Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is the Best Supported Junior Club in Ireland ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Question Who is the Best Supported Junior Club in Ireland ?

A question for all forumites, who is the best supported junior club in Ireland in terms of match attendance? Feel free to include other factors such as noise and colour.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    no junior team has a hardcore support,the crowds will only come out when they actually achieve something on the field first,which is fair enough because the majority of the teams just dont approach matches in a professional manner as it stands. When a bit of success is achieved then you see supporters turn up for matches but when the interest is not there from the club itself. You dont see too many bad junior soccer teams with a lot of supporters at there matches. point proved.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    is there any junior club in the country that could get average over a 100 at every league game. dont think there is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The hardcore usually would be a few buddies from the players, a player's wife wheeling the buggy, two ten year olds kicking a ball on the sideline and a man walking his dog. The crowds only come out for the latter stages of the FAI Junior Cup, it seems, although some junior league and cup games may attract over one hundred people. I'm sure that Fairview Rangers are possibly one of the best supported junior sides in the country. Ballynanty can bring a contingent and the newspapers commented about the Westport support. I'd imagine that the top TSDL sides would carry a good backing also. Support for junior clubs in Dublin is notoriously poor, probably come out for a cup final. I'd imagine clubs in Kilkenny and Waterford can attract a crowd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaster
    The hardcore usually would be a few buddies from the players, a player's wife wheeling the buggy, two ten year olds kicking a ball on the sideline and a man walking his dog. The crowds only come out for the latter stages of the FAI Junior Cup, it seems, although some junior league and cup games may attract over one hundred people. I'm sure that Fairview Rangers are possibly one of the best supported junior sides in the country. Ballynanty can bring a contingent and the newspapers commented about the Westport support. I'd imagine that the top TSDL sides would carry a good backing also. Support for junior clubs in Dublin is notoriously poor, probably come out for a cup final. I'd imagine clubs in Kilkenny and Waterford can attract a crowd.
    I have to say that I found it extremely surprising ,considering their success level,how small the Fairview support is.There were about 200 Limerick people(not all Fairview )at the FAI Junior Cup Final last hear in Waterford.!!The rest of the estinmated 4500 people were from Carrick United.Also their home gates are pretty small.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbourne1904
    I have to say that I found it extremely surprising ,considering their success level,how small the Fairview support is.There were about 200 Limerick people(not all Fairview )at the FAI Junior Cup Final last hear in Waterford.!!The rest of the estinmated 4500 people were from Carrick United.Also their home gates are pretty small.

Twas there 6th final in 8 years..They had a lot more at there first and then again after that it gradually declines plus the fact that the Fai decided to play the game on a saturday night at 7.30 did not help Fairview,It was a discrace that the game was held in the RSC.It was practically a home game for Carrick.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by astalavista
    I have to say balla are probably one of the best supported teams in the country, always a good crowd at their matches irrespective of how they are doing !

i'd have to agree balla are very well supported in good or bad times but its more harm than good sometimes with the abuse they give and the "c'mon ballaaaa" ladies can be a bit distracting to the players

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    While no one club can claim to have big regular support, I believe that by and large if a Limerick team does well and is playing either a big derby, or a out of town side in a major competition, then other clubs will generally support.I would watch Pike Rovers when in Limerick at weekends, and they would average about 70-80 people at home games, plus a few stragglers n the bar. The bar is probably putting 20-30 on to that figure. If there was no bar. ...maybe 50 people on average.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    We have a small club in Co.Clare but i have to say our supporters are second to none...some have even moved there caravan's to the side of the pitch to be near there heros but the refs are giving out about the washing line being tied to the goalpost and the fact that we do our warm up with horse's after us...estimated crowd to a home match is about 6 but Mrs connors is due soon so it will be 7 by next season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by balls
    is there any junior club in the country that could get average over a 100 at every league game. dont think there is.

In Galway, Mervue and Hibs would get close to that amount for home games

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Carrick still have great support for all their games.
    Where else did you expect the last year'sjunior cup final would be on with the support carrick have, lets be real its the f.a.i were on about. MONEY TALKS!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Dont think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry
    In Galway, Mervue and Hibs would get close to that amount for home games
    There is no way Mervue and Hibs would get 100 or so at their home league games unless you included all the players and subs and managers as well. And yes, I have been to quite a few of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I've been to quite a few grounds in Connacht over the years and without having taken a roll of people at each game I would say that Westport Utd would push anyone for top attendance at matches, easily a hundred for each game which swells to larger when their fiercest rivals (Castelebar Celtic) are in town. Add to that the fact that their supporters travel to every game and they are easily the best supported club in Mayo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

Westport support!!!

Westport support is big now compared to two years ago due to the very fact that there are now doing so well in the fai cup. There hardly be any one at they games (apart from the celtic one you mentioned) until now. The whole town is now out to support yea and good luck to that but if the club doesn't have the great days they having now, do you think the support will be there......i don't think so
    For a small club beside Westport, Party Athletic get good number of people to come to they matches (ave 35 maybe more) considering it a tiny village!!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I can remember the sports grounds in Westport being like a ghost town for many years, with maybe Christy Moran and a couple of stray dogs being the only spectators!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The sports park may have been desolate for many years but in the last three years the westport support has grown. It now averages more than any other mayo club. The people supporting westport united now are not 'fair weather' fans, you'll see teh same faces over and over again, and the hardcore (those that were in Jackman/Istanbul at the weekend) even go to places like Urlaur to watch the B team so I don't think it's gonna drop off anytime soon. You have to remember tha average age of the united team is about twenty three so that means another five or six years of good support (if you reckon they'll stop supporting when the team does badly) - thats not bad at all !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Westport following

Quote Originally Posted by gnasher
    The sports park may have been desolate for many years but in the last three years the westport support has grown. It now averages more than any other mayo club. The people supporting westport united now are not 'fair weather' fans, you'll see teh same faces over and over again, and the hardcore (those that were in Jackman/Istanbul at the weekend) even go to places like Urlaur to watch the B team so I don't think it's gonna drop off anytime soon. You have to remember tha average age of the united team is about twenty three so that means another five or six years of good support (if you reckon they'll stop supporting when the team does badly) - thats not bad at all !
    Would have to agree with you there gnasher!, We fell 4-3 to Westport United in the last 64 of the FAI up in Westport and they had very impressive home support!,One thing I will say is that the pitch was poor enough!, its extremely narrow and the surface isn't great!

It is unusual to see an FAI junior football team with a large support, yet poor facilities.

On another note were beaten fair and square on the day and I wish Westport the best of luck in the final!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Angry Westport

Have to say have I been to the port every year for the last ten or so. No support then, Good support now and fair play to them, by the way always played the beautifull game well. However why such facilities ? Has to be the worst in the Super League, How some such 'badly supported' rural clubs can build excellent arenas and yet the Port have nothing. I think after this adventure that the club should take a long look at itself and decide to move on as there has never been as much money available as before and also get up of their arses and sell lotto tickets like the rest of us. Should be easy to sell with all their supposed support ie 100 people sell 20 tickets @ 2€ P.W. is €4K. lot of money so its time to get the finger out dont you think !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mossy Mania

Everyone associated with Westport united would agree 100 percent with you Mossy. The club's facilities are shabby and the pitch is crap. I think the only reason Westport have gone so far in big comp's is the fact that they played 90% of the games away, the type of football they play needs a wide flat pitch. On the other issue, all club members and most supporters should sell tickets, I don't know myself how many do, but I think it's the same with all clubs. The main reason Westport cannot have facilities like other clubs is due to the greed of landowners and the price of property in the town, I dare say that not even the likes of Shels or Bohs could buy the site for a ground and clubhouse in westport or its environs, without getting into serious debt. Sad but true.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    carew park best fans in ireland hahaha
    Mama Mia!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast