Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Public Liability Insurance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    The Finn Gael party are attempting to get insurance premiums up aswell!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    ESB guy slipping while getting the post and awarded a wad of money because he wasnt trained on how to pick up the post in the rain one of the more ridiculous reasons for liability I have seen or the restaurant that was sued by a woman who banged her leg on the table leg and because the waiter had pulled the chair out for her they were liable.
    Typically Irish unfortunately, as long as someone is screwing a 'big company' its OK (bit like tax evasion) no concept of where the cost usually ends up. Two current FG T.D.s already involved in ahem, 'compenmsation cases' (swing gate and the lad pictured playing football while 'injured'), so don't expect much leadership from the Government

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    The Finn Gael party are attempting to get insurance premiums up aswell!
    Sure isn't their modus operandi to make life as unpleasant as possible for joe soaps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    78,340 raised in the annual draw

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Massively impressive. Sligo's ability to pull together and financially support their club is an example to the rest of us.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    78,340 raised in the annual draw
    Well done, have always admired the family/community feel at Sligo. Proper sustainable way to run a club with people who appreciate their role as custodians of the club rather than owners.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Two big issues with the state of insurance premiums - the soaring profit margins of insurance companies combined with under-reporting, from their end, of suspected fraud to Garda - were brought up over the weekend: https://www.independent.ie/business/...-38284217.html

God knows my social media and TV has seen plenty of those dumb "It isn't funny when it's your money" ads trying to get me to report insurance fraud, but that's clearly not the issue here. It's blatantly transparent what is happening, the question is what the political establishment is going to do about it, if anything.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    It's an interesting debate actually.

Weston is a useless journalist I've always found. In this case, his "profits soar 1300%" line is because he's taking a starting point where combined industry profits were almost nil. That's not sustainable.

You'd have to imagine there's more fraud going on than is being formally noted. So why the outcome of the Oireachtas hearing? A couple of options come to mind -

1) The insurance industry don't care about payouts so long as premiums can rise to cover them. I could buy this.
    2) It genuinely is really difficult to disprove things like pain, emotional trauma or even whiplash. So you can suspect they're fraudulent while knowing there's **** all point dumping 20k cases on the Gardaí
    3) So why didn't the guys at the hearing just say that? Probably because if they went on record saying " We don't investigate because we know we can't prove", then you're potentially calling open gates on claims

What's the solution? Hard to give a solid answer. "Greater regulation of payouts" is a bit wishy-washy. I don't know why car trackers haven't caught on more; they're starting to record crash data now which would almost immediately rule out a claim (you crashed at 5mph => zero chance of whiplash)

Should insurance companies be awarded costs if they win their claim? Would be another discouragement to spurious claims

Should the government step in and say car insurance is x oer year, end of story? It would mean insurers have to ok at reducing costs rather than increasing premiums. But there's lots of different insurance types; you can't set prices for all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...E&ceid=IE%3Aen

Wish I got trapped in a lift more often.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Ah, but he got a scratch like. On his leg!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    The Dublin Ocktoberfest cancelled owing to insurance costs, or so the organisers claim.

I wonder what level of event/club cancellation it would take for the government to pro-actively step in (as opposed to the "Judicial Council", whose edicts could take two and a half years to come into effect, or so I have read)? I was thinking if GAA clubs started feeling the effect to the point they needed to fold underage/senior teams, it's already bad enough for them: https://www.independent.ie/business/...-36944567.html
    Last edited by NeverFeltBetter; 25/07/2019 at 12:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    The Dublin Ocktoberfest cancelled owing to insurance costs, or so the organisers claim.

I wonder what level of event/club cancellation it would take for the government to pro-actively step in? I was thinking if GAA clubs started feeling the effect to the point they needed to fold underage/senior teams, it's already bad enough for them: https://www.independent.ie/business/...-36944567.html
    Jaysus this has to stop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts

I wonder what level of event/club cancellation it would take for the government to pro-actively step in (as opposed to the "Judicial Council", whose edicts could take two and a half years to come into effect, or so I have read)? I was thinking if GAA clubs started feeling the effect to the point they needed to fold underage/senior teams, it's already bad enough for them: https://www.independent.ie/business/...-36944567.html
    HSE wastes tens of millions every year on “settlements “ Local Authorities hand out money for (often spurious) claims at an alarming rate. Scammers and the legal profession (ultimate scammers &#128513 are making fortunes out of it.
    Easier to stick your nose in the trough (the swing gate fiasco among others) than attempt to stop it. The Taoiseach even refusing to call exaggerated claims “fraud”.
    As ever in Ireland “fraud” only applies to ordinary people, if you want it stopped just direct AGS to prosecute those fraudulent / exaggerated claims, if it’s good enough for Social Welfare fraud and TV license evasion....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    HSE wastes tens of millions every year on “settlements “ Local Authorities hand out money for (often spurious) claims at an alarming rate. Scammers and the legal profession (ultimate scammers ��) are making fortunes out of it.
    Easier to stick your nose in the trough (the swing gate fiasco among others) than attempt to stop it. The Taoiseach even refusing to call exaggerated claims “fraud”.
    As ever in Ireland “fraud” only applies to ordinary people, if you want it stopped just direct AGS to prosecute those fraudulent / exaggerated claims, if it’s good enough for Social Welfare fraud and TV license evasion....
    I can see why he is afraid of the word fraud alright.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Here we go.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/i...viva-73zzdjfr7
    If this is the way things are going then God help our LOI clubs having to payout because of their wayward striker who can't hit the target.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    Here we go.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/i...viva-73zzdjfr7
    If this is the way things are going then God help our LOI clubs having to payout because of their wayward striker who can't hit the target.
    You think it can't get worse then you read the likes of that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    On the plus side, it might drive up attendances if people know they could be in line for a 20k prize just for turning up

19. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    You think it can't get worse then you read the likes of that.
    The 2 girls were probably on their phones and not even watching the games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    I would have thought that the ticket T&C's would have included something to cover that, like they tend to do with the use of image.

Edit: And I mean, rugby is small fry for that kind of thing. We all remember that woman who lost sight in one eye at that golf tournament, and in the last two hurling matches I intended, sliotars rained down on the crowds behind the goals when warming-up players hit them too high. At the Munster Final a young girl a few rows in front of me got a glancing blow to the head off a bouncing one (she was fine, or at least she said she was).

Point being that the comparatively softer, albeit potentially pointier, rugby ball shouldn't be in the same league.
    Last edited by NeverFeltBetter; 29/07/2019 at 8:38 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    I would have thought that the ticket T&C's would have included something to cover that, like they tend to do with the use of image.

Edit: And I mean, rugby is small fry for that kind of thing. We all remember that woman who lost sight in one eye at that golf tournament, and in the last two hurling matches I intended, sliotars rained down on the crowds behind the goals when warming-up players hit them too high. At the Munster Final a young girl a few rows in front of me got a glancing blow to the head off a bouncing one (she was fine, or at least she said she was).

Point being that the comparatively softer, albeit potentially pointier, rugby ball shouldn't be in the same league.
    If they were hit by a rugby ball in a public park how much would they get ? Is the “pain” that much worse in the Aviva ? It’s an embarrassing scam because the whole “personal injuries “ circus has become a scammers dream.
    Until the counts and insurance companies start addressing these type of scams insurance costs will continue to spiral

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast