Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: UK clubs 2019/20 preseason

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    476 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    What’s the story with the twitter pic then I wonder?

Yes I would say Lennon would certainly be an ally of ROI
    There are very lackadaisical rules for some of the under age groups. But to proper qualify he would have to live in England 5 years. He is now living in Scotland which may hamper his english residency application.
    Tbh he is a bell for not picking us or Nigeria anyway

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    572 Posts
    Absolutely.
    I’d have no problem with him picking Nigeria but to play for England when you’ve only lived there a couple of years and that’s your only association with them. That’s mental.
    If I was in a squad with a player like that I would be annoyed.

I could understand him playing underage for both if he was born in England or had an English parent.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    707 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    That's just inaccurate. His career was very much on the downward spiral when he came to England, and it was plainly the wrong move for him. Some players aren't suited to English football. That Veron bloke was pretty decent, but if you judged him on his time in Eng, you'd question him.
    Ah here, he was 28 when he moved to England, he wasn't exactly a geriatric. The reality was that was the first time he played in a top European league and he just wasn't good enough.

It's a frustrating one for me because I believe he had the natural talent to be a top player, but he was restricted by undertaking his football education in Scotland, didn't play at a high enough level until it was too late sadly. Fundamental issues with his game were never addressed at Celtic.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    601 Posts
    So I thought I'd make a list of players to be watched out for in pre-season. Almost all are young players on the fringes of their respective first team squads but I'm also oprn to more established players looking to make an impact:

Premier League:

- Aston Villa: Scott Hogan - has struggled for game time but Mick seems to have indicated that he's an option if he can play more
    - Bournemouth: Mark Travers - two late games last season hopefully indicates he has a chance of being back-up keeper, at least. Perhaps he may get a shot at proving himself in the domestic cups
    - Brighton: Aaron Connolly and Jayson Molumby - both have seen EFL Cup and EFL Trophy action in the last couple of seasons and impressed in the Toulon tournament so should be knocking on the door of the first team
    - Burnley: Jimmy Dunne - two seasons of loans at progressively higher levels, amassing over 70 first-team appearances - let's see if he's ready to step up a level
    - Crystal Palace: Kian Flanagan - U23 player of the season at the club
    - Liverpool: Caoimhin Kelleher - if Mignolet goes, could become main back-up 'keeper, like Travers
    - Norwich City: Adam Idah - 12 goals in 19 appearances for the U23s (only turned 18 in February) - top scorer in his division. Also Conor Masterson, if the rumours of Norwich's interest pans out
    - Southampton: Michael Obafemi - can he build on last season's breakthrough. A few others in their academy but Will Smallbone seems to be the one making most progress
    - Spurs: rumours abound that Troy Parrott will start to see first-team action in the upcoming season
    - West Ham: Can Josh Cullen build on his success at Charlton to break through or will it be another loan spell or a transfer out? Maybe Conor Coventry, but might still be too early
    - Wolves: Connor Ronan - decent loan spell in Slovakia and good Toulon tournament will hopefully boost his stock and confidence

The Championship

- Derby: Jason Knight - on the bench for the play-off final last season
    - Millwall: Jonathan Afolabi - if he impressed enough on trial
    - QPR: Olamide Shodipo - after falling out of favour, an unsuccessful loan and some injuries, returned to first-team action late in the season
    - Reading: Josh Barrett - as with Shodipo, got back in the first team late in the season
    - Stoke: Nathan Collins - Also a late season breakthrough, and now on Man Utd's radar, although another season at Stoke is probably a better option
    - West Brom: Dara O'Shea - good loan spell at Exeter may put him in the frame at his home club

SPL

- Celtic: Armstrong Okoflex - if he chooses us; Luca Connell - if he ends up with them
    - Hearts: Aidan Keena - scoring regularly on loan, in reserves, with a Scottish Cup goal also

Serie A

- Inter: Ryan Nolan - a couple of years in their youth set-up (making captain in their recent Cup Final) has hopefully prepared him to be a high-level defender

So that's 22 players, essentially a full squad. If even five or six break through in this pre-season, it will bode well for the short-term future. Is there anybody you lads think should be added?

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Tyreke Wilson went on man city's preseason tour last year. A bad knee injury meant he missed a few months of football but was straight back into their PL2 side when he recovered.

Barry Coffey played for Celtic in their first preseason game earlier this week.

Lee O'Connor should be in United's squad. But if they sign Wan-Bissaka he'll find first team opportunities at right full limited

Ryan Johansson played for Bayern in their preseason last year, but they're going through a few changes at the moment so might not be in the picture this year

Ryan Cassidy at Watford had a solid scoring record at reserve level, might get to train with the first team

I know this is a real longshot, but Zak Kilsenan at Blackburn is already playing at under 18 level, he might be brought with the first team for training

Hmmm, lot of "might" there

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Thanks for those overview guys. I don't think an analysis this time last season would have been as positive. And next season will be more positive again with these lads a year older. Exciting times.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    There are very lackadaisical rules for some of the under age groups. But to proper qualify he would have to live in England 5 years. He is now living in Scotland which may hamper his english residency application.
    Tbh he is a bell for not picking us or Nigeria anyway
    Not really understanding the Okoflex English eligibility. He needs to acquire a new Nationality. According to FIFA rules the only way of doing this is (considering no one reportedly in his family is English):
    "He has lived continuously for at least 5 years after reaching the age of 18 on the territory of the relevant Association."

He was born in Ireland, so eligible. His parents are Nigerian, so is eligible here too. He won't be eligible for Scotland or England until the age of 23, or have these rules been changed or am I misinterpreting something? Or perhaps I am taking it too literally, and they just mean 5 years of residency, then once he reaches the age of 18 then he's eligible? The latter is more logical actually but if so rule is poorly worded

See Law 17 here:
    http://websites.sportstg.com/get_file.cgi?id=1127049
    Last edited by tommy_c12000; 29/06/2019 at 4:00 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Not really understanding the Okoflex English eligibility. He needs to acquire a new Nationality. According to FIFA rules the only way of doing this considering no one (reportedly in his family is English) is:
    "He has lived continuously for at least 5 years after reaching the age of 18 on the territory of the relevant Association."

He was born in Ireland, so eligible. His parents are Nigerian, so is eligible here too. He won't be eligible for Scotland or England until the age of 23, or have these rules been changed or am I misinterpreting something? All the years prior to 18 shouldn't count towards eligibility if this is the rule?

See Law 17 here:
    http://websites.sportstg.com/get_file.cgi?id=1127049
    I dont understand this but the lads on here http://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/eng...019295/page-78 always quote the home nations agreement which is 5 years of education in the country before 18 as been what it is based on. In the euros just past there were 4 or 5 players including oko flex who that forum said did not have their eligibility sorted even though there were 2 of them in the actual final squad http://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/eng.../page-279.will be interesting to see if oko flex in in their 18s squad this season surely if he is then the fa have his eligibility sorted otherwise why bother?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Looks like Connor Ronan might be staying in Slovakia, at least for the initial part of season, with Europa games coming up vs cracovia on July 11 & 18. Great start to the preseason for him but hopefully he will move up a level either on loan or have a shot with wolves early in the season

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport...nce-in-europe/

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    707 Posts
    Have a feeling it's not going to work out for Ronan at Wolves. The liklihood now is that he won't be involved at all there this season. He'll be 22 by the time next summer rolls around and will need a permanent move to a team where he can play first team football at a higher level than the Slovakian league.

I like him as a player but I don't think he's suited to the English lower leagues and he's unlikely to find another Premier league team off the back of playing in Slovakia. His next move after this will be a crucial one in terms of his whole career. Would like to think he might find a team in Belgium or the Netherlands that would suit his passing game.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Given how overloaded Stoke are now at center half, a loan move seems like Nathan Collins’ best option. Ideally another championship club but looking more like league 1. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sto...ns-3037898.amp

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Ah here, he was 28 when he moved to England, he wasn't exactly a geriatric. The reality was that was the first time he played in a top European league and he just wasn't good enough.

It's a frustrating one for me because I believe he had the natural talent to be a top player, but he was restricted by undertaking his football education in Scotland, didn't play at a high enough level until it was too late sadly. Fundamental issues with his game were never addressed at Celtic.
    Playing in Scotland didn't hurt Andy Robertson. The sad fact is that McGeady just never realised his talent.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Connor Ronan started for FC DAC in their 2-0 friendly defeat to Vasas today. No word of how long he’s there for, but nice to see him starting his pre season with two Europa League games...7/11 is first leg

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    707 Posts
    Ronan is staying with the team in Slovakia until the end of the calendar year at least.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Kian Flanagan named in Crystal Palace's preseason squad: https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/2019/jul...of-switzerland
    Also included is Stephen Henderson, who signed a one year contract today.

21. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Straight into my fantasy football team.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Kian Flanagan named in Crystal Palace's preseason squad: https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/2019/jul...of-switzerland
    Also included is Stephen Henderson, who signed a one year contract today.
    If he could stay fit Henderson is a very good keeper. Great about Flanagan

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    450 Posts
    O connor isn't in the man utd squad for their tour unfortunately

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    O connor isn't in the man utd squad for their tour unfortunately
    Any talk of a loan deal? He needs it, like many of our youngsters; Any first team football is better than that under 23 league

26. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Also, what’s next for Kieran O’Hara? I see he’s not 1 of 4 goalkeepers included for the tour...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast