Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: U23 players 2019/20

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Great news re Obafemi. Pity that he will never fit into McCarthy's system.
    It's odd how, with only 2-6 games left in Mick's short tenure, we're still talking as though he has some grand tactical strategy that needs to be reformed over time to accommodate all the U21s coming through. Mick got dealt a poor hand - a short-term appointment with no time to blood in players before qualifiers started, with a frontline decimated by injuries and retirements - his only goal to qualify for Euro 2020. I think he's done a reasonable job given the constraints of his contract and having to deal with a pretty makeshift squad. And he's still managed to give debuts to eight players and have nine score their maiden international goals.

And I think there would have been a place in Mick's plans for Obafemi, had his last year not been hampered by injury. From what I've seen, Obafemi's hold-up play and ability to pick a key pass are good, which are two of McGoldrick's main attributes - plus he's super-quick. I think his pace makes him an excellent outlet for McGoldrick - and against Switzerland, Mick showed a willingness to use a hold-up player and another striker up front. i think Obafemi would also work as an impact player, like Hogan against the Swiss. So, if Obafemi gets 10-15 games in the next three months or so, I would not be surprised to see him in the squad for the play-offs

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    It's odd how, with only 2-6 games left in Mick's short tenure, we're still talking as though he has some grand tactical strategy that needs to be reformed over time to accommodate all the U21s coming through. Mick got dealt a poor hand - a short-term appointment with no time to blood in players before qualifiers started, with a frontline decimated by injuries and retirements - his only goal to qualify for Euro 2020. I think he's done a reasonable job given the constraints of his contract and having to deal with a pretty makeshift squad. And he's still managed to give debuts to eight players and have nine score their maiden international goals.

And I think there would have been a place in Mick's plans for Obafemi, had his last year not been hampered by injury. From what I've seen, Obafemi's hold-up play and ability to pick a key pass are good, which are two of McGoldrick's main attributes - plus he's super-quick. I think his pace makes him an excellent outlet for McGoldrick - and against Switzerland, Mick showed a willingness to use a hold-up player and another striker up front. i think Obafemi would also work as an impact player, like Hogan against the Swiss. So, if Obafemi gets 10-15 games in the next three months or so, I would not be surprised to see him in the squad for the play-offs
    Mick deserves credit for blooding new players, no doubt about it. But he also has to take the rap for persisting with any or all of Hendrick, Whelan, Hourihane and McClean. And there are others. Mick also can be blamed for settling for a draw and telling the whole world beforehand: "I am a genie in a bottle Mr Mick, I can grant you three wins". " Nah we can't get ahead of ourselves. Just give me a draw and we'll be fine."

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Highlights from today’s games in PL2, Idah scores only goal in game for Norwich. Clean sheet for Omobamidele. Goal and an assist for O’Shea, badly needs a loan move in January. Barrett, N Collins both resigned to playing PL2, although early substitution for Collins raises hopes he may be in squad for midweek game (as long as it wasn’t for injury). Knight not in derby squad, presumably will be included in first team squad this week, given a couple of injuries to first teamers including mason Bennett (reportedly not alcohol related). Reghba on as 2nd half sub, and mcentee played in Newcastle’s win

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Dara O'Shea is the one from the myriad of defenders who I'd love to see in the Senior squad now. A very impressive defender, and for someone not overly tall (to me anyway) he's impressive in the air, and quite physical, but also seems to be a nuisance in the opposition box.
    Think he's got a huge future for us.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Dara O'Shea is the one from the myriad of defenders who I'd love to see in the Senior squad now. A very impressive defender, and for someone not overly tall (to me anyway) he's impressive in the air, and quite physical, but also seems to be a nuisance in the opposition box.
    Think he's got a huge future for us.
    Agree he looks good, but he needs to get first team games soon (although that doesn’t appear to hurt Kevin Long’s ability to make irish squads....)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Highlights from today’s games in PL2, Idah scores only goal in game for Norwich. Clean sheet for Omobamidele. Goal and an assist for O’Shea, badly needs a loan move in January. Barrett, N Collins both resigned to playing PL2, although early substitution for Collins raises hopes he may be in squad for midweek game (as long as it wasn’t for injury). Knight not in derby squad, presumably will be included in first team squad this week, given a couple of injuries to first teamers including mason Bennett (reportedly not alcohol related). Reghba on as 2nd half sub, and mcentee played in Newcastle’s win
    Idah's goal has been changed to an assist.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    All five of the young Irish lads at Celtic starting for their reserves today. Really disappointing that we're almost into December and they haven't managed as much of a minute of competitive football between them at the club this season. Hopefully a few of them can get moves out to the rest of the SPL in January.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

10. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Nice to see regba and mcenneff back from injuries that seem to have kept them out for the last 4 or 6 weeks

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    All five of the young Irish lads at Celtic starting for their reserves today. Really disappointing that we're almost into December and they haven't managed as much of a minute of competitive football between them at the club this season. Hopefully a few of them can get moves out to the rest of the SPL in January.
    Great to see connell back he seems to have been injured for the last 3 months

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Lee O'Connor and Armstrong Okoflex combined for Celtic Academy's goal against Brentford B in a friendly yesterday, goal here at 1:48

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Scully with another goal in the premier league international cup today. Coventry played in their win as well against O’Horas Brighton. Southampton lads (O’Driscoll and Ledwidge) played as well losing to Monaco

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Lee O'Connor and Armstrong Okoflex combined for Celtic Academy's goal against Brentford B in a friendly yesterday, goal here at 1:48
    The original video has been marked private but a new version is available here

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    The irish featured prominently. Key question is will any of them feature in the 9 December eligible matches that Celtic have (Coffey also eligible for their Europa cup game)? If not, then things need to happen during the January transfer window from a loan standpoint for all players.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Leo Gaxha starts for SUFC 23's today against Leeds United.
    I'll update this next year.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Premier League Cup (U23) matches today:

Travers and Kilkenny played in Bournemouth's 2-0 victory over O'Driscoll's/Ledwidge's Southampton. Travers made some excellent saves, and Kilkenny was very effective too, according to second hand reports on their fan's forum.

Does anyone know what has happened to Will Smallbone? 3 PL2 appearances this year, and nothing else. No documentation of injury. This is on the backdrop of featuring heavily for first team in pre-season.

In other pertinent matches, no Kelleher for Liverpool. Assume protecting him for bench appearance vs Everton on Wednesday. No Knight for Derby, after his 9 minutes of first team football over the weekend. And no N Collins for Stoke City (or Shawcross for that matter who has just returned from injury) - this was their most recent U23 centre back partnership. I am expecting Michael O'Neill to change their backline significantly in the coming weeks, so hopefully this is a positive sign of an impending return to first team football for Nathan. Carters-Vickers has been woeful, and is only on loan from Spurs, while Martins Indi and Batth have been also very poor in recent weeks. The fans are crying out for a change. Shawcross would be a great partner for Nathan to learn from.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    To answer my own question, from his twitter page, Smallbone appears to be only back in training for past 2 weeks after being out for 2 months .....

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Yeah I somebody congratulating him on his return a couple of weeks ago. Good to see.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    To answer my own question, from his twitter page, Smallbone appears to be only back in training for past 2 weeks after being out for 2 months .....
    Ferry has been out injured all season as well and very little sign of Sean brennan which is a shame . O driscoll really needs a loan at this stage in Jan

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Ferry has been out injured all season as well and very little sign of Sean brennan which is a shame . O driscoll really needs a loan at this stage in Jan
    As far as I know Ferry restarted training this week.

Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast