Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Gibraltar - 10th June 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I'm not sure what Doherty would have done differently in the game. He's not known for dribbling, so it's not like he was gong to get past the same two banks of defence that the players that were on the pitch struggled to get through. Don't get me wrong, I'd have liked to see him play, but I don't buy into the "we'd have won by more with Doherty" argument.
    The one player I am really disappointed that didn't get on is Cullen.
    yep, Cullen should have started. Jeff needs to be dropped even for his own sakes , a kick up the arse might help him.

I wonder does mick think he handled the Dan Crowley dutch cup final correctly now. Leaving early etc. That game would have been perfect for him

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    yep, Cullen should have started. Jeff needs to be dropped even for his own sakes , a kick up the arse might help him.

I wonder does mick think he handled the Dan Crowley dutch cup final correctly now. Leaving early etc. That game would have been perfect for him
    Also if he had played cullen and if the lad played well he could have been an option for the swiss game, now no way he makes his debut on a game that big

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    What's all the Cullen talk for? He's finished a loan at League One and has yet to do much at Championship level. Mick had a few kind words. And he's young. But still... Maybe it's the dearth of options.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    What's all the Cullen talk for? He's finished a loan at League One and has yet to do much at Championship level. Mick had a few kind words. And he's young. But still... Maybe it's the dearth of options.
    Because he is a good player and it looks like he has been recalled to West ham a premiership team because they think he is a good player too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Also, we don't know what's going to happen in the new season in England. If he gets into the west ham side, the first question that's going to be asked is "why isn't he in the England squad".
    This was a real opportunity to stop that conversation ever before it starts.

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Because he is a good player and it looks like he has been recalled to West ham a premiership team because they think he is a good player too
    I won't argue the first point. On the second point, He was recalled by them after his Bradford spell too, only to go on and not get games at Bolton. That's hardly evidence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Also, we don't know what's going to happen in the new season in England. If he gets into the west ham side, the first question that's going to be asked is "why isn't he in the England squad".
    A little more irritating when we actually finished the game with a substitution to spare, granted it was still only 1-0 in the 93rd minute so not really the time to be focused on anything other than getting the win. Hard to believe he didn't use all three though given some of the performances.

9. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    It's not just that, this was the only realistic opportunity to tie him for the next 18 months(Euros qualification dependent). It would be ok if we had a not so important list of qualifiers left.

Mick Mc should have been stung on this, and yet it wasn't asked once. There really is no excuse to miss another one.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Mick Mc should have been stung on this, and yet it wasn't asked once.
    I don't think he's have had much difficulty dealing with that line of questioning. "Why didn't you cap young Cullen, Mick, you know, to tie the fecker down?".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    The post noting Wales' position in their group says it all, for me.

I'm not for capping lads for 3 minutes to tie them down. One thing that Mick has brought back is unity and team spirit. I think capping lads who may regret playing for us in a year's time is creating potential to spoil the atmosphere. Not worth it, imo. I watched the League 1 play off final. Cullen looked promising but for me did not stand out as someone ready for top flight football. He's not far off, mind.

(McGeady beating players at will while only half-fit did, however....but that's another debate)

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    This is a bit of a comedy post. Come on Benno.
    Not really Realale, Irish supporters always seem to have the blinkers on...........and we are quick to slag the English about it.........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    I’d say many’s a collective groan was heard in pubs when you were in England Benno,might not have had much to do with John O’Shea though.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    John O'Shea's best form for Ireland came after Trap took over onwards. I think around 2008. I remember the panel discussing why he had started suddenly attacking the ball. Up till that point he was always tentative. As for playing at full-back, he always was too wasteful in possession there, he'd lamp these hopeful balls down the line to no one and we'd give away the ball again and again and again...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    All the Cullen talk is happening because Hendrick is rank average and has been in a green shirt for a while (throw in Whelan and we really have a midfield to be reckoned with). Hendrick has been on borrowed time for quite some time, but in typical Irish fashion we will keep throwing the dice until Jeff has his first good game in 15 or 16 internationals, and then it'll be like: "Hendrick played really well - quieting all the naysayers who have been criticizing his performances of late"

Dan Crowley should have been brought in by now (at least to the training camp) and how much worse could Cullen have played (instead of Hendrick) the other night? As Diggs pointed out, he would then have been an option for the next game. It's very simple for the remainder of the campaign - If Ireland beat Switzerland in September, McCarthy's methods will have been deemed a success (in how he's developing his squad). But anything other than a victory will start the second-guessing of the manager.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    The post noting Wales' position in their group says it all, for me.
    They were missing some important players and lost two difficult away games, don't think that indicates anything really in terms of the attitude/commitment of their players.

I kind of agree with the rest of your post though, well, I'm kind of torn on it. I would have been happy to see Cullen capped the last night as I think he could have added a bit of balance to our midfield, while also having the bonus of him being now tied to us.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    They were missing some important players and lost two difficult away games, don't think that indicates anything really in terms of the attitude/commitment of their players.

I kind of agree with the rest of your post though, well, I'm kind of torn on it. I would have been happy to see Cullen capped the last night as I think he could have added a bit of balance to our midfield, while also having the bonus of him being now tied to us.
    They looked almost full strength to me

The main point is we shouldnt be copying a country that has qualified for 1 competition in 65 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts

Tie no one. As Robbie says, we are Ireland.

For me, give them time, which they have ample amounts of now and then let them decide. Us deciding for them? Absolutely give me a break. No way. This is a country and team that needs characters and passion and 100%. I mean, jaysis, Robbie actually scoffs at the Rice situation.

To tie someone to represent this country? Case by case but with Cullen in Portugal and then on....no way. Not a chance. If he gets his place on merit, yeah.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    They looked almost full strength to me
    I'm pretty sure I read that Ben Davies was ruled out for the two games but I see he played. Obviously they were missing Ramsey.

The main point is we shouldnt be copying a country that has qualified for 1 competition in 65 years.
    I thought the main point was that Wales' aggressive approach in tying players down isn't working for them, because of their current group position. I don't think you can judge that on two difficult away games. And maybe qualifying for only one competition in 65 years is part of the reason for their (relatively new?) approach.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 18/06/2019 at 9:18 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    Tie no one. As Robbie says, we are Ireland.

For me, give them time, which they have ample amounts of now and then let them decide. Us deciding for them? Absolutely give me a break. No way. This is a country and team that needs characters and passion and 100%. I mean, jaysis, Robbie actually scoffs at the Rice situation.

To tie someone to represent this country? Case by case but with Cullen in Portugal and then on....no way. Not a chance. If he gets his place on merit, yeah.
    Overall I can totally see where you're coming from and it is definitely the approach with most integrity. It's a harsh footballing world out there though, I don't think it's a completely black and white issue. It is for you though which is fair enough.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 18/06/2019 at 9:19 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    I'm pretty sure I read that Ben Davies was ruled out for the two games but I see he played. Obviously they were missing Ramsey.

I thought the main point was that Wales' aggressive approach in tying players down isn't working for them, because of their current group position. I don't think you can judge that on two difficult away games. And maybe qualifying for only one competition in 65 years is part of the reason for their (relatively new?) approach.
    Tbh I'm just sick of the "What would Wales Do" mob. we should nearly do the opposite to them
    They are 2nd last they did lose to Hungary and at the beginning of the qualifiers I would have swapped places with them. Croatia would win the group and I would be confident we would come 2nd in that group ahead of Slovakia and Hungary. Wales have also appointed a manager with virtually zero experience and a man of absolutely zero integrity. We have an very good manager who is respected and loved by most. Their qualification track record is a disgrace. We have qualified 6 times in modern football compared to their 1.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast