Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: U23 players 2019/20

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Bunch of goals for Irish players in U23 action tonight:

As mentioned elsewhere, Troy Parrott played 45 minutes for Spurs and scored - a step back, or keeping him match sharp for future senior games? Jamie Bowden credited with an assist: https://www.premierleague.com/match/...spurs-v-wolves

Conor Tee came on as a sub two minutes into injury time for Leicester against Southampton and scored five minutes into injury time. Ali Reghba and Darragh O'Connor also featured for Leicester, while Kameron Ledwidge and Will Ferry played for the Saints: https://www.premierleague.com/match/...on-v-leicester

17 years old - moved up to the U23s - came on after 70 minutes - scored four minutes later - Odubeko is really starting to look like the real deal (please stay Mipo!). Meanwhile, two other Irish 17-year-olds featured for Norwich - Omobamidele and Giurgi - as did Hondermarck: https://www.premierleague.com/match/...-ham-v-norwich

Two goals for Kian Flanagan in Palace's 5-1 victory over Colchester: https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/2020/mar...mamadou-sakho/

Olamide Shodipo scored QPR's first against Bristol City: https://www.qpr.co.uk/fixtures/under...3s/?tab=report

Tyreik Wright got an assist for Villa in their 3-1 defeat to Reading: https://www.premierleague.com/match/...illa-v-reading

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Flanagan has really stalled there. Under 23 POTY last year. Has a pop off the club at the start of this season. Goes on trial at Doncaster half way through this season.

He's only 20 but he turned 20 in August and so it's not been the most progressive season for him. No under 21 action for Ireland either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Flanagan's been out for a few weeks with an angle injury as well, think that was has first game in a while

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Flanagan's been out for a few weeks with an angle injury as well, think that was has first game in a while
    So he's got a wrecked angle!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    So he's got a wrecked angle!
    dont be so obtuse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Cashin & Ebosele are currently in action for Derby in the UEFA Youth League last 16. They conceded right on half time to trail 2-1, the Salzburg forward getting in between Cashin and their other centre back to head home. The game is live on BT Sports 2.

Edit - lost 4-1. Cashin turned inside out for the third. Big learning curve it seems.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 04/03/2020 at 5:00 PM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Ryan Burke is on the bench for Birmingham away to Leicester in FA Cup. Only 19.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Tyreik Wright training with the Aston Villa first team this week

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I see Joshua Kayode is on the score sheet tonight again for Carlisle. He's going well.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I see Joshua Kayode is on the score sheet tonight again for Carlisle. He's going well.
    Three goals in five games, two of which were sub appearances - that is promising - whoever's going to be in charge of the U21s for the Italy game in October might want to drop him a line if Kenny plans to use Connolly, Parrott and/or Idah in The Nations League

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    My insecurities surrounding English-born players have seen me share this
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 17/03/2020 at 12:31 PM.

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Troy Parrott has had his appendix removed. I assume that's him out for a while?

I wonder what the next few months hold for our other lads. I definitely think that those who have done a good job in maintaining their fitness levels for the last 3 months are at a huge advantage.

For example, Obafemi often has his professionalism called into question by his manager and himself. On the other hand, Aaron Connolly looks to be physically primed and I know Kenny commented on Connolly's focus and the focus of the Brighton staff on this.

I am not a big social media follower but I'm sure players have demonstrated varying degrees of commitment to their bodies and their footballing sharpness over the last few months. This could vary wildly. For example, lads with a home gym that have remained disciplined to progressing in that environment or someone with a garden and goalposts and the discipline to perform drills will be prepared more than others.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Troy Parrott has had his appendix removed. I assume that's him out for a while?

I wonder what the next few months hold for our other lads. I definitely think that those who have done a good job in maintaining their fitness levels for the last 3 months are at a huge advantage.

For example, Obafemi often has his professionalism called into question by his manager and himself. On the other hand, Aaron Connolly looks to be physically primed and I know Kenny commented on Connolly's focus and the focus of the Brighton staff on this.

I am not a big social media follower but I'm sure players have demonstrated varying degrees of commitment to their bodies and their footballing sharpness over the last few months. This could vary wildly. For example, lads with a home gym that have remained disciplined to progressing in that environment or someone with a garden and goalposts and the discipline to perform drills will be prepared more than others.
    in the short term, i'd agree in terms of keeping sharpness and being ready to go quickly.

there's certainly a school of thought which suggests that modern footballers over tax and under-rest their bodies and that this time was a perfect period to allow their bodies to recover and rest properly...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Warren O'Hora offered new deal at Brighton: https://www.brightonandhovealbion.co...nder-23s-squad
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Article claims that Ali Regba dreams of playing for Algeria: https://www.footalgerien.com/a-20-an...t-de-lalgerie/
    There's no quotes from the player, and it looks like the entire premise is based around Riyad Mahrez being his idol, so I'm not putting too much faith in it.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Tyreik Wright training with the Aston Villa first team

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Louie Barry is also ireland eligible and played u16s before playing for England

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I will say the empty stadium thing might make managers more inclined to throw kids into the mix. I think a big reluctance/fear is how young kids will handle the crowd.

Add in the congested schedule & five sub allowance and this should be beneficial for young players (our ones and others generally).

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    End of season is always a good time as teams end up with little to play for.

So far in Germany, there have been far less kids used than I would have expected. Teams generally using 2-3 subs from 9 available. Although there have been more short term injuries after the layoff which should also help chances...

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Tyreik is still only 18 and has been playing a lot at reserve level. I haven't seen him in a while but if he fills out he could have a good career. I remember him for the under 17s and I was very impressed with his ability to play in different positions across the front, be it as a winger or a second striker off Idah. Anything I've seen of him on YouTube has demonstrated similar, along with a bit of pace, a quick mind and good feet.

Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast