harmless well mannered old guy who lives up the road
    ......edges quickly backwards.....'Hello, is that TUSLA'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    The scene cuts to an emotionally charged press conference. Tearful parents struggle to express their grief. "He was just a sweet innocent 9 year old boy. Then some weird old pervert took him away from us... to see Shamrock Rovers."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Enough now boys , his Dad is coming as well €20 into the Shamrock Rovers war chest to use for Pat Hooban's signing on fee

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    <SNIP>

MOD NOTE- Let's just play nicely here and not throw around crazy alleagations
    Last edited by Mr A; 22/08/2019 at 12:38 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456