Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jonathan Afolabi (F KV Kortrijk b.2000)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    ......... He'd probably have even been better suited sticking with Bolton for another year.
    Bolton are in meltdown

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Him signing for Celtic doesnt even warrant a mention on their own website!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Yep saw that. Lennon really keeping him “under the radar.”

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    The Guardian claim that it's a more normal 3 year deal, not the 2 that Sky reported.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Three year deal confirmed by Celtic: http://www.celticfc.net/news/16676
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Lennon saying today that he's looking to bring in 'three or four more' before the Scottish transfer window closes. Hard to see how Afolabi or Connell play much first team football this season to be honest, unless they go out on loan.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    i can't see lennon still being there past christmas so wouldn't be overly concerned, though if he brings in a load of mediocre players it could prove harder for youngsters to push on.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Celtic's transfer model these days isn't really all about bringing in ready made first team players. They sign a fair amount of prospects with a view to allowing them to bed in for a year or two and then replacing the best players who get sold. When average players cost 20 million these days it's their only chance of getting hold of decent players like Wanyama, Van Djik, Rogic, Christie, Ajer.

Afolabi is one of these prospect signings. Edouard is a class act and will be off in a year. Griffiths has had his personal problems and has been there for a good few years now and won't be getting any better at this rate. So in a year or less there will be a slot available as Celtic's main striker. If Afolabi shows enough in training and as part of the squad to management over the next year then he will get his chance. Its up to him. If he's good enough there's a clear path to him being Celtic's top striker in a year so from that perspective it's not a bad move at all.

If that doesn't come to pass he will have to move on to a lower Scottish club or league 1 club in a bid to get games and establish himself.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I agree with all of this. It is much tougher for a young midfielder like Connell to break in. There are many examples of young Scottish midfielders having to push hard and go on loans to get into the side (Morgan, McGregor, Christie). The strikers get in earlier- like Edouard and Dembele. They get good supply and plenty chances. Take them and you're in great shape. Afolabi looks a mature player which is a help. His path is very clear.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Connell's path my be clearer the way Bolingoli is defending!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I agree with all of this. It is much tougher for a young midfielder like Connell to break in. There are many examples of young Scottish midfielders having to push hard and go on loans to get into the side (Morgan, McGregor, Christie). The strikers get in earlier- like Edouard and Dembele. They get good supply and plenty chances. Take them and you're in great shape. Afolabi looks a mature player which is a help. His path is very clear.
    I agree with that - I think the lack of development infrastructure at Celtic shouldn't be too much of a hindrance for Afolabi as he appears ready to step up to first team action, having already three years in the Southampton development system. As I noted also, there are only three other forwards in Celtic's first-team squad, which means there's a good chance we'll be seeing him on the bench reasonably soon. There is one other aspect of Celtic which might aid him, and that is the much-maligned imbalance in the Scottish Premiership, which has left Celtic as the dominant force over the past few years. Here's how this could help him: on eight or nine occasions each season over the past two, Celtic have led by three or more goals at around the 75 minute mark, essentially meaning the tie is over as a contest. This gives the manager, whether it's Lennon or somebody else, an incentive to withdraw his main strikers to rest up for bigger contests and test the other forwards at his disposal - hopefully this will work to Afolabi's advantage in getting some reasonable game time.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    I agree with that - I think the lack of development infrastructure at Celtic shouldn't be too much of a hindrance for Afolabi as he appears ready to step up to first team action, having already three years in the Southampton development system. As I noted also, there are only three other forwards in Celtic's first-team squad, which means there's a good chance we'll be seeing him on the bench reasonably soon. There is one other aspect of Celtic which might aid him, and that is the much-maligned imbalance in the Scottish Premiership, which has left Celtic as the dominant force over the past few years. Here's how this could help him: on eight or nine occasions each season over the past two, Celtic have led by three or more goals at around the 75 minute mark, essentially meaning the tie is over as a contest. This gives the manager, whether it's Lennon or somebody else, an incentive to withdraw his main strikers to rest up for bigger contests and test the other forwards at his disposal - hopefully this will work to Afolabi's advantage in getting some reasonable game time.
    Making the Europa League ought to encourage some squad rotation too.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I'd be more concerned if it were only a one or 2 year deal, 3 years is a good sign of confidence in him. He could be farmed out on loan for half a season.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Celtic looking like bringing in at least one more senior forward before the window shuts.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Not sure what to believe out there any more but not surprised if this is true as Afolabi was truly impressive to my eye during the Euro 19s. Lennon “blown away” by him in training. Possibility of him seeing a taste of first team action soon:
    https://www.footballinsider247.com/never-before-seen-celtic-player-set-for-major-role-after-lennon-blown-away-in-training-sources/amp/

A couple of injuries at right back have pushed O’Connor up in the pecking order. And Lennon name checking Connell as being injured when discussing first team squad is also promising. I’m cautiously optimistic. Especially when thinking of the potential to re-ignite the Celtic and Ireland link, I’d imagine there’s pressure from upstairs to give one of them a chance. Would be fruitful for all in the longer term, certainly not too much to lose given the standard (or absence) of competition in the SPL

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I agree Tommy, Afolabi really stood out in the 19s. Strong, fast and powerful.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Absolutely brilliant at running the channels but good coming short. And a finishing game that's improving all the time. Cracker.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Scored in first half for reserves vs Motherwell. O’Connor and Connell also starting. Armstrong Okoflex and Coffey on bench. Connell featuring prominently on the twitter updates https://mobile.twitter.com/celticfcacademy?lang=en

Celtic play Hamilton at home in Wednesday evening. Let’s hope one of our boys feature here with Lennon needing to rest players prior to weekends league cup final

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    It's honestly depressing watching these lads wasting their time playing Motherwell reserves and the likes. Why have Scotland produced so few top level players in the last 20 years? Because Celtic and Rangers are clubs where good young players go to watch their careers stagnate, playing reserve football at Leinster Senior League level while their contemporaries are getting a proper footballing education with Premier league and championship clubs. Meanwhile the two clubs constantly fill their senior team with mediocre signings from around the world so that their youth players never get any first team experience.

What someone like Lee O'Connor was thinking going there is beyond me, I think these lads think because it's Scotland they'll stroll into the first team. But it rarely works out like that and the development system here is a shambles.

If none of them get a start Wednesday night then we can forget about them playing for Celtic any time soon. Maybe a few January loans can save their seasons.
    Last edited by Eirambler; 02/12/2019 at 5:55 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Rumour has it he has been impressing Lennon and is getting close to the senior team.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast