Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast

Thread: U23 players 2019/20

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Lee O'Connor named Ireland player of the year at Under 21 age level.

Some contrast between his club career and his international career to date. Euro 19s finals, Under 21 regular from age of 18, Under 21 player of the year and a senior cap versus a handful of games and poor enough reports from his time at Partick Thistle.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Molumby and Ronan fairly hard done by there...

3. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Gavin Bazunu added to Man City's Champions League squad, replacing Leroy Sane: https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsle...squad-changes/
    Great news but replacing Leroy Sane? Are we expecting Bazunu to start scoring 10 a season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    According to some reports, he could do a job in centre mid!
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Ryan Cassidy tweeted last night that he was "absolutely buzzing... ⚽" Word is that he is moving on loan to Accrington Stanley. They finished in the lower half of League One last season. They don't appear to have many forward options at present so he will get opportunities. Adjusting to League One level will be his challenge.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Good move for him if true. Stanley are apparently cutting their squad to the bare bones this season so there should be plenty of first team opportunities for him if he goes there.

League 1 is a decent level for him to be playing at at this stage of his development.

He has long been talked about in the same context as Idah, Connolly etc. but to be honest I have hardly if ever seen the lad play, so this would finally give us the chance to see what his potential might be.

Another player who was always mentioned in that group was Glen Mcauley, but it hasn't worked out for him at all. Is he still at Bohs?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I thought McAuley was with Bohs but he wasn't in their squad at the weekend against Cork City.

I think both McAuley and Cassidy had issues within our underage set-up. I could be wrong but I think both were expecting more game time or I have seen that speculated.

Neither has kicked in at club level as quickly as Idah, Connolly, Obafemi or Parrott. These four lads have all graduated to under 21 and senior level quicker too. I do think that says something about appetite and work ethic and believing your own hype.

I'll qualify that in stating that there have been different little scenarios amongst the four golden boys. As it stands, as of now, they are in very, very strong positions regardless of any challenges they have had.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Not sure about Cassidy, but McAuley refused a call up to the UEFA U17 Championships because he was told he'd be playing on the wing instead of up front.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    It really is a great loan in theory. If he plays and scores 5 or 6 goals in a mid table team that's a good start. If he stays after jan and gets to double figures while also developing physically he will do fine. The snag is the physical and mental development when away from parent club staff... dont know anything about Cassidy personally but this is an enormous opportunity

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Was it Cassidy who scored a belter for Watford U23s at Anfield? Sheer pace and an emphatic finish. That's all I have seen of him apart from his 6 pack on twitter last week. Aaron Connolly has one too, and rumour has it Crafty Toe Poke has one in the making.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Yeah, was a great goal from him

14. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I thought McAuley was with Bohs but he wasn't in their squad at the weekend against Cork City.

I think both McAuley and Cassidy had issues within our underage set-up. I could be wrong but I think both were expecting more game time or I have seen that speculated.

Neither has kicked in at club level as quickly as Idah, Connolly, Obafemi or Parrott. These four lads have all graduated to under 21 and senior level quicker too. I do think that says something about appetite and work ethic and believing your own hype.

I'll qualify that in stating that there have been different little scenarios amongst the four golden boys. As it stands, as of now, they are in very, very strong positions regardless of any challenges they have had.
    McAuley wasn't in the Bohs squad due to concussion

RE underage set-up: McAuley seemed not to get on with one of the underage managers and Cassidy, as far as I remember was more the family making a big deal when he wasn't included in the 17s squad despite scoring 30 goals for Watford U18s or something.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    https://www.watfordfc.com/draft/arti...an-for-cassidy

Loan to Accrington Stanley confirmed for Ryan Cassidy. It all sounds very positive for him. His Twitter has evidence of his physical progression since his action was halted too to support the academy manager claims in that regard.

17. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Danny Grant has opened the scoring here for Bohs against Dundalk. He looks a player.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts

Loan to Accrington Stanley confirmed for Ryan Cassidy. It all sounds very positive for him. His Twitter has evidence of his physical progression since his action was halted too to support the academy manager claims in that regard.
    Interview here with him.

https://twitter.com/ASFCofficial/sta...921564674?s=20

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    I don't blame Mandriou for being unhappy with the (gargled) tweet that Bohs put out tonight. It was obviously a joke or a mistake but could potentially cause reputational damage to a player who I'm sure still has aspirations to play at a higher level.

Interesting to see the likes of Connolly and Molumby on twitter backing up his statement. To them it must look like amateur hour compared to the professional setup they'll be used to at Brighton.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts

Great news - by the looks of it, this season we could well have two U21 strikers playing regularly in the Premier League (Obafemi and Connolly), two in the Championship (Idah and Parrott), two in League One (Scully and Cassidy), Kayode in League Two, Keena in Scottish League One and Afolabi in Scottish Championship/League One - so potentially nine young Irish strikers banging in goals in the UK!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    I don't blame Mandriou for being unhappy with the (gargled) tweet that Bohs put out tonight. It was obviously a joke or a mistake but could potentially cause reputational damage to a player who I'm sure still has aspirations to play at a higher level.

Interesting to see the likes of Connolly and Molumby on twitter backing up his statement. To them it must look like amateur hour compared to the professional setup they'll be used to at Brighton.
    Whoever posted that should be removed from going near Bohs account. It was obviously meant as a joke but one that shouldn’t have been made and contributed negatively to his reputation.

As for Connolly, he has spent the last week spraying bottles of champagne and lobbing Grey Goose around Ibiza - he is very young but it’s not a great look considering what the general population is going through

I assume and hope that Mandriou hasn’t used the time injured to visit Ibiza as has been suggested online. That would be a terrible decision.

I know he’s trying to support his girlfriend etc etc but the stuff he posted on Twitter was incredibly stupid, minimising people dying from Covid.

As Derek Pender retired, he emphasised in interviews how Mandriou really needed to work, to train properly and to focus. Equally the likes of Molumby and Connolly and others have all spoken of Mandriou as being the most talented U21 from the current squad. I remember seeing him on the bench against Luxembourg and at half time, he was pinging shots from near the halfway line. I’ve never seen anything like it. It was so effortless and they were like bullets. Genuinely jaw dropping stuff.

There’s a real danger that he wastes his enormous talent.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Yes I've seen some of the Connolly stuff. I'd probably let him off as a one off as it is the off season and he's unlikely to get another decent break until next summer with the fixture situation. He's just signed a new life changing contract as well after a huge season of progress.

Hopefully Mandriou can get a run of games and get another shot at a higher level after Brighton didn't work out for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Bazunu included in man City's travelling squad: https://www.mancity.com/news/mens/ch...isbon-63732679

Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast