Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Gibraltar - 10th June 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    He was bloody good then. I would say his peak was between 2001 - 2004. He's one of those players who peaked early. I remember seeing him when he broke into the Man Utd team in 2001-2002 and failing to understand how he wasn't in the World Cup squad.

Ian Harte was a liability for much of the 2002 World Cup. We didn't really have anybody take his place at left-back. Stan's pace was too much gone for playing at left-back. We could have had O'Shea at left-back, and that would also have allowed us to play Duff on the wing instead of having Kilbane cover for Duff. Steven Reid was also really good back then (pre-injury), but Mick stayed loyal to McAteer (when he was clearly injured) and Gary Kelly (who was off the boil).

Below is a possible 2002 Starting XI in an alternate universe, which would have put Duff out on the left where he could do maximum damage, and taken advantage of the fact that we had three class central midfielders (play them all! we were always dropping one of Kinsella or Holland... Mick not being able to accommodate multiple top players is a recurring theme).

Given
    Finnan - Cunningham - Breen - O'Shea
    Reid - Kinsella - Keane - Holland - Duff
    Keane

There has always been too much of loyalty to existing players in the Ireland squad and it has done my head in for years. Not just by Mick but by all managers. Places in the team should be continually earned, there should be no favouritism.
    Although I agree there should be no favouritism, Harte did plenty to earn his selection, both for us and at club level with an excellent Leeds side. He had a poor World Cup alright, these things happen, but I don't think O'Shea had done nearly enough to dislodge him at that point in time, as promising as he looked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    He had a poor World Cup alright, these things happen, but I don't think O'Shea had done nearly enough to dislodge him at that point in time, as promising as he looked.
    Is the correct answer. The stats are there. Harte was considerably more likely to be involved in getting a goal than the concession of one.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Would anyone object to this team against the Swiss ( if they are playing ok at club level of course)
    -----------Randy
    Matt D Duffy Egan Stevens
    -------James McCarthy ----
    Coleman -------Robinson------O dowda
    ------------ McGoldrick
    ------------Michael Obafemi
    Yes lets try playing against one of the top ranked teams in Europe with 1 recognised centre mid
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EAFC_rdfl View Post
    Yes lets try playing against one of the top ranked teams in Europe with 1 recognised centre mid
    And an over-stimulated goalkeeper.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    Is the correct answer. The stats are there. Harte was considerably more likely to be involved in getting a goal than the concession of one.
    harte also reportedly had a foot injury that required a pain killing injection before each match. who was to know that when the squad was announced?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    -- Mr Darren Edward Andrew Randolph --
    Coleman ----- Duffy --- Keogh ----- Stevens
    --------------------------- Arter ---------------------------
    O'Dowda Hendrick Hourihane Robinson
    ---------------------- McGoldrick ----------------------

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EAFC_rdfl View Post
    We played with two "recognized" centre mids yesterday how did that float your boat!

Do you not think McCarthy and Robinson with McGoldrick dropping in would work

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I just dont get the Hourihane love in, I thought he was sh*t
    Hourihane pinged about half a dozen diagonal passes across the field and right on the money - he was the only player on the pitch who showed he was capable of passing the ball.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    He was bloody good then. I would say his peak was between 2001 - 2004. He's one of those players who peaked early. I remember seeing him when he broke into the Man Utd team in 2001-2002 and failing to understand how he wasn't in the World Cup squad.

I remember him coming off the bench for man utd and the whole pub (when I was in England) shaking their heads in a collective groan, he was always a bit of a comedy player. Please.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    I remember him coming off the bench for man utd and the whole pub (when I was in England) shaking their heads in a collective groan, he was always a bit of a comedy player. Please.
    hundreds of man u appearances, 5 epls, a champions lge and 118 irish caps..... comedy player alright

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Although I agree there should be no favouritism, Harte did plenty to earn his selection, both for us and at club level with an excellent Leeds side. He had a poor World Cup alright, these things happen, but I don't think O'Shea had done nearly enough to dislodge him at that point in time, as promising as he looked.
    Oh, Harte definitely deserved to go to the world cup, and as a starter too.

But McCarthy did make a tactical oversight by failing to bring a proper backup LB. It's a 23 man squad and ideally you want to have every position covered twice, plus a third goalkeeper. Harte had a foot problem as it transpired, and wasn't playing great. Having O'Shea ready to fill in when needed would have been very handy.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    He had Finnan and Kelly in the squad, both had played at left full. Leaving out O'Shea was hardly a crime.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    He had Finnan and Kelly in the squad, both had played at left full. Leaving out O'Shea was hardly a crime.
    Josh got a run out of sorts in a friendly in the run up to the 2002 WC (against Croatia?) as a late sub, we were one up at the death. When we were defending a corner, he leaped up with an outstretched hand and conceded a penalty which was converted. Friendly or not, it was an act of criminal naivety on the international stage which cost us a victory. It was an image which endured and my first thought was no way do we need a very talented but rookie defender who can make a gaff like that after 5 minutes.
    Whatever gripes one can have about Mick, the argument against the decision to leave Josh at home doesn't hold water. Crap games against the minnow aside, Mick has done well in the 2 other games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    For a team like ours with no lethal options available, a game like Gibraltar is always going to be a no-win situation for a manager. We have people here ripping Mick for not playing Doherty out wide again, despite what we saw in the previous Gibraltar fixture.

In my own non forum conversations I have suggested we should have had a guy like McGeady involved — if only for the purpose of unlocking a packed defence.

But there is a value to playing the same team against Gibraltar as will play against the Swiss. Perhaps the score won’t be as impressive vs Gibraltar but things will be more cohesive in September.

McGeady offers more against a weak team like Gibraltar, no doubt. But against a better side in Switzerland, perhaps Mick feels McClean will offer a more total contribution.

I don’t think McClean has the guile to ever look good against Gibraltar or in any game where we’re favourite. But against the Swiss I believe he will add value. He will unsettle them, and despite his raw approach to the game, he has the capability to score or create chances for others.

A bit of a rant but I am happy with Mick’s work so far. If he feels Doherty needs to be left out for balance’s sake, I back that. I will admit that I’d like to see Crowley involved but maybe the time for that is the October friendly vs Bulgaria. To be fair to Mick his immediate leap into competitive games has given him very little room for experimentation.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    They played like rubbish with Doherty against Gibraltar and even worse without Doherty against Gibraltar. Doherty can't be blamed for the overall crápness of the Ireland team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    They played like rubbish with Doherty against Gibraltar and even worse without Doherty against Gibraltar. Doherty can't be blamed for the overall crápness of the Ireland team.
    the home performance against gibraltar was miles better than the away. we created many more chances monday and dominated possession. randolph had a couple of saves to make over there but cant remember his involvement monday being much more than taking kick outs

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Depends on your view of it.

But don't see why Doherty gets so much stick. Playing in an airport parking lot also played a role.

We have hardly any top players. It just so happens that our two best players play in similar positions. We have to make things work so that they can both play. Anything else is a failure to capitalise on resources.

Mick seems to think it is 2001 and that we have top players in nearly every position on the pitch. Somebody send him the memo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    This is a bit of a comedy post. Come on Benno.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    I'm not sure what Doherty would have done differently in the game. He's not known for dribbling, so it's not like he was gong to get past the same two banks of defence that the players that were on the pitch struggled to get through. Don't get me wrong, I'd have liked to see him play, but I don't buy into the "we'd have won by more with Doherty" argument.
    The one player I am really disappointed that didn't get on is Cullen.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I'm not sure what Doherty would have done differently in the game. He's not known for dribbling, so it's not like he was gong to get past the same two banks of defence that the players that were on the pitch struggled to get through. Don't get me wrong, I'd have liked to see him play, but I don't buy into the "we'd have won by more with Doherty" argument.
    The one player I am really disappointed that didn't get on is Cullen.
    If there is some issue with Doherty fitting into Mick's system, this game would have been a risk-free way to try and iron some of those issues out.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast