Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast

Thread: U23 players 2019/20

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    It looks as though Armstrong Oko-Flex may have been quietly let go by Celtic. Has also removed all references to Celtic in his Instagram bio.

Plenty of rumour/information on twitter as to why that may have happened.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    https://www.givemesport.com/1591522-...ve-this-summer

Jamie Bowden lining up a move to the Championship or League One it appears. No harm for him at all. International opportunities probably won't extend to under 21 level for him given the level of competition there. Although if he ripped it up on loan anything I'd possible.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    https://www.givemesport.com/1591522-...ve-this-summer

Jamie Bowden lining up a move to the Championship or League One it appears. No harm for him at all. International opportunities probably won't extend to under 21 level for him given the level of competition there. Although if he ripped it up on loan anything I'd possible.
    If he hits the Championship running, then that's what the NL is for, round them up.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    New contract for Lewis Richards at Wolves: https://www.wolves.co.uk/news/under-...rees-new-deal/
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Any reason he hasn't been involved with the 21s? I know he's young but we're pretty weak at left back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    Any reason he hasn't been involved with the 21s? I know he's young but we're pretty weak at left back.
    No idea, but he was with the U19s for their qualifiers last November: https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/moha...ers-in-austria
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    He was involved at 19s recently and he has another campaign at 21s.

You’ve got Thomas O’Connor, Dara Leahy, Trev Clarke, Tyreke Wilson in the 98-99 Group and Ledwidge who has been involved from a younger group. There’s no standout really. But there’s plenty of lads at a similar enough level who are probably ahead of him right now.

My take on them is that Leahy is defensively the best. O’Connor is the most composed and best technical footballer and Clarke is the best dribbler and tackler - Kenny described him as a ‘raider’. Wilson might actually be the quickest, he was recovering from injury when he was involved in Toulon and looked a shadow of his former self. What I’ve seen of him this season, he’s more or less back to what he was. Lightweight but quick, aggressive and technically sound - but he really can’t cross a ball to save his life... Ledwidge looked good at 19s but going up to 21s struggled.

You’ve also got Furlong who looked great for the 17s last summer and Ogungbo (spelling?) who I believe like Richards can play either centre back or left back. Feel like there might be someone else I’m forgetting in that centre back / left back mould from 2001

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    I think that’s just they played Sobawele at fullback in November. Interestingly from what I’ve seen at academy level, all 6 defenders in that squad were playing primarily at centre back at the time.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post

You’ve got Thomas O’Connor, Dara Leahy, Trev Clarke, Tyreke Wilson in the 98-99 Group and Ledwidge who has been involved from a younger group. There’s no standout really. But there’s plenty of lads at a similar enough level who are probably ahead of him right now.

My take on them is that Leahy is defensively the best. O’Connor is the most composed and best technical footballer and Clarke is the best dribbler and tackler - Kenny described him as a ‘raider’. Wilson might actually be the quickest, he was recovering from injury when he was involved in Toulon and looked a shadow of his former self. What I’ve seen of him this season, he’s more or less back to what he was. Lightweight but quick, aggressive and technically sound - but he really can’t cross a ball to save his life... Ledwidge looked good at 19s but going up to 21s struggled.

You’ve also got Furlong who looked great for the 17s last summer and Ogungbo (spelling?) who I believe like Richards can play either centre back or left back. Feel like there might be someone else I’m forgetting in that centre back / left back mould from 2001
    Connell has played left back for Ireland at under 19 level. He's a 2001. Also Ryan Burke (November 2000) is a left back.

We're not short of options anyway.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post

I haven't seen much of it at Gillingham but I believe O'Connor finished out the season strongly there on the left of a midfield diamond. From watching him at left back for Ireland, I think your point regarding the composure and technique is right. I reckon he would be well served getting a good loan to a progressive Championship side to play midfield this season. He is definitely in the mould of player that Southampton have developed.ovet recent years with guys who can play in multiple positions- I think Chambers is a good example and Stephens and Valery have all flitted between midfield and defence, whilst Ward-Prowse can play anywhere in midfield.

As an aside on this guy, he is prodigiously talented at both GAA codes. Before he left for Southampton he hit 2-6 against a St Brendan's side full of Hogan cup winners in the year or two that followed: https://www.the42.ie/good-counsel-st...73369-Apr2015/

14. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Danny Grant has scored again for Bohs. This lad could break into the under 21 side rather quickly given the extended break somebody like Elbouzedi has had to sit through.

16. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Saturday 15 August: Josh Giurgi (second-half sub), Simon Power (first half) and Andrew Omobamidele played for Norwich U-23s, beaten 0-2 by Portsmouth, for whom Ronan Curtis scored from a free kick.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Very strange to see Simon Power being given that game, given that he has been sent to King's Lynn for the last season of his contract.

Ryan Cassidy went and scored for Accrington Stanley today against Oldham.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Aaron O'Driscoll has left Southampton by mutual consent. He is 21 so probably the right move for him to get a chance elsewhere. Will be interesting to see where he ends up next.

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Aaron O'Driscoll has left Southampton by mutual consent. He is 21 so probably the right move for him to get a chance elsewhere. Will be interesting to see where he ends up next.
    Apparently Mansfield Town according to this:

https://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/w...-39450286.html

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    That would be five Irish under 23 players at Mansfield, so a club to keep an eye on next season, albeit none of the five would be among our highest rated young players.

23. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Corey O’Keeffe also just signed for Mansfield after being released by Birmingham this summer. They are managed by Graham Coughlan he is building an Irish contingent

25. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Aaron O'Driscoll to Mansfield has been confirmed. He joins Ryan Sweeney, James Clarke, Corey O'Keeffe and Harry Charsley there.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    Irish under 21 player Dan McNamara starting for St Johnsone in the live Sky game tonight. Not a player I have seen a huge amount of, he's playing right wing back.

Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast