Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: SSE Airtriicty League 17th/18th/20th/21st May

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    I am afraid that by the time the season is coming to a close the interesting battle will be for third /fourth place
    Jaysus Lads, 8 points isn't insurmountable! Plus you've a guaranteed 6 against us

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    The penalty count for Dundalk might not be as much of an anomaly as it seems. With 2 pacey wingers in Duffy and Kelly, fullbacks and at least one midfielder driving in to an opponents box consistantly the chances of mistimed tackle or quick footwork in/at the box are high. Add in the physically robust type of player that Hoban is then defenders have to get physical to manage and a decision eventually will go with the striker if there are 50/50 decisions.
    I'm fairly confident if I went through the crisp packet thread I could find 80% of posts by Dundalk fans were them complaining that the exact same thing couldn't have possibly been true about Maguire, Sheppard and Dooley.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Just on the pens Dundalk have been awarded, I’d agree with John Gills post match summary, all were correct decisions, bar the one away to Bohs. I’d also say one more wasn’t given that should have been, when Gannon was taken down away to Rovers, then again Rovers should have got one also with the handball by Hoare in the same game.

In both home games v Bohs this season, pens were awarded after decent attacking moves well into injury time, and on theses occasions the ball was kept on the deck and to go wide as most opportunities. These are the rewards you get when you keep going. In saying that we didn’t deserve to beat Bohs in April, but we absolutely did last night.
    Breaking News DFC "Manager" and supporters think 90% of decisions were right on penos and feel they should have had more.
    In other news the Pope said he thought the bible was just about Gospel and Rovers fans feel that we are the biggest club in Ireland

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Complain? Of course, isnt that true of all football fans! Specifically and it could have been yerself EP there was comment or debate on Maguire 'manufacturing' penalties, and example of a relatively new skill that isnt diving - its leaving a trailing foot and the like to create contact and 'win' a penalty. Sheppard in the Cup Final, for example, cutely waited for contact from Hoare and went over and the penalty was given. Hoare should have been more aware especially as Shep was heading away from goal and was waiting for any contact. As Ive said I dont think it was one of Kenny's finer moments in trying to play mind games. Im not excluding Dundalk from the same type of gamesmanship. I am suggesting that if a team is relentlessly attacking in to the box there is likely to be a higher number of penalties awarded than a team that sits deep and maybe hits on the break - this could probably result in a higher number of professional fouls to stop a break. It seems that Bohs fans have resigned themselves to there being at least 2 refs that are biased toward Dundalk. One poor decision has set that tone and not so much the sending off and Long needing a Sheperds hook for another player that is just on the pitch. There was also scorn poured on Rovers fans ascertations that poor referring sealed the result of the last Dublin Derby. Not lastnight, but there is usually a grey area of debate on refereeing in the league and that it is inconsistant, fans dont have much faith, some refs like to be in the spotlight et al and we have all been on the recieving end of the most confusing decisions. Claiming refs have favourite clubs so far this season is highly unlikely!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    I'm fairly confident if I went through the crisp packet thread I could find 80% of posts by Dundalk fans were them complaining that the exact same thing couldn't have possibly been true about Maguire, Sheppard and Dooley.
    Slightly different style with those two wingers, and Shep was made into one, but one thing not up for argument, that was some front 3 that Cork had in 2017. Maguire obviously, but Dooley was an almost constant nuisance against Dundalk, caused us problems in most games, he was a big loss for Cork when he moved on. He did go to Coleraine, but I forgot he went over to Rochdale, hasn't seem to have featured there, is he injured I wonder ?
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Steven Beattie went-a-fishing last night. Plenty of bites too.

https://twitter.com/steven5beattie/s...230678017?s=19

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    I know it's said a lot that Dundalk apply a lot of pressure, have tricky wingers and a physical striker so they get a lot of penalties because that's a dangerous combination but even when you look at the likes of 2008 Man United, Real Madrid the last decade or so and Barcelona all of them would have been similar combinations of players style wise to Dundalk (Barcelona minus the physical centre forward for the most part) and dominant teams and their league penalty counts were rarely above 10 over a whole season so for Dundalk to have 10 half way through a season is a serious anomaly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Crucial to get the three points. I thought we played ok in patches but the last half hour we disintegrated and if Derry had a decent striker we would have been punished.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    Crucial to get the three points. I thought we played ok in patches but the last half hour we disintegrated and if Derry had a decent striker we would have been punished.
    Yeah, important 3 points, but Derry will feel hard done by, wth some justification. Hit the post late on. We really don't look a good side at all.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Derrys lack of a goalscorer has them 1 win in 8,Friday will be interesting should be a spicy affair!!
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    You Pats fans make the Rovers support look patient.
    You are one point off a probable euro place and 4 off 3rd place,
    You have taken 5 points off the two teams around you in your last 3 matches.
    I'm starting to feel sorry for Harry.
    Hes had 18 matches to stitch a complete new team together.
    Total football will follow , keep the faith

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Shoot - go for it!

Maybe you could post up the results in a nice pie chart

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    He receives very little stick at home game most of the criticism is kept online. The grade of football dished up has been largely rubbish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    I've said it previously that normally I would agree with this sentiment and have acted as much, but this is a particularly special circumstance.

We just look absolutely clueless even in games that we've won. Tonight is a case in point where if I was a neutral I'd actually feel sorry for Derry, it legitimately should have been 3/4-1. We created a solitary chance all game, scored from it and then stuck 11 behind the ball at home and hoped for the best.

I'd have more time for Kenny if there was an obviously identity or style forming but it's obvious that he's been completely winging it since the start of the season. We played all pre-season with a 4-3-3, then after injuries dictated we played 3/5 at the back in the first game of the season he just abandoned all his previous work and stuck with it, even though it's clear we don't have the personnel for it to the point it restricts us every week. It's honestly unfair the expectations that are being put on Bermo and Madden, and for all his talk of believing in playing "an attractive brand of football" it's becoming more and more obvious that he doesn't know how to implement it, so we've now been reduced to hoping we can nick something off a set piece and then lump it up to Gary Shaw for the rest of the game. For the squad we have it's a bit depressing to be honest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Got a bit fortunate tonight the Derry player had cotton bud up his nose after a challenge and for some bizarre reason was ordered by the ref to change the dressing before a corner and his marker Toner just headed it unmarked into the net , I’ll take it though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    You Placid in disguise?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    First of all, we are a very patient fan base, always have been, some would say too much at times.
    Totally get how it looks from the outside when we give out, but its very different when you watch us week in week out. Time and time again, we look clueless, and its not just about wanting sexy bucko ball, not at all.
    We have absolutely poxed results, all starting with week one against Cork.
    Kenny is not developing anything there is nothing improving.
    I wont last too long, but sadly long enough to waste a decent squad/budget.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    What is the story with Forrester? He appears to be only playing in bits of games. He should be tearing the league up.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    You imply Rovers are impatient.

Apart from the 'enough is enough' banner (while conceding 5 goals at home) and the occasional whinge here by Rovers fans, I think there has been a very passive reaction to lack of achievement over the last few years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    What is the story with Forrester? He appears to be only playing in bits of games. He should be tearing the league up.
    I don’t think he is capable of tearing up a pack of tayto this season. It’s looking like we are going to have to wait long term for his signing to bear fruit.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast