Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Switzerland- 5th September 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    If Maguire misses out cause of head injury long coming in makes us stronger I think off the bench with mcgoldrick and Robinson likely to start in front three along with mcclean.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts

3. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    McCarthy clearly has no time for Long at all, James Collins added to the list of lower division strikers who are getting picked before him.

James McCarthy fully fit but pulls out of the squad, committed as ever. Glenn Whelan a cert to start now.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Well Mick doesn’t like Long anyway

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    McCarthy clearly has no time for Long at all, James Collins added to the list of lower division strikers who are getting picked before him.

James McCarthy fully fit but pulls out of the squad, committed as ever. Glenn Whelan a cert to start now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Well Mick doesn’t like Long anyway
    Yeah, this one I would question - I know Long has had his issues in front of goal (and that Collins has stepped up to Championship level well, scoring his third yesterday), but he's our only active striker who has actually scored internationally (unless you count Aiden O'Brien); he's our only active striker with more than one Premier League goal; and he's seventh on our all-time goalscoring list, with a goal to caps ratio comparable to Quinn and Cascarino. And as his goal against Germany showed, he's a great option to bring off the bench against a defence tired by a hardworking forward line

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Do you really think that was a slip?
    Its 1.19 mins secs into this clip

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...ui2HBWN-4z4Y-v
    Actually I saw that yesterday and my first thought was yep that was a dive, you have to do what you can these says, all fair in love and war etc...

However looking at it again he has been very hard done by.

It is beyond doubt Morrison clipped his ankle, you can see Morrison is nowhere near the ball when he taps his ankle, it is a "tap tackle" as it in
    known in rugby and there is no way you can stay on your feet from one
    of those.

Arter might have made meal of it, not even sure of that but he was fouled so it is a free kick to him. It is very hard to stay on your feet when someone clips your ankle it affects your whole balance, I think he was very hard done by.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49456552
    Man of the match - Callum Robinson (Sheffield United)

Callum Robinson scored from one of his four shots, and was 100% accurate with his 21 passes during the game
    100% is quite high for a forward, you rarely see higher.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49456552

100% is quite high for a forward, you rarely see higher.
    his form on saturday (from what i saw on MOTD) would give me some hope for Thursday. Himself and enda stevens combined very well at times down the left side

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    Do we know the yellow card was given for simulation? Despite what the commentators said my impression was that the yellow was given for dissent. You just can't get on like that.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Actually I saw that yesterday and my first thought was yep that was a dive, you have to do what you can these says, all fair in love and war etc...

However looking at it again he has been very hard done by.

It is beyond doubt Morrison clipped his ankle, you can see Morrison is nowhere near the ball when he taps his ankle, it is a "tap tackle" as it in
    known in rugby and there is no way you can stay on your feet from one
    of those.

Arter might have made meal of it, not even sure of that but he was fouled so it is a free kick to him. It is very hard to stay on your feet when someone clips your ankle it affects your whole balance, I think he was very hard done by.
    Watch it again and check out the little roll he does at the end, regardless of the various opinions the trip, the dive, the slip. the pathetic roll itself is deigned to fool the ref

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Definite dive because he doesn’t go down with the contact.
    He takes another step and then decides to hit the deck

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    I know I will burn in hell for this, but I think we should play the long ball system on Thursday

I had a look at the swiss defense and they were beyond hopeless dealing with balls being launched at them

Also our midfield is no match for theirs

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    I'm pretty sure we will, most of these lads can't string three passes together. 'Direct' football and set pieces is where we're at for now sadly.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Long is a man for the Long ball . Something is amiss here . A falling out / Shane fed up of it / something else .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    If our system is some kind of 4-5-1/4-3-3 situation I actually think we’ll enjoy our share of the ball. Georgia are no Switzerland but they dominated possession against us last campaign and we had more control this time around under Mick. Having a midfield three of Whelan behind Hourihane and Hendrick if that is indeed the selection will allow us to hold our own in the middle of the park.

My main concern isn’t possession but rather the ability to create/finish chances.

I don’t see an obvious immediate solution to that with the personnel we have, just hoping it’s a matter of time before some of our young prospects break through.

For now I think Robinson is the only player capable of consistently creating something from open play. Likely we’ll be relying on set pieces — which honestly I have a lot of faith in with the quality of Hourihane’s delivery and Duffy’s capability to dominate aerially.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Mick says that Long's absence is purely down to lack of playing time and that he is willing to bring him back in once he's playing - I think this is a debatable rationale with a player of Long's experience and calibre (will four or five games really make that much of a difference), but it does indicate that there's still a chance we'll see him in the last three qualifiers: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019...on-shane-long/

Incidentally, I will say, having seen the Swiss squad sheet and where they all ply their trades, that we are definitely the underdogs again for this tie so we will have to be at our absolute best to get something from it - if we do, then Mick and the players deserve enormous credit

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I agree with Robinson. And it's a pity that he will be playing wider than he is at club level. To compound that, I don't think McClean has looked like scoring much for us so we don't have a goal threat on that side when we should. The heroics of Austria in 2016 and Wales in 2017 feel a long time ago.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    A lot of praise around for Stevens and his displays for Sheffield United. He has looked good for us at left back but I think playing in a flatter back four is depriving us of his attacking abilities. The same would be the case if Doherty was at right back. I wonder whether it will get to the point where we just need to go with the 3-5-2 to make the most of what we have. Given that we already play with a midfield 3, we can maintain that.

I don't see us getting to that point. I think McCarthy is going to stick with this 4-3-2-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Mick says that Long's absence is purely down to lack of playing time and that he is willing to bring him back in once he's playing -
    He’d no problem playing McAteer when he couldn’t get a sniff of game time from Souness

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    He has no problem picking Hendrick either who has fewer minutes this season than Long. I remember this being an issue with Mick the first time around, he would make a big play on some players not being first choice at their clubs but would then completely ignore it for others like Mcateer and Mark Kennedy.
    Last edited by Eirambler; 03/09/2019 at 9:58 AM.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast