Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LOI Premier division player faces drugs ban.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I always feel a bit sorry for the guy who gets suspended if it was for social non performance enhancing stuff (Hash/Coke) as it always seems strange to me that Tony Adams / Paul Merson / Paul McGrath etc etc can drink 10 pints and be tested and be "clean" but a guy who smokes a joint or sniffs a line of Coke on a night out is banned.

I know the argument is that its illegal but if i was caught with a line of coke the impact on me and my job would be zero but for a footballer it is catastrophic.
    Bit liberal for an old right winger like me but punishment fitting crime etc

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I always feel a bit sorry for the guy who gets suspended if it was for social non performance enhancing stuff (Hash/Coke) as it always seems strange to me that Tony Adams / Paul Merson / Paul McGrath etc etc can drink 10 pints and be tested and be "clean" but a guy who smokes a joint or sniffs a line of Coke on a night out is banned.

I know the argument is that its illegal but if i was caught with a line of coke the impact on me and my job would be zero but for a footballer it is catastrophic.
    Bit liberal for an old right winger like me but punishment fitting crime etc
    Given the damage drugs have wrecked across many sports and the inherent unfairness to genuine sports people depending on their talent, I would have zero tolerance. If it’s on the banned list it’s off the agenda, end of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Always remember coming across a current prominent Gaa player off his face in Ibiza and thinking it wasn't a good look!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Always remember coming across a current prominent Gaa player off his face in Ibiza and thinking it wasn't a good look!
    Sure you have to be on something to play GAA 😁

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Given the damage drugs have wrecked across many sports and the inherent unfairness to genuine sports people depending on their talent, I would have zero tolerance. If it’s on the banned list it’s off the agenda, end of.
    Alcohol has wrecked more lives in Ireland than drugs, but hey, each to their own.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I have to agree, any leeway is likely to encourage more to take the risks and zero tolerance is something of a deterrant. Coke is stimulant so could be classed as sort of perfromance enhancing esspecially for making shapes on the dancefloor. Anecdotal evidence exists that weed is an antiinflamatory, and pain reliever so it could be argued that it could help. Hemp type supplements with minimal THC can still show up and it has therapeutic effects. Again every players should know they need an excemption form filled in by the club doctor as with Ventolin for asthmatics. Looking through the banned list and some seem completely daft. Aspirin is on the list for some sports due to the risck of bleeding so should be in a not a good idea category rather than on a doping list. Also how is training at altitude not considered perfromance enhancing when it causes the very same effect as blood doping/haemoglobin enriched transfusion prior to competition. But I digress - it sounds careless by the player and club rather than malicious, well I hope it was just stupidity and he doesnt get slapped with a punitive ban. He's just at the age where a 3 or 4 year ban would end his pro career before the supposed peak at 27. Sense should prevail and he does another unannounced test, if thats clean, then fine him and leave him be!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    yeah im inclined to agree with you and thus disagree with myself (schizophrenic or what)
    I'm in the borderline feeling sorry for a guy using social drugs who loses his job because he is a footballer but if he was a plumber would just carry on with life, it just seems unfair.
    But your right its a slippery slope and if its not black and white then people will drive a coach and horses through it.
    Maybe a 3-6 month ban for social (not particularly performance enhancing stuff) and long bans for Steroids or stuff where the benefit is clear.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I was of the opinion that the drug testers can't leave the persons side until a sample has been produced....so maybe the tester erred in his/her duties by allowing the player to leave, so no case to answer surely !

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    They aren't the guards in fairness, they can't detain someone. If this player wasn't going to stick around, all they could was explain the potential consequences and let him go.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Considering the extent to which LOI players are household names and role models and icons, can you imagine the reactions to a positive test for either PEDs or recreational drugs.

"Who?"

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Considering the extent to which LOI players are household names and role models and icons, can you imagine the reactions to a positive test for either PEDs or recreational drugs.

"Who?"
    . It's funny cos it's true.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    yeah im inclined to agree with you and thus disagree with myself (schizophrenic or what)
    I'm in the borderline feeling sorry for a guy using social drugs who loses his job because he is a footballer but if he was a plumber would just carry on with life, it just seems unfair.
    But your right its a slippery slope and if its not black and white then people will drive a coach and horses through it.
    Maybe a 3-6 month ban for social (not particularly performance enhancing stuff) and long bans for Steroids or stuff where the benefit is clear.
    Personally wouldn't disagree with your view on use of recreational drugs (not performance enhancing) but there is already slippage around 'necessary medication' and some other sports (blood pressure tablets, heart stimulants, beta blockers etc).
    Unfortunately, the best (only) option is, if its on the banned list steer clear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brusher View Post
    I was of the opinion that the drug testers can't leave the persons side until a sample has been produced....so maybe the tester erred in his/her duties by allowing the player to leave, so no case to answer surely !
    My understanding is that the athlete (in this case footballer) is solely responsible for ensuring the test is completed correctly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Personally wouldn't disagree with your view on use of recreational drugs (not performance enhancing) but there is already slippage around 'necessary medication' and some other sports (blood pressure tablets, heart stimulants, beta blockers etc).
    Unfortunately, the best (only) option is, if its on the banned list steer clear.
    Darts and snooker are filthy sports for the abuse of exemptions - who knew that dart and snooker players had disporportionate cardica arrythmias and need beta blockers!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Well finally there is an explanation for why this player was never on the teamsheet nor reported injured.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12