Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Your Favourite LOI Slight

  1. #1
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    77
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    15
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    8
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

    Your Favourite LOI Slight





    With the RTE Promo during the week, and since we're a well-renowned bunch of hyper sensitive bitter auld sods, what's you're LOI slight down through the years?

    To get the ball rolling, I'll go with the Eamonn Dunphy chicken league.

  2. #2
    Seasoned Pro NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Gouldavoher
    Posts
    4,073
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    222
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    574
    Thanked in
    391 Posts
    As in slights against the LOI?

    A certain ex manager of the national team I've sworn to never name again springs to mind: "Ireland has no league" was among the excuses.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

  3. #3
    International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Killashee Longford
    Posts
    7,992
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,999
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    534
    Thanked in
    449 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    As in slights against the LOI?

    A certain ex manager of the national team I've sworn to never name again springs to mind: "Ireland has no league" was among the excuses.
    ah mr GT!!
    Daire Doyles red and black army

  4. #4
    Seasoned Pro Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,567
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    865
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    701
    Thanked in
    465 Posts
    Who can look past the ironic 'problem child' comment!!!

  5. #5
    Seasoned Pro marinobohs's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in the bar celebratingl
    Posts
    3,441
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    345
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    605
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Dunphy again involved - the whole “Dublin Dons” debacle. Still cringe worthy

  6. #6
    First Team ToberonaTornado's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2016
    Location
    Faughart,Dundalk.
    Posts
    1,133
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    72
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    206
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    2007 Drogheda Utd,when they won the league put a huge advertising hoarding poster up in Dundalk celebrating it.Dundalk were in the 1st division at the time.
    Same poster was ripped to shreds within a couple of hours of it appearing on the ad site in Dublin street(?)Some hit by drogs at the time in fairness.Must have cost them a fortune to do it.
    Drogs went into receivership the following season!

  7. #7
    Seasoned Pro Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,567
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    865
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    701
    Thanked in
    465 Posts
    I dont recall it being ripped down as much as taken down by the advertisement company days later as Drogheda claimed it was an error lol. It cost them 40k...

  8. #8
    First Team ToberonaTornado's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2016
    Location
    Faughart,Dundalk.
    Posts
    1,133
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    72
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    206
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I dont recall it being ripped down as much as taken down by the advertisement company days later as Drogheda claimed it was an error lol. It cost them 40k...
    Memory of it is a bit hazy but you're right,it was taken down after a few days with Drogheda saying it was all a bad mistake and them laughing the heads of themselves.

    Was it 6/7 years ago(?) some person/s hopped into United Park middle of the night and sprayed loads of pro Dundalk FC graffiti on all the stand walls a few days prior to a derby match lol.Good times.

  9. #9
    Reserves blueblood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    Location
    co limerick
    Posts
    405
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    15
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    I'm here listening to people singing rebel songs but they're all Liverpool fans but my 12 year old son came in giving out about English teams and they are all shocked lolx

  10. #10
    Reserves redarmyfaction's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sligo.
    Posts
    598
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    116
    Thanked in
    75 Posts
    Apart from his vainglory the most dislikable about Dunphy and hey what's to like is the calumny he has heaped upon the league in his spiteful epoch at that vile and filthy rag that I would not light the fire with.

    He was always bitter about the failure of Ray Traceys experiment at Dale Farm, when all they had to show for it was when they cheated their way in the notorious Carpenter final. BTW the great man had zero impact on that game, he was too intimidated by a Tony Fagan in his pomp that he spent the game begging Giles for help "Johnny, Johnny he's after me". Cowardly rat like all slum snobs.

  11. #11
    Reserves
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    843
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    31
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    160
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    RTE promo is the most offensive.

  12. #12
    Formerly: londonred dublinred's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Fingal
    Posts
    1,014
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    20
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohs11 View Post




    With the RTE Promo during the week, and since we're a well-renowned bunch of hyper sensitive bitter auld sods, what's you're LOI slight down through the years?

    To get the ball rolling, I'll go with the Eamonn Dunphy chicken league.
    Heard Dunphy was decked by Dermot Keely at that seasons awards cermony over this article.
    63.00

  13. #13
    Reserves Calcio Jack's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    723
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    55
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Mine is from May 1971- as a small boy sitting on the bus with my elders returning from a packed Dayler after Rovers went down 3-1 to Cork Hibs in the league playoff final on account of a disgraceful ref who disallowed a Leech goal to put back into the game at 2-2.

    On the bus was a gang of teenage Cork girls singing in their culchie accents “.... Hail hail the Hibs are who the hell are Rovers...” ad naiseum.

    For a sheltered small boy from D4 it was a shocking vista the memory of which I still shudder at to this day- albeit as I grew up I did come to understand how blessed I am to be a Rovers devotee from D4 and have learned to have a modicum of compassion for those less fortunate from Cork, Northside and all the other even lessor locations where LOI exists.

    I guess as the song says “ the first cut is the deepest”

  14. Thanks From:


  15. #14
    Capped Player OwlsFan's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Posts
    10,136
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    798
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,272
    Thanked in
    714 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Mine is from May 1971- as a small boy sitting on the bus with my elders returning from a packed Dayler after Rovers went down 3-1 to Cork Hibs in the league playoff final on account of a disgraceful ref who disallowed a Leech goal to put back into the game at 2-2.

    On the bus was a gang of teenage Cork girls singing in their culchie accents “.... Hail hail the Hibs are who the hell are Rovers...” ad naiseum.

    For a sheltered small boy from D4 it was a shocking vista the memory of which I still shudder at to this day- albeit as I grew up I did come to understand how blessed I am to be a Rovers devotee from D4 and have learned to have a modicum of compassion for those less fortunate from Cork, Northside and all the other even lessor locations where LOI exists.

    I guess as the song says “ the first cut is the deepest”
    I was at that game. Had to wait over a decade to win the title. Unfortunately, this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU4Bxhqs95U doesn't show the disallowed goal. Only consolation, where are Hibs now ?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

  16. #15
    Seasoned Pro marinobohs's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in the bar celebratingl
    Posts
    3,441
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    345
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    605
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I was at that game. Had to wait over a decade to win the title. Unfortunately, this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU4Bxhqs95U doesn't show the disallowed goal. Only consolation, where are Hibs now ?
    They went bankrupt. So did Cork Hibs 😁

Similar Threads

  1. Favourite/least favourite Irish accents
    By brianw82 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 16/09/2010, 11:56 AM
  2. Favourite/Least Favourite other club in league
    By shep in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05/09/2008, 5:07 PM
  3. Favourite and least favourite opposition manager?
    By sligoman in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 10/08/2005, 12:47 PM
  4. Chelsea fans (slight reprise)
    By Duncan Gardner in forum World League Football
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10/03/2005, 10:34 AM
  5. Favourite/Least Favourite away trip?
    By Bosco in forum Longford Town
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26/01/2004, 11:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •