Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Gibraltar - 10th June 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Tbh I'm just sick of the "What would Wales Do" mob. we should nearly do the opposite to them
    They are 2nd last they did lose to Hungary and at the beginning of the qualifiers I would have swapped places with them. Croatia would win the group and I would be confident we would come 2nd in that group ahead of Slovakia and Hungary. Wales have also appointed a manager with virtually zero experience and a man of absolutely zero integrity. We have an very good manager who is respected and loved by most. Their qualification track record is a disgrace. We have qualified 6 times in modern football compared to their 1.
    Okay, I don't really care what Wales do though, just so you know.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 18/06/2019 at 11:45 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    476 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Okay, I don't really care what Wales do though, just so you know.
    and that's the correct mentality, as far as I'm concerned they can pick Tom Jones if they want

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    I'm not too bothered by what Wales do either, but they're far from alone in this regard, and it's something we're going to see more of in future

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    and that's the correct mentality, as far as I'm concerned they can pick Tom Jones if they want
    How do you feel about Daniel O'Donnell as a defensive midfielder?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Overall I can totally see where you're coming from and it is definitely the approach with most integrity. It's a harsh footballing world out there though, I don't think it's a completely black and white issue. It is for you though which is fair enough.
    Nah, I think for lots of youngsters, it's very grey. But once you accept a call-up, or declare yourself available, for me it is then black and white.

The system allows ample time underage, the players are wealthy young men who can ask just about anyone for advice etc. They are not orphaned waifs we're taking in. That's my stance. And if a guy travels with our squad for a vital qualifier he has to be committed. For me, then it gets simple.

Before, and I mentioned the future with all our future Nigerian, Brazilian, Polish, Lithuanian, Romanian, etc kids, it will be very grey....
    But I look forward to that.

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    I'm not looking forward to the first high profile defection. It's early doors, in particular for those of Nigerian heritage. So I hope that Obafemi has started a trend.

Of course, it's completely the lads' prerogative but I'm being a selfish supporter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    572 Posts
    I personally think you should have two grandparents, one parent or be born in the country yourself. Or else, have moved over at a young age and come up through that country’s system.
    I don’t like the fact that a player can possible play for 5 different countries if he has 4 grandparents from different places and was born in another place.
    I don’t for a second think that Robinson or Scott Hogan grew up feeling Irish.
    But I accept it far more than the rugby residency rule which I think has made a mockery of international rugby.

Are the FIFA rules in correlation with general international rules of citizenship?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Scott Hogan has got your required two Irish grandparents though.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    I personally think you should have two grandparents, one parent or be born in the country yourself. Or else, have moved over at a young age and come up through that country’s system.
    I don’t like the fact that a player can possible play for 5 different countries if he has 4 grandparents from different places and was born in another place.
    I don’t for a second think that Robinson or Scott Hogan grew up feeling Irish.
    But I accept it far more than the rugby residency rule which I think has made a mockery of international rugby.

Are the FIFA rules in correlation with general international rules of citizenship?
    I wouldn't doubt Robinson for a second. He declared for Ireland at 22, made the initial contact himself and spoke very eloquently about his decision that he'd been thinking about it for a number of years – and about the relationship he had with his mother and the importance of the decision to him and his family. If he had held out for another 3-4 years, you could argue that but i would take him at face value.

The FIFA rules were directly correlated to international citizenship, so if you're a citizen you can play for the country but then a load of countries started abusing it, so then they made a rule that there had to be 'a clear connection' to a country – which people began to abuse as well, at first slightly, like Poland who gave Roger Gurreiro Polish citizenship after living there for just 21 months, so that he could play in Euro 2008. Soon you had one of the arab countries giving passports to load of young brazilians who had just arrived there and calling them up to the national team, their connection being that they lived there. Or certain situations regarding great great grandparents.

So then FIFA made the criteria one of these 4: 1) residency a 5-year minimum 2) parents born there 3) or grandparents or 4) individual born there. I think you have to be a citizen as well as meeting those criteria, so that's why Lido Lotefa wasn't eligible to play for the Irish youth sides because he was in direct provision in Mosney and not yet eligible for a passport. It's also why a child born in Ireland could theoretically not be eligible, for example if the parents were in Ireland on student visas (thanks to Michael McDowell and those who voted for the 27th amendment of the constitution)...

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    We also have the phenomenon of having many players not caring a fig about Ireland....until coming to play for us. Then some have become our most committed. (Or manage us: J. Charlton for instance)

So, for me it'll always be a case by case basis with the scientific data from Stuttgart88s' gut test as the thing which helps make the final decision. (Did the patent for that come through yet?)

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    572 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    We also have the phenomenon of having many players not caring a fig about Ireland....until coming to play for us. Then some have become our most committed. (Or manage us: J. Charlton for instance)

So, for me it'll always be a case by case basis with the scientific data from Stuttgart88s' gut test as the thing which helps make the final decision. (Did the patent for that come through yet?)
    This is true.
    Matt Holland and Andy Townsend spring to mind.

I didn’t know that about Robinson or Hogan so that’s my bad.

Clinton Morrison another one who bided his time but when he decided to commit he was a great servant to be fair. And unlucky not to get more caps under Stan.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Robinson and McGoldrick have spoken about having a long-held desire to play for us. Whether that's genuine or not, they have demonstrated serious commitment in the last year or so. Hard to know if the cart or the horse came first on that one though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Highlights added; thread locked
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678