Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Jason Knight (M Bristol City b.2001)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Yep exactly Nixon, reasonably credible but still the sun. Bremen also linked to a sheff United player (apparently bid submitted) and already have bought (is signed for free…) Buchanan from derby already. So they’re certainly in the English market and have to know of Knight
    Last edited by tommy_c12000; 10/07/2022 at 3:52 PM.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    He’s had 2 full seasons as a starter at Championship level, what will he learn doing the same thing for a 2nd season? Ummm there is a huge advantage, he trains against better players every day, constantly being challenged meaning he’ll pushed to improve, plays against better players at the weekend, play in squad with greater depth meaning he won’t be totally flogged by the end of the season. If he was English he would without question be pushing for a PL move because he knows it’s what he needs to take his game to the next level but we in Ireland have a culture of conservatism and taking the safe bet which usually doesn’t work yet we still do it.

You’re argument about not goi g to the premier league is the mentality of a player that will go nowhere, hopefully Knight had abit more ambition with his career.

playing for a top 6 championship team will be a lot different to slugging it out with derby. hes still young minutes are important for him. i cant imagine him getting many minutes on the pitch if he moved to PL. doesnt stand out that much to say he'd be able for it right now.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,631 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    playing for a top 6 championship team will be a lot different to slugging it out with derby. hes still young minutes are important for him. i cant imagine him getting many minutes on the pitch if he moved to PL. doesnt stand out that much to say he'd be able for it right now.
    Minutes are important for him but not so much for Kelleher?

6. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    It won’t be a lot different, as he’s playing against the same teams every week and training with players who won’t be that much better a standard. He’s got enough minutes, it’s time for our players stop being so Irish and actually challenge themselves for a change. That’s the point, you are judging him off of playing for a struggling Derby side at the end of a long season when he’s been flogged, it’s a different story when he plays for a premiership team that will have more resources and won’t need to flog him. This is the point that’s lost on people on here, he needs to fight for his position on the weekend, that is what’s the making of a future top player, if that’s his aim and that’s what we want him to be he should go the the premiership and fight for his position on the weekend, that’s what will lead to him being a better player, not wasting another season slogging it out in the championship with a sideways move.

He doesn’t stand out much because he was playing in a mess of a derby team, I still don’t get how that is lost on people…

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,225 Posts
    It wasn't that much of a mess of a Derby team - on the pitch they were lower mid-table (17th) and it was the points deduction that got them relegated.

Burnley would be an interesting move cos it's not really clear yet if they'll be challenging at the top (as relegated teams often are). If they are, and if they get promoted, then it could be a good move. But if the finances are as bad as it seems they might be, then they could end up in mid-table or even getting a second relegation and that's a different matter.

I'm not yet sure who the Premier Division teams you think Knight could sign for are though.

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    It won’t be a lot different, as he’s playing against the same teams every week and training with players who won’t be that much better a standard. He’s got enough minutes, it’s time for our players stop being so Irish and actually challenge themselves for a change. That’s the point, you are judging him off of playing for a struggling Derby side at the end of a long season when he’s been flogged, it’s a different story when he plays for a premiership team that will have more resources and won’t need to flog him. This is the point that’s lost on people on here, he needs to fight for his position on the weekend, that is what’s the making of a future top player, if that’s his aim and that’s what we want him to be he should go the the premiership and fight for his position on the weekend, that’s what will lead to him being a better player, not wasting another season slogging it out in the championship with a sideways move.

He doesn’t stand out much because he was playing in a mess of a derby team, I still don’t get how that is lost on people…
    I think playing for a side expected & setting up to win most weeks is more different from playing in a side aiming not to lose / survive in a division than you suggest. Better sides have the football more, for a start & that does alter things, believe it or not. You then go on to say Derby was a mess of a team, so umm, which is it ?

Would you equate lining out for Harps each week with lining out for Rovers ?

And these top table moves he's being accused of turning his nose up at, which ones are they ? Do they actually exist ? Is he supposed to somehow make a club in that division buy him if none exist & how ? Before you start piling in on him for not choosing non existing options, maybe some consideration of that.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

11. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    I think playing for a side expected & setting up to win most weeks is more different from playing in a side aiming not to lose / survive in a division than you suggest. Better sides have the football more, for a start & that does alter things, believe it or not. You then go on to say Derby was a mess of a team, so umm, which is it ?

Would you equate lining out for Harps each week with lining out for Rovers ?

And these top table moves he's being accused of turning his nose up at, which ones are they ? Do they actually exist ? Is he supposed to somehow make a club in that division buy him if none exist & how ? Before you start piling in on him for not choosing non existing options, maybe some consideration of that.
    You looking far too much into what is one minor difference, the fact of the matter is his situation won’t be much better at a new championship club as like at Derby he will be training with and playing against championship players every day & every week, if Knight wants to progress to the next level he should be backing himself to step up to the next level, if knight just wants to be another Jeff Hendrick and be a bang average premiership player or top half championship player at best then he should move to a championship club

I’m still in disbelief how anyone here thinks moving to another championship club is a good move.
    Last edited by CSAD; 11/07/2022 at 7:52 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    It wasn't that much of a mess of a Derby team - on the pitch they were lower mid-table (17th) and it was the points deduction that got them relegated.

Burnley would be an interesting move cos it's not really clear yet if they'll be challenging at the top (as relegated teams often are). If they are, and if they get promoted, then it could be a good move. But if the finances are as bad as it seems they might be, then they could end up in mid-table or even getting a second relegation and that's a different matter.

I'm not yet sure who the Premier Division teams you think Knight could sign for are though.
    Simple question, where did Derby finish?

But simple question, what if they aren’t? What if this supposedly great move ends up being a complete sideways move and he’s in no better a position than he was the last 2 years? He’ll have made no progress and will show up just how stupid a move it was.

He’s been linked to Wolves and Leeds recently, if he moves there the worst that happens is he’s a bench option but atleast then he’s in a new challenging environment that will ask questions of him and it will help build character, and of course it could work out and then it looks like a genius move.

Either way I can’t see the argument as to how a move to another championship team is a good decision, the reasons given just reek of the typical Irish mentality, safety first and run away from any challenge, If Knight wants to be a top player he needs to back himself to make it in the PL even if it means sitting on a bench every now and then.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,225 Posts
    Simple question, where did Derby finish?
    Do you think the 21 points deduction was Knight's fault? Derby weren't a mess on the pitch, so to liken Knight at Derby to, say, Connell at Bolton makes no sense.

"He's been linked to..." isn't worth the paper it was written on in transfer season. To suggest that no PL side came in with an offer is "the typical Irish mentality, safety first and run away from any challenge" is nonsense. If anything, I'd suggest you're suffering from a common foot.ie habit of over-estimating our own players just because of where they're from.

It'd be great to see him jump to the Premier League for sure, but I think you're trying to magic up a move that doesn't exist.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 11/07/2022 at 8:40 AM.

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Do you think the 21 points deduction was Knight's fault? Derby weren't a mess on the pitch, so to liken Knight at Derby to, say, Connell at Bolton makes no sense.

"He's been linked to..." isn't worth the paper it was written on in transfer season. To suggest that no PL side came in with an offer is "the typical Irish mentality, safety first and run away from any challenge" is nonsense. If anything, I'd suggest you're suffering from a common foot.ie habit of over-estimating our own players just because of where they're from.

It'd be great to see him jump to the Premier League for sure, but I think you're trying to magic up a move that doesn't exist.

I think he probably will get a premier league move
    If, as reported Derby are looking for relatively serious lolly, then that actually rules Burnley out? ( who are broke out)
    He is 21, he's an established international
    Championship club captain and his attitude by all reports in beyond excellent.
    Fulham? Leeds?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    they might not get serious cash for him, the vast majority of moves in England so far this summer have been free transfers
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rs_summer_2022
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

18. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    they might not get serious cash for him, the vast majority of moves in England so far this summer have been free transfers
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rs_summer_2022
    But they would accept the extra cash a premier league team is in a position to offer, even if that premier team is getting a good deal

He isn't staying in League one. he is too good for the league and Derby have bought players in for midfield cover

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    I'm not arguing his talent, he's clearly too good for League One, just pointing out that most transfers this summer have not involved fees, so there's not that much money going around.
    Also, it's rare that a player relegated from the Championship gets a transfer to a Premier League club.
    If I had to guess where he will be playing before the transfer window closes at the end of August, one of the teams that finished in or around the play offs last season, Middlesbrough, Luton, QPR, etc, or one of the relegated sides looking to bounce straight back up to the Premier League. If I had to pick a Premier League side, maybe Leeds, with the cash from the Philips transfer to Man City.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    leeds bought aransonn though so id be surprised if they came in for knight.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    It’s like the Chris McCann and Owen Garvan threads had a baby…..

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    How much is his value with a year left on his contract 2m or 3m?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Due to being in the final year of his contract, I'd expect Knight to move this summer - probably to a championship club. But it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he stays to see out his contract at Derby, who are recruiting well and are amongst the favourites for promotion.

Realistically, I don't see many PL clubs coming in for a player like Jason Knight. Maybe Leeds, who do sign players from lesser leagues, or Southampton, but I find this unlikely.

A move to one of the relegated PL sides, like Burnley, seems to be his most likely destination, which would be fine by me.

Burnley are amongst the favourites for promotion, have made some good signings - with Josh Cullen reportedly close to joining - and, importantly, can afford the fee that's been mooted, in a way that perhaps the likes of Luton might not.

Whilst unexciting, I think most grounded, sensible Ireland supporters would view this kind of move as a decent and progressive choice for Knight.

25. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

So you don’t think a team with a 21 points deduction is a team in a mess? Surely that’s case and point?

Wait so we are jumping in the Burnley rumours but discarding all the Premiership rumours? There’s been about as much of a link to the premiership if not more than the championship.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I'm not arguing his talent, he's clearly too good for League One, just pointing out that most transfers this summer have not involved fees, so there's not that much money going around.
    Also, it's rare that a player relegated from the Championship gets a transfer to a Premier League club.
    If I had to guess where he will be playing before the transfer window closes at the end of August, one of the teams that finished in or around the play offs last season, Middlesbrough, Luton, QPR, etc, or one of the relegated sides looking to bounce straight back up to the Premier League. If I had to pick a Premier League side, maybe Leeds, with the cash from the Philips transfer to Man City.
    Well there’s no such thing a window without lots of money spent so it would be best to wait for now.

It’s rare for a team to be in as big a mess as Derby were in so it’s an exception to the rule.

If Knight moves to the championship it will be a last minute desperate move if knights desperately trying to escape L1.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    leeds bought aransonn though so id be surprised if they came in for knight.

Teams can sign more than one player in a transfer window so it’s possible.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast