Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LOI Premier division player faces drugs ban.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts

LOI Premier division player faces drugs ban.

Today's indo says an established Premier division player is looking at a ban for not providing sufficient urine for a test before leaving the ground.

Is it the hash smoking Bohs or the junkies in inchicore??

Could be anyone (heaven forbid its a Hoop ) as it is some individual Muppet that must be short of a brain...,

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-38181920.html

Standard procedure dictates that a test should be divided into a Sample A and a Sample B.

In this instance, it's believed that the sample was not large enough for a split - which prevented an effective test being carried out.

The player left the ground without providing the sufficient amount and both his representatives and the testers have made submissions on the circumstances around the details of that.
    Can't understand why he wouldn't just wait around drinking water.

I wonder did he provide enough for one sample to be tested, and if so was it tested and what were the results.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Today's indo says an established Premier division player is looking at a ban for not providing sufficient urine for a test before leaving the ground.

Is it the hash smoking Bohs or the junkies in inchicore??

Could be anyone (heaven forbid its a Hoop ) as it is some individual Muppet that must be short of a brain...,
    Ex Rovers player.
    MD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtndvn View Post
    Ex Rovers player.

Well if its Pats that covers 50% of their players
    Good few ex hoops scattered around the league...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Thumbs up

nailed it.
    MD

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtndvn View Post
    nailed it.
    Bad publicity for the league, whoever it is. Will likely get more coverage in the Indo than any on -field LOI story.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    533 Posts
    they should just test the A sample, see what the results are and if it's clean, then there's no issue.

The B sample is only required when the A sample is a positive. So, if there's an issue - the player can waive his right to appeal.

Considering he gave a sample, I'd guess 99% there's no issue, more that it was some form of administrative issue. I've heard plenty of stories of players waiting around till 3am/4am to give samples...

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Well if its Pats that covers 50% of their players
    Good few ex hoops scattered around the league...
    Rumour I saw is that it's a former Rovers player, now with Pats, who hasn't played in a while. If that's true it's not too hard to work out who it is. Haven't seen any suggestion that there was a positive test, more of a technical issue in that he didn't provide enough of a sample. Hardly crime of the century really.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Made 7 or 8 apppearances for Pats this season? Seems a bit harsh if a smaple was given but just not enough probably for a second sample. He should know the rules but its taking the p1ss when players are dehydrated after a game. Testers could turn up to prior to training or something as it would make no difference to any trace of drugs and would be a simpler eh process

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    but its taking the p1ss when players are dehydrated after a game.
    I thought it was not taking the **** that was the issue

12. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    UEFA can be very strict on enforcing drugs testing rules though. Look at Rio Ferdinand getting a six month ban for genuinely forgetting about a test. (It doesn't matter whether you believe him or not; I think the argument in the end was that it didn't matter). They seem very keen to keep the image of integrity about drugs testing. And understandably too. I'd say a ban could be on the way anyway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    UEFA can be very strict on enforcing drugs testing rules though. Look at Rio Ferdinand getting a six month ban for genuinely forgetting about a test. (It doesn't matter whether you believe him or not; I think the argument in the end was that it didn't matter). They seem very keen to keep the image of integrity about drugs testing. And understandably too. I'd say a ban could be on the way anyway
    Possibly, but I think there is a difference between totally missing a test, where the suspicion will automatically be that he "forgot" on purpose, and providing a test, but just not in sufficient quantity. As someone else said, I don't know why they just don't test the A sample anyway. Yes, he should have stayed around, but I think anything more than a slap on the hand would be harsh, unless there's more to it than we know.

15. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    they should just test the A sample, see what the results are and if it's clean, then there's no issue.

The B sample is only required when the A sample is a positive. So, if there's an issue - the player can waive his right to appeal.

Considering he gave a sample, I'd guess 99% there's no issue, more that it was some form of administrative issue. I've heard plenty of stories of players waiting around till 3am/4am to give samples...
    The whole point of requiring minimum volumes for two samples is that "1%", it's unclear from the article today whether the sample that was obtained was tested or if it was clean or not, as far as I know if both samples are not obtained then the test is void.

If it's not enforced then you have open season of cheating players doing what this established player did deliberately not providing a full sample and then claiming their cheating cannot be proven without a sample B
    Last edited by total hoofball; 05/06/2019 at 9:30 PM.
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    A Peterborough player got banned recently by the FA for 4 years. He evaded a drugs test when testers randomly called to his house for a sample and he was off his head on coke the days previously so knew he was going to fail and he wrongly thought he would only get banned for 3 months for evading. The evasion aspect added significantly to his ban, even with a clean subsequent result evasion will be treated very harshly and rightly so in my book
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Possibly, but I think there is a difference between totally missing a test, where the suspicion will automatically be that he "forgot" on purpose, and providing a test, but just not in sufficient quantity. As someone else said, I don't know why they just don't test the A sample anyway. Yes, he should have stayed around, but I think anything more than a slap on the hand would be harsh, unless there's more to it than we know.
    There's a difference, for sure. And I think a similar punishment would be very harsh based on what we know. I don't know what the instance of false positives is, for example - how important is the second sample for proving the result of the first one? If there's any prospect of false positives, then UEFA have to clamp down on it unfortunately

Edit - total hoofball said it better than me two posts up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    I thought “B” sample was only used (and therefore required) if sample “A” proved positive ? Effectively a defence for a player IF “A” proved positive (or contaminated) ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    If the guy left without providing a proper sample he may not be guilty of taking drugs but he is sure as he'll guilty of being a feckin eejit.

Dalymountthrower is 100 % fight the media will blow this up into a big story

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    The efforts to make sure there are no false positives means there are a lot of false negatives so tbh its a better option to chance a test if there is some dodgy conduct than ensure a ban by skipping off. There are stats that up to 50% of athletes tested could be false negatives (5 out of 11 I read somewhere in the past). The margin of error on false positives is aimed at about .01% so hence such care not to faslely accuse an individual means that false negatives are more common than we'd like to think The labs have to test for specific performance enhancing compounds or illegal drugs and there is a chance that they may not test for the specific trace of a drug like Its unlikely that they would test for say LSD or heroin as an extreme example so a false negative could happen. There is still a question mark over positive nandralone results due to the naturally forming hormone. Its when the the concentration levels are significantly elevated that alarm bells ring. But each indicidual is different so what is within the norms for one my not be the norm for another - wasnt there an English boxer who successfully challanged this. Ironically heavy training load can elevate nandralone.
    One English club is under the microscope for the incredible level of intensity the play at for a full games in a heavy schedule and their players are tested more than at other clubs and are managed by a chap who previously had his teams in Germany scrutinised closely for the same reason also but nothing showed up in the players tests. At one stage blood tests were requested but permission was denied. The strength and conditioning and dietry people were at both clubs and I feel it is their expertise that has a team super fit rather than a Michele Ferrari or Chechini.
    The half life of a substance in urine is a lot less than blood products, and its the only method to test accurately but its a bit extreme to request athletes give blood samples. The tech of testing is always playing catchup with performance enhancment developments.
    Anyways at least it wasnt 2 sample of pure whiskey given, or someone nicking the smaples out of a lab. I doubt the resources are in LoI to have a serious problem with undetectable substances either. It's generally going to be players that were having a good time in a nightclub or lack of knowledge on the like of jack3d being added to a banned list eg. Though thats no defence when every players should only take anything via the club doctors instructions.

Its this website I read about the stats but cant find the specific article.
    https://sportsscientists.com/sitemap/
    Last edited by Nesta99; 06/06/2019 at 12:39 AM.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    If the guy left without providing a proper sample he may not be guilty of taking drugs but he is sure as he'll guilty of being a feckin eejit.

Dalymountthrower is 100 % fight the media will blow this up into a big story
    Given the history of evasion across many sports, failure to provide a proper sample is usually treated as a failed sample. Unfortunate if a genuine mistake but likely to have serious consequences.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I don't really understand how the player in question didn't just drink water until he was ready to produce enough sample. Was he told by the club or tester he'd done enough? Did he just decide himself he wasn't arsed hanging around? Even assuming he had nothing to hide it looks like the player or club were at best willfully negligent.

26. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast