Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Why is Mick MccCarthy so bolshie?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Why is Mick MccCarthy so bolshie?

He gets all salty when asked about Michael Obafami and basically dismisses him as a player. He's actually annoyed me as a manager with the sort of ignorant yorkshireman shtick he goes for.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    He gets all salty when asked about Michael Obafami and basically dismisses him as a player. He's actually annoyed me as a manager with the sort of ignorant yorkshireman shtick he goes for.
    Obdurate, stubborn and possibly suspicious
    of technically gifted players . Not the ideal manager for us st this juncture. He should be preparing ground for Kenny and integrating our better players and prospects with an eye on the next campaign.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    He just called up Parrott and Collins?

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    841 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    He should be preparing ground for Kenny and integrating our better players and prospects with an eye on the next campaign.
    But whatever about his attitude, much of which leaves me scratching my head also, wouldn't your suggestion be totally against his given mission in the job ? Isn't it clearly a one campaign emergency fix brief ?

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    But whatever about his attitude, much of which leaves me scratching my head also, wouldn't your suggestion be totally against his given mission in the job ? Isn't it clearly a one campaign emergency fix brief ?
    So he’s already intimated that Obafemi and Parrott are unlikely to make the cut, so they’re not being integrated into the squad for this campaign at this stage. Surely the fixing brief is about more than getting the best out of what we have, but developing for the future. If we start the next campaign with essentially the same dearth of quality, we have not progressed. Mick’s role is about more than stabilising the free fall from the MON era. He has to leave Kenny with a better balanced and better prepared squad. We should be jettisoning those players who are not good enough or past it, and giving younger and more creative players a chance to show what they can do,

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    601 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Obdurate, stubborn and possibly suspicious
    of technically gifted players . Not the ideal manager for us st this juncture. He should be preparing ground for Kenny and integrating our better players and prospects with an eye on the next campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Agree with CTP here - Mick's sole focus is to qualify for Euro 2020, something he has got us started well on (in spite of some wobbles). Kenny can prepare his own groundwork with the young players through the U21 campaign and next year's Nations League. Remember, at the moment it's far easier to qualify for the Euros than the World Cup so perhaps we should even view the next World Cup campaign as preparation for Euro 2024.

Also, if you're looking to pick a tidy, ball-playing midfielder under 25 and you have a choice of Cullen, Kelly and Crowley, right now I would pick Cullen as he's clearly established and enjoying life at Charlton, being involved in the build-up to two of their goals last weekend. Plus he's picked Judge, who people on this site felt was getting the short shrift from MON a couple of years ago.

While we hoped there would be a wave of breakthroughs at the start of this season, it hasn't quite happened yet, so let's not mess up our chances at qualification for Euro 2020 (as well as a possibly unprecedented shot at Euro U21 qualification) by rushing in players that aren't ready just yet. Let Mick have his shot at glory - given what happened in 2002 (and this arrangement also), he deserves that.