Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Jonathan Afolabi (F Celtic (loaned to Dundee) b.2000)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    362 Posts

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    When Anthony Stokes had his loan with Falkirk he tore up the division and made himself hot property. If Afolabi can do the same I'd be delighted and I'll happily admit I was wrong about him.
    Stokes did that in the top division in Scotland at 18 he was as serious a talent as parrott is now back then pity he never kicked on. Him and bendtner in the youth team at arsenal were not good influences on each other behavioually I'd say

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Stokes did that in the top division in Scotland at 18 he was as serious a talent as parrott is now back then pity he never kicked on. Him and bendtner in the youth team at arsenal were not good influences on each other behavioually I'd say
    Stokes issues went much further than Bentner unfortunately

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Scored today. Hopefully he can score some more goals and attract some interest from an English Championship or League 1 club to reignite his career.

6. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Has been out injured for last while but back training now and should make next match, just missed out at weekend. Update at bottom of this piece:

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/f...rray-davidson/

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,013 Posts
    Goal from the penalty spot for Afolabi today. Valuable 3 points for Dundee against Hearts.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    469 Posts
    Came on to score an equaliser in injury time to deny Bonnyrigg Rose a cup upset: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55512468. Then was subjected to racist abuse by some lowlife: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55605817

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    469 Posts
    Fourth of the season for Afolabi - https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56563639 - that might sound unimpressive as we go into April but he has only played about 600 minutes total - hopefully he'll get more of a chance to prove himself in the last few weeks and put himself in the shop window

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    275 Posts
    I'm not sure where he goes from here to be honest. He has had two fairly uninspiring loan spells in the Scottish second tier now. He is not a first team starter at Dundee so maybe needs to drop down another level to play week in week out. To put his current situation into context Corrie Ndaba, who is a similar age and never got a look in with our Under 21s, is a first team regular in the same division.

Afolabi has a decent contract at Celtic I think so he'll probably want to see that out from a financial point of view but his next permanent move may well be to the League of Ireland.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Long Cox

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    I'm not sure where he goes from here to be honest. He has had two fairly uninspiring loan spells in the Scottish second tier now. He is not a first team starter at Dundee so maybe needs to drop down another level to play week in week out. To put his current situation into context Corrie Ndaba, who is a similar age and never got a look in with our Under 21s, is a first team regular in the same division.

Afolabi has a decent contract at Celtic I think so he'll probably want to see that out from a financial point of view but his next permanent move may well be to the League of Ireland.
    Ndaba was in one of Kenny's first under 21 squads in 2019. He has had a couple of underwhelming loan stints before the Ayr United move at two National League South sides.

Players develop differently. Afolabi hasn't got a whole pile of minutes and has a few goals to his name. He's done well at international level. Why wouldn't another Scottish Championship side want him next season? Jason Cummings is the Dundee FC striker and is older and has goals at Hibernian and he got a goal against Liverpool for Shrewsbury in the FA Cup if I remember correctly- hardly an indictment.
    Last edited by Olé Olé; 07/04/2021 at 10:36 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    275 Posts
    Cummings' career is in a bit of a tailspin to be honest. Possibly Afolabi can get another Championship side next year. Might need to be one further down the table though, Alloa or Arbroath or the likes. I just think he is a classic case of a big lad who looks good at underage level but loses that advantage playing senior men's football and finds the rest of his game isn't good enough to make up the difference. Hope I'm wrong.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Long Cox

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345