Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 590 FirstFirst 123451353103503 ... LastLast

Thread: Munster Senior League

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Castleview were ahead 2-0 last I heard, ROckmount drew one all, travesty. Dominated and should have buried the Mary's lads, but couldn't get the 2nd. Mary's levelled with last kick of the game, first shot on goal all game. (it was a header actually).

Well done Castleview, title theirs after a great season. Nice one.
    The above is all opinion and based on personal experience. Unless stated otherwise it is not a dig at anybody, well probably none of you lot.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    As far as I know Castleview finished 2-0, fair play to Patsy and the lads.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by astalavista
    is douglas hall's season finished now ??
    they are due to play one of our junior teams in the senior cup in two weeks ?
    are they any good ??
    would they be a level about the top junior teams in cork ?
    hall have 1 more league game to play in msl,had a slow start to season but finnishing well.
    due to play carew park in cup should make a good game,any idea at this stage where game is to be played?
    they had a poor start to the season,but signed a few player's and last time i saw them they looked a solid side.
    they would be above the level of a top junior side and on a par with a weaker div1 el side like limerick.hall have a few ex el players like moore/o'donovan and sweeney .

i know nothing about carew but i know the hall are up for this one and i would expect them to win it without a replay in cork.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    carew played their last round in limericks home field "hogan park".
    they beat a team called st peters from athlone i think.
    they were lenister sen league .
    don't know how their actual league compares with msl !
    carew are having a good season and a lot of people expect them to beat douglas and hopefully get a big team in the next round !
    should make for a good competive game then ,i hope to make it if the date/timing is right. hall should have a good support at the game as limerick only a short trip.let's hope the winner does get a good draw in the next round and make a few euro's from it.let the best team win.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    carew played their last round in limericks home field "hogan park".
    they beat a team called st peters from athlone i think.
    they were lenister sen league .
    don't know how their actual league compares with msl !
    carew are having a good season and a lot of people expect them to beat douglas and hopefully get a big team in the next round !
    Rockmount beat St Peter's 5-0 in the Intermediate Cup, Hall beat Mount 2-0 recently. They have games left in the lg and are still (to the best of my knowledge) involved in a relegation battle (due to horrible early season form, I think, not sure).

I'd be surprised if Carew beat them, but their recent form has been poor. All on the day with this one I'd imagine.
    The above is all opinion and based on personal experience. Unless stated otherwise it is not a dig at anybody, well probably none of you lot.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

MSL update

Tonight Rockmount drew 0-0 with Everton, which assured Everton of Prem football next season. As I understand it St Marys are relegated with Fermoy. Shame to see two "big" clubs go down, but there you go. Douglas are playing superbly I hear now the surfaces have levelled out. Bet they are looking forward to FAI cup.

Avondale hammered Castleview in the O Connell cup semi final, wonder were View still celebrating or were Dale just back on form? Winners of Fermoy and Rockmount meet Dale in final.

Sunday match between Rockmount and the Avondale boys for second place should be interesting.

Any thoughts?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Douglas Hall beat St Marys 4-2 last night, relegating them.
    Avondale will be more interested in the match practice in advance of thei FAI Cup tie and to be honest 2nd place isn't worth a damn anyway.
    Avondale beat Castleview 5-1 the other night but View have probably been on the piste for the last while anyway. Hat trick for Davd Spratt, thats 26 in all competitions now, fine striker.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    When is the final of the o connell cup schedueled for? I heard it was friday if avondale weren't in it but they are so........?

Ya, spratty and mark have been banging them in all season, looking forward to friday evening, although i hear we're missing hargy! He'll be a big loss. I heard we signed a few players for the game to strengthen the squad, a midleton striker, ucc centre half and alan o'shea who is a keeper! If he stays there will be huge competition next season with dave o keeffe back, that'd be 3 good keepers!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcnags
    When is the final of the o connell cup schedueled for? I heard it was friday if avondale weren't in it but they are so........?

Ya, spratty and mark have been banging them in all season, looking forward to friday evening, although i hear we're missing hargy! He'll be a big loss. I heard we signed a few players for the game to strengthen the squad, a midleton striker, ucc centre half and alan o'shea who is a keeper! If he stays there will be huge competition next season with dave o keeffe back, that'd be 3 good keepers!
    Obviously none of the 3 keepers played this morn in the 2-1 defeat at Rockmount? The first guy got taken off for leaving in two in first 5 mins, bit harsh I thought as they were deadly finishes, Cokers from 25/30 yards just flew in. The second guy who came on was as bad flapped at almost all crosses, caught one near the end all right. Two less than full strength sides played out an interesting end of season game, got heated enough to know both sides cared. Mount missing Byrne, Howey, Beechinor, Doyle, Dale missing Spratt, Harty and a few more I imagine. Hoppy and Hallie were outstanding for the visitors. Coker with his first for Mount (a stunning volley), Weldon and two young youths were best for Mount.

Rockmount conceded only 9 league goals in 22 league games, I think it's a MSL record. Awesome defence indeed. 2/3 new signings to come in during the summer, as well as a couple of crackers coming back from other clubs. Can't wait for next season.

To answer the q about the O Connell Cup I believe it will be Sunday in Casement Park. Fermoy v Rockmount in the semi on tue night to see who gets to play the Dale.

If it Knowlsy from Midleton he's very decent, lovely left foot. Don't know others.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Tonight Rockmount beat Fermoy 4-0. Avondale v Mount Sunday in Casement Park.

Bring it on, best of luck to all involved in FAI Senior Cup this weekend. Fingers crossed a few of the Cork teams will go through.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CLIFFORD
    Obviously none of the 3 keepers played this morn in the 2-1 defeat at Rockmount? The first guy got taken off for leaving in two in first 5 mins, bit harsh I thought as they were deadly finishes, Cokers from 25/30 yards just flew in. The second guy who came on was as bad flapped at almost all crosses, caught one near the end all right. Two less than full strength sides played out an interesting end of season game, got heated enough to know both sides cared. Mount missing Byrne, Howey, Beechinor, Doyle, Dale missing Spratt, Harty and a few more I imagine. Hoppy and Hallie were outstanding for the visitors. Coker with his first for Mount (a stunning volley), Weldon and two young youths were best for Mount.
    Bit of a non event, Echo said Dale had 3 U17's playing, i think the young keeper had to start because the other guy hadn't turned up on time, he arrived about 15 mins in and was duly put on, damage was done by then though.
    Avondale drew 0-0 with Cork City last night in a FAI Cup warm up.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by razor
    Bit of a non event, Echo said Dale had 3 U17's playing, i think the young keeper had to start because the other guy hadn't turned up on time, he arrived about 15 mins in and was duly put on, damage was done by then though.
    Avondale drew 0-0 with Cork City last night in a FAI Cup warm up.
    And the excuse for tonight?

Rockmount win the O Connell Cup with a 1-0 win in extra time against Avondale. Typical battle between the two best teams in Cork, Mount playing all the ball and Avondale winning the physical battle. Byrne and Weldon (take Spratty out of yer pocket now Al) were majestic in the ariel bombardment when Dale eventually got hold of the ball. As always Mount didn't create a whole lot of gilt edged chances, but did more than enough pass and move football to deserve the trophy, with a winning goal early in extra time by Ross O Callaghan. Biscuits in goal and Caulfield were shown up for being past it by now.

What was the deal with the normal keeper Razor? I thought O Shea getting the game of Friday was bang out of order myself.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CLIFFORD
    And the excuse for tonight?

Rockmount win the O Connell Cup with a 1-0 win in extra time against Avondale. Typical battle between the two best teams in Cork, Mount playing all the ball and Avondale winning the physical battle. Byrne and Weldon (take Spratty out of yer pocket now Al) were majestic in the ariel bombardment when Dale eventually got hold of the ball. As always Mount didn't create a whole lot of gilt edged chances, but did more than enough pass and move football to deserve the trophy, with a winning goal early in extra time by Ross O Callaghan. Biscuits in goal and Caulfield were shown up for being past it by now.

What was the deal with the normal keeper Razor? I thought O Shea getting the game of Friday was bang out of order myself.
    Didn't make the game last night but the report I got was that Rockmount won fair and square, I'm not involved at all with Avondale so I don't need to make excuses. There were however a few mitigating factors.
    Avondale played superbly on Friday night and gave Bray a very good game.
    They must just keep this long ball stuff you speak of for Rockmount games. On another night with a bit of luck they would have beaten Bray. They played the last half an hour with 10 men and that was a mere 48 hours before last nights game. I also heard the match official last night was a Mr Lyne, wasn't he the same official that reffed the Intermediate Cup game ?
    I presume he didn't make it to Nevada Smiths last night for a drink with the Rockmount team like he did that Sunday in March.
    Disappointing season overall for both clubs who really are the top 2 in the MSL, no harm to see the League shared about a bit.
    Caulfield has made some shrewd signings already and heres to next season.
    Wouldn't know a whole lot about the goalkeeping situation at Avondale myself.
    Last edited by razor; 13/06/2005 at 9:26 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by razor
    Didn't make the game last night but the report I got was that Rockmount won fair and square, I'm not involved at all with Avondale so I don't need to make excuses. There were however a few mitigating factors.
    Avondale played superbly on Friday night and gave Bray a very good game.
    They must just keep this long ball stuff you speak of for Rockmount games. On another night with a bit of luck they would have beaten Bray. They played the last half an hour with 10 men and that was a mere 48 hours before last nights game. I also heard the match official last night was a Mr Lyne, wasn't he the same official that reffed the Intermediate Cup game ?
    I presume he didn't make it to Nevada Smiths last night for a drink with the Rockmount team like he did that Sunday in March.
    Disappointing season overall for both clubs who really are the top 2 in the MSL, no harm to see the League shared about a bit.
    Caulfield has made some shrewd signings already and heres to next season.
    Wouldn't know a whole lot about the goalkeeping situation at Avondale myself.
    As usual your excuses for them are admirable, some of the Mount players played 90 mins and extra time in a Junior cup final yesterday morning and still managed to get through the match last night. These lads are all young and fit, 2 games in 48 hours should be fine.

John, the ref, was actually quite good last night, even left the Dale keep the full 11 on the pitch for a change (was Spratt hard done by or what on Friday? Paper seemed to think it was justified?) even though Cotter again should have got three yellows instead of just the one. Mount and Dale played 4 times this season, Rockmount won 3, drew one and you still harp back to a blatent hand ball where the man should have been sent off, but wasn't, nurse the screens quickly!!

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Fair play Clifford, and as usual your green and yellow tinted glasses are also admirable. Avondale are a decent footballing side and not the kick and rush team you think. Personally I don't like Cotter as a player but he does a job as do Keane or Doyle for Mount. every team has them and needs them.
    Good to see Mounts strength in depth that they didn't even have a full side out last night but playing a junior game hardly equates to playing a LOI team with 10 men.Although the Echo stated a mere 1 of your senior players played in that junior game, Coker.
    Spratty was rightly sent off on Friday night, got an elbow off the ball and reacted, kicking himself after but damage was done then.
    Of course Mount had the upper hand this season and you know what , out of the 4 games mentioned, I only attended 1 and that was the 0-0 draw. I should go more often.
    Last edited by razor; 15/06/2005 at 8:37 AM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't really know the story with the keepers but i think john was always looking for a new keeper seeming as dave o keeffe is still out, nobody seems to have the confidence in michael as they did in dave.

You can only sign a player from another club once the club they play with have finished all their league games. Alan o shea is a class keeper and a lot more vocal. I think michael was late for a few games and trainings through the season.

On the note of transfers the guy we signed from midleton, andrew knowles, is a fine player. It will be interesting to see how all the players fit in next season.

I was at the game on sunday. As was said, i think rockmount deserved it, avondale created little or no chances in front of goal and looked tired. As we're on about facts of why the teams didn't do so well, i think its my turn to point out that avondale had two 40 odd year olds playing. We were also missing:

Michael Dorgan (Gk) - ?
    dave O keeffe (Gk) - long term injury
    Alan o shea (Gk) - cup tied?
    Andrew Goulding (cd) - Work
    Noel Hartigan (cd) - holidays
    Mark O sullivan (m) - holidays
    Damian O Connell (f) - holiays
    Andrew Knowles (m/f) - cup tied
    Eoin Costine (d) - cup tied/injured

Also we had kenny bruton come on in extra time, hes been injured for the last 6 or 7 weeks. He has been a huge loss but good to see him back.

I'm looking forward to next season and to see if john brings in anybody new. Will be interesting to see who stays and who goes, i think this might have been willie's last season and i think andy is working in kildare so he might have to leave also.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    I don't really know the story with the keepers but i think john was always looking for a new keeper seeming as dave o keeffe is still out, nobody seems to have the confidence in michael as they did in dave.

You can only sign a player from another club once the club they play with have finished all their league games. Alan o shea is a class keeper and a lot more vocal. I think michael was late for a few games and trainings through the season.

On the note of transfers the guy we signed from midleton, andrew knowles, is a fine player. It will be interesting to see how all the players fit in next season.

I was at the game on sunday. As was said, i think rockmount deserved it, avondale created little or no chances in front of goal and looked tired. As we're on about facts of why the teams didn't do so well, i think its my turn to point out that avondale had two 40 odd year olds playing. We were also missing:

Michael Dorgan (Gk) - ?
    dave O keeffe (Gk) - long term injury
    Alan o shea (Gk) - cup tied?
    Andrew Goulding (cd) - Work
    Noel Hartigan (cd) - holidays
    Mark O sullivan (m) - holidays
    Damian O Connell (f) - holiays
    Andrew Knowles (m/f) - cup tied
    Eoin Costine (d) - cup tied/injured

Also we had kenny bruton come on in extra time, hes been injured for the last 6 or 7 weeks. He has been a huge loss but good to see him back.

I'm looking forward to next season and to see if john brings in anybody new. Will be interesting to see who stays and who goes, i think this might have been willie's last season and i think andy is working in kildare so he might have to leave also.
    Including Knowlsey (who is class) and O Shea as missing in that list is brillo, only signed in the last week or two.......Mount were also missing Busteed who came on injured, Irish international Howey (congrats Kenneth, well deserved), Alan Martin who apparently is coming back next season and about six other maybe's or could have beens.....

But, I know what you mean with lads on holidays and end of season feel to it. Highlight of the evening for me was the guy who presented the prize on behalf of the O Connell family, Pat O Donovan. Wasn't he involved with Cork City before? I think he's familiar. Beat the daylights out of any speech I'd ever seen on such occasions. Kept calling Pat Keane, Roy. Advertised his failing business and generally just was funny. I'd have liked him to go into extra time.

Next season should be cracking, getting off to a great start in now essential as Castleview proved. Any particular players you'd fancy? Fermoy have a 19 year old striker Kurt Wheeler who looks the business. Wanchope might be coming back to Mount, he looked good early season. I've talked about Knowlsey a lot as he's so comfortable with the ball at his feet, glides past players with ease. You'll enjoy watching him next season.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ya, Pat o donovan, plonk as he was/is known used to be involved with city years ago, same time as my grandad was. In fairness his speech was funny but poor pat keane, took it ok though. Picked up more trophies than his brother this season too!

Theres some fine players around, every team has at least 1 star and it'll be interesting to see how the promoted teams do, as the last 2 years promoted teams have won it. I think castleview were promoted, ya?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Ya, Pat o donovan, plonk as he was/is known used to be involved with city years ago, same time as my grandad was. In fairness his speech was funny but poor pat keane, took it ok though. Picked up more trophies than his brother this season too!

Theres some fine players around, every team has at least 1 star and it'll be interesting to see how the promoted teams do, as the last 2 years promoted teams have won it. I think castleview were promoted, ya?
    As far as I know they were promoted indeed.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Some results from week 1 of the league:
    Premier Division:
    Avondale United 2 Blarney United 2;
    Carrigaline United 2 Midleton 1;
    Castleview 3 Leeds 1;
    Everton 0 Rockmount 3;
    Ringmahon Rangers 1 College Corinthians 2.

First Division:
    Bandon 0 Mallow United 1;
    Fermoy 1 Ballincollig 2;
    Casement Celtic 0 Ballinhassig 2;
    Cobh Wanderers 2 St Mary’s 1;
    Crofton/Garryduff 2 Temple United 2;
    Glasheen 0 Tramore Athletic 2;
    Crosshaven 1 Youghal United 2.