Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 308

Thread: U23 players 2019/20

  1. #281
    First Team
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,434
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    53
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    642
    Thanked in
    407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Great news re Obafemi. Pity that he will never fit into McCarthy's system.
    It's odd how, with only 2-6 games left in Mick's short tenure, we're still talking as though he has some grand tactical strategy that needs to be reformed over time to accommodate all the U21s coming through. Mick got dealt a poor hand - a short-term appointment with no time to blood in players before qualifiers started, with a frontline decimated by injuries and retirements - his only goal to qualify for Euro 2020. I think he's done a reasonable job given the constraints of his contract and having to deal with a pretty makeshift squad. And he's still managed to give debuts to eight players and have nine score their maiden international goals.

    And I think there would have been a place in Mick's plans for Obafemi, had his last year not been hampered by injury. From what I've seen, Obafemi's hold-up play and ability to pick a key pass are good, which are two of McGoldrick's main attributes - plus he's super-quick. I think his pace makes him an excellent outlet for McGoldrick - and against Switzerland, Mick showed a willingness to use a hold-up player and another striker up front. i think Obafemi would also work as an impact player, like Hogan against the Swiss. So, if Obafemi gets 10-15 games in the next three months or so, I would not be surprised to see him in the squad for the play-offs

  2. Thanks From:


  3. #282
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,257
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    488
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    920
    Thanked in
    617 Posts

  4. #283
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,275
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    178
    Thanked in
    129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    It's odd how, with only 2-6 games left in Mick's short tenure, we're still talking as though he has some grand tactical strategy that needs to be reformed over time to accommodate all the U21s coming through. Mick got dealt a poor hand - a short-term appointment with no time to blood in players before qualifiers started, with a frontline decimated by injuries and retirements - his only goal to qualify for Euro 2020. I think he's done a reasonable job given the constraints of his contract and having to deal with a pretty makeshift squad. And he's still managed to give debuts to eight players and have nine score their maiden international goals.

    And I think there would have been a place in Mick's plans for Obafemi, had his last year not been hampered by injury. From what I've seen, Obafemi's hold-up play and ability to pick a key pass are good, which are two of McGoldrick's main attributes - plus he's super-quick. I think his pace makes him an excellent outlet for McGoldrick - and against Switzerland, Mick showed a willingness to use a hold-up player and another striker up front. i think Obafemi would also work as an impact player, like Hogan against the Swiss. So, if Obafemi gets 10-15 games in the next three months or so, I would not be surprised to see him in the squad for the play-offs
    Mick deserves credit for blooding new players, no doubt about it. But he also has to take the rap for persisting with any or all of Hendrick, Whelan, Hourihane and McClean. And there are others. Mick also can be blamed for settling for a draw and telling the whole world beforehand: "I am a genie in a bottle Mr Mick, I can grant you three wins". " Nah we can't get ahead of ourselves. Just give me a draw and we'll be fine."

  5. #284
    First Team
    Joined
    May 2008
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    1,071
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    135
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    189
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Highlights from today’s games in PL2, Idah scores only goal in game for Norwich. Clean sheet for Omobamidele. Goal and an assist for O’Shea, badly needs a loan move in January. Barrett, N Collins both resigned to playing PL2, although early substitution for Collins raises hopes he may be in squad for midweek game (as long as it wasn’t for injury). Knight not in derby squad, presumably will be included in first team squad this week, given a couple of injuries to first teamers including mason Bennett (reportedly not alcohol related). Reghba on as 2nd half sub, and mcentee played in Newcastle’s win

  6. #285
    Seasoned Pro Kingdom's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Teeing off
    Posts
    4,046
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,977
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    596
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Dara O'Shea is the one from the myriad of defenders who I'd love to see in the Senior squad now. A very impressive defender, and for someone not overly tall (to me anyway) he's impressive in the air, and quite physical, but also seems to be a nuisance in the opposition box.
    Think he's got a huge future for us.
    That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age

  7. #286
    First Team
    Joined
    May 2008
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    1,071
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    135
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    189
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Dara O'Shea is the one from the myriad of defenders who I'd love to see in the Senior squad now. A very impressive defender, and for someone not overly tall (to me anyway) he's impressive in the air, and quite physical, but also seems to be a nuisance in the opposition box.
    Think he's got a huge future for us.
    Agree he looks good, but he needs to get first team games soon (although that doesn’t appear to hurt Kevin Long’s ability to make irish squads....)

  8. #287
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    18,094
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    886
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,467
    Thanked in
    2,217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Highlights from today’s games in PL2, Idah scores only goal in game for Norwich. Clean sheet for Omobamidele. Goal and an assist for O’Shea, badly needs a loan move in January. Barrett, N Collins both resigned to playing PL2, although early substitution for Collins raises hopes he may be in squad for midweek game (as long as it wasn’t for injury). Knight not in derby squad, presumably will be included in first team squad this week, given a couple of injuries to first teamers including mason Bennett (reportedly not alcohol related). Reghba on as 2nd half sub, and mcentee played in Newcastle’s win
    Idah's goal has been changed to an assist.

  9. #288
    Reserves
    Joined
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    484
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    22
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    78
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    All five of the young Irish lads at Celtic starting for their reserves today. Really disappointing that we're almost into December and they haven't managed as much of a minute of competitive football between them at the club this season. Hopefully a few of them can get moves out to the rest of the SPL in January.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Long Cox

  10. Thanks From:


  11. #289
    First Team
    Joined
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,014
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    819
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    464
    Thanked in
    311 Posts
    Nice to see regba and mcenneff back from injuries that seem to have kept them out for the last 4 or 6 weeks

  12. #290
    First Team
    Joined
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,014
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    819
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    464
    Thanked in
    311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    All five of the young Irish lads at Celtic starting for their reserves today. Really disappointing that we're almost into December and they haven't managed as much of a minute of competitive football between them at the club this season. Hopefully a few of them can get moves out to the rest of the SPL in January.
    Great to see connell back he seems to have been injured for the last 3 months

  13. #291
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    18,094
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    886
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,467
    Thanked in
    2,217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    All five of the young Irish lads at Celtic starting for their reserves today. Really disappointing that we're almost into December and they haven't managed as much of a minute of competitive football between them at the club this season. Hopefully a few of them can get moves out to the rest of the SPL in January.
    Lee O'Connor and Armstrong Okoflex combined for Celtic Academy's goal against Brentford B in a friendly yesterday, goal here at 1:48

  14. #292
    First Team
    Joined
    May 2008
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    1,071
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    135
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    189
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Scully with another goal in the premier league international cup today. Coventry played in their win as well against O’Horas Brighton. Southampton lads (O’Driscoll and Ledwidge) played as well losing to Monaco

  15. #293
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    18,094
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    886
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,467
    Thanked in
    2,217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Lee O'Connor and Armstrong Okoflex combined for Celtic Academy's goal against Brentford B in a friendly yesterday, goal here at 1:48
    The original video has been marked private but a new version is available here

  16. Thanks From:


  17. #294
    First Team
    Joined
    May 2008
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    1,071
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    135
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    189
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    The irish featured prominently. Key question is will any of them feature in the 9 December eligible matches that Celtic have (Coffey also eligible for their Europa cup game)? If not, then things need to happen during the January transfer window from a loan standpoint for all players.

  18. #295
    First Team
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Banned
    Posts
    1,338
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    18
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    16
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Leo Gaxha starts for SUFC 23's today against Leeds United.
    I'll update this next year.

  19. #296
    First Team
    Joined
    May 2008
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    1,071
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    135
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    189
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Premier League Cup (U23) matches today:

    Travers and Kilkenny played in Bournemouth's 2-0 victory over O'Driscoll's/Ledwidge's Southampton. Travers made some excellent saves, and Kilkenny was very effective too, according to second hand reports on their fan's forum.

    Does anyone know what has happened to Will Smallbone? 3 PL2 appearances this year, and nothing else. No documentation of injury. This is on the backdrop of featuring heavily for first team in pre-season.

    In other pertinent matches, no Kelleher for Liverpool. Assume protecting him for bench appearance vs Everton on Wednesday. No Knight for Derby, after his 9 minutes of first team football over the weekend. And no N Collins for Stoke City (or Shawcross for that matter who has just returned from injury) - this was their most recent U23 centre back partnership. I am expecting Michael O'Neill to change their backline significantly in the coming weeks, so hopefully this is a positive sign of an impending return to first team football for Nathan. Carters-Vickers has been woeful, and is only on loan from Spurs, while Martins Indi and Batth have been also very poor in recent weeks. The fans are crying out for a change. Shawcross would be a great partner for Nathan to learn from.

  20. #297
    First Team
    Joined
    May 2008
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    1,071
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    135
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    189
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    To answer my own question, from his twitter page, Smallbone appears to be only back in training for past 2 weeks after being out for 2 months .....

  21. #298
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,912
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,712
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,059
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Yeah I somebody congratulating him on his return a couple of weeks ago. Good to see.

  22. #299
    First Team
    Joined
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,014
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    819
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    464
    Thanked in
    311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    To answer my own question, from his twitter page, Smallbone appears to be only back in training for past 2 weeks after being out for 2 months .....
    Ferry has been out injured all season as well and very little sign of Sean brennan which is a shame . O driscoll really needs a loan at this stage in Jan

  23. #300
    Youth Team
    Joined
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    232
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    122
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Ferry has been out injured all season as well and very little sign of Sean brennan which is a shame . O driscoll really needs a loan at this stage in Jan
    As far as I know Ferry restarted training this week.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Attendances 2019
    By ToberonaTornado in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 1106
    Last Post: 02/12/2019, 2:36 AM
  2. Tunnock's Caramel Wafer Challenge Cup 2019
    By patrickccfc in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 13/10/2019, 4:24 PM
  3. FAI Cup 2019
    By Johnnie C in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 115
    Last Post: 13/08/2019, 12:19 PM
  4. FIFA: Ten players poised to star at Poland 2019
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 21/05/2019, 4:01 AM
  5. If GAA players were SOCCER players?
    By davegaasports in forum Other Sports
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10/08/2015, 2:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •