Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Jason Knight (M Bristol City b.2001)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Due to being in the final year of his contract, I'd expect Knight to move this summer - probably to a championship club. But it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he stays to see out his contract at Derby, who are recruiting well and are amongst the favourites for promotion.

Realistically, I don't see many PL clubs coming in for a player like Jason Knight. Maybe Leeds, who do sign players from lesser leagues, or Southampton, but I find this unlikely.

A move to one of the relegated PL sides, like Burnley, seems to be his most likely destination, which would be fine by me.

Burnley are amongst the favourites for promotion, have made some good signings - with Josh Cullen reportedly close to joining - and, importantly, can afford the fee that's been mooted, in a way that perhaps the likes of Luton might not.

Whilst unexciting, I think most grounded, sensible Ireland supporters would view this kind of move as a decent and progressive choice for Knight.
    No it’s the most safe move which is what Irish players that usually never fulfill their potential make, hopefully Knight has more ambition for his career than many on here have for him.
    It’s in no way progressive, gone from playing 100 games for a championship team to playing for another championship team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    Teams can sign more than one player in a transfer window so it’s possible.
    very interesting i didnt know that. knight wont see enough minutes on the pitch with leeds current signings, hope this helps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    No it’s the most safe move which is what Irish players that usually never fulfill their potential make, hopefully Knight has more ambition for his career than many on here have for him.
    It’s in no way progressive, gone from playing 100 games for a championship team to playing for another championship team.
    players will go where they'll either get the best deal or where they'll play. knight has plenty of hime to make money, playing 3000+ mins again this season should be his goal. whether that be at a promotion chasing championship side or at a newly promoted bundesliga side. its clearly been drilled home to them on international duty that they need to get minutes and its easy to see why.

4. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    very interesting i didnt know that. knight wont see enough minutes on the pitch with leeds current signings, hope this helps.
    And this is based on? Have you watched Aaronson regularly or their other midfielders regularly. You know what’s great about that? It gives Knight competition which will lead to him needing to up his game which is just what Ireland and his new club will want from him.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    players will go where they'll either get the best deal or where they'll play. knight has plenty of hime to make money, playing 3000+ mins again this season should be his goal. whether that be at a promotion chasing championship side or at a newly promoted bundesliga side. its clearly been drilled home to them on international duty that they need to get minutes and its easy to see why.
    The odds are he’ll get a better deal at a premiership club and he’ll be given a chance to impress at the majority of clubs he’s been linked to.

So his goal should be do what he did last season? That isn’t stepping up to the next level that’s just stagnating, which is what most of our players who don’t fulfill their potential do before going downhill.

His aim needs to be to take the next step in his career and that is go from championship to a top 5 league weather that be the Bundesliga or PL and fight for his position on the weekend, if you can’t fight you won’t know what you’re truly capable of and will eventually start going backwards.

You need minutes but that doesn’t mean deliberately pick a lesser club just because you’re odds of playing are higher, someone like Kilkenny has made the smart move as he’ll
    play now, whereas you then get someone like Hourihane who should be cut now for taking the safe option. Someone like Knight should be backing himself to taking the next step in his career which is a top 5 league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    The odds are he’ll get a better deal at a premiership club and he’ll be given a chance to impress at the majority of clubs he’s been linked to.

So his goal should be do what he did last season? That isn’t stepping up to the next level that’s just stagnating, which is what most of our players who don’t fulfill their potential do before going downhill.

His aim needs to be to take the next step in his career and that is go from championship to a top 5 league weather that be the Bundesliga or PL and fight for his position on the weekend, if you can’t fight you won’t know what you’re truly capable of and will eventually start going backwards.

You need minutes but that doesn’t mean deliberately pick a lesser club just because you’re odds of playing are higher, someone like Kilkenny has made the smart move as he’ll
    play now, whereas you then get someone like Hourihane who should be cut now for taking the safe option. Someone like Knight should be backing himself to taking the next step in his career which is a top 5 league.

hes not stagnating or choosing a safe move by signing with any of the top.6 championship clubs. its an absurd thing to say.
    Hourihane has finally dropped to his level, knight will be playing to his current level by going to a top champ side.

8. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    So you don’t think a team with a 21 points deduction is a team in a mess? Surely that’s case and point?
    Nope, Derby as a corporate entity are in a mess. The team did enough to stay up on the pitch - albeit only by 8 points or so - and clearly aren't what you'd call a team in a mess. The Bolton team that Luca Connell played in were a team in a mess; they even scratched a game towards the end.

Your original point was that "he didn't stand out much because he was in a mess of a Derby team" - there's nothing to back that up.

The links to Burnley are a lot stronger than the links to Premier League side at the moment - albeit that for the moment they do remain rumours in silly season.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    hes not stagnating or choosing a safe move by signing with any of the top.6 championship clubs. its an absurd thing to say.
    Hourihane has finally dropped to his level, knight will be playing to his current level by going to a top champ side.
    He is stagnating, he’s playing against the same teams and training with the same type of players albeit maybe if a slightly higher quality, it’s not a new challenge it’s just a typical safe move, I’ve seen this movie many times and know how this usually ends which is why I would like Knight to change the script and actually challenge himself.

We don’t know what his current level is because he was playing in a mess of a Derby side, anyone that is actually trying to gauge anything from him based on the end of his season with them really doesn’t have a clue about football. Irish players have a history of making bad career decisions, hopefully Knight doesn’t join the list by signing for a championship club.

11. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Nope, Derby as a corporate entity are in a mess. The team did enough to stay up on the pitch - albeit only by 8 points or so - and clearly aren't what you'd call a team in a mess. The Bolton team that Luca Connell played in were a team in a mess; they even scratched a game towards the end.

Your original point was that "he didn't stand out much because he was in a mess of a Derby team" - there's nothing to back that up.

The links to Burnley are a lot stronger than the links to Premier League side at the moment - albeit that for the moment they do remain rumours in silly season.
    They were deducted 21 points, they were a mess and claiming otherwise is being delusional.

There is plenty, they finished bottom and we’re in administration, they were in such a mess that Rooney had to join in training in pre season due to lack of players…

The links aren’t stronger, you are just choosing to believe those links as it’s a preferable move in you’re eyes, just like you choose to believe that Derby weren’t a mess.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Reading Twitter yesterday when these links started floating around Derby fans seemed to think they would want "Big Money" to sell him... but that Big money was about 5 Million!

I said a couple of pages back that I'd like to see him linked with clubs outside of England so this rumor excites me massively. I think his energy and technical ability would be perfect for the Bundesliga so I'm keeping the fingers crossed that its a real link

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    We don’t know what his current level is because he was playing in a mess of a Derby side
    So why would a Premier League club take a punt on him then? Your certainty here is bewildering. The top half could take or leave him and the bottom half probably want a player whose current level is known.

Do you think Gavin Bazunu and Troy Parrot are a couple of morons for training with League 1 players by the way?

It's marginal where Knight could end up. He might have another relegation scrap with a terrible Premier League team or a promotion push in the Championship. You're seemingly willing to write off his career if he signed for Hudderfield instead of Nottingham Forest though. I find that baffling.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    They were deducted 21 points, they were a mess and claiming otherwise is being delusional.
    Yeah, you're not even trying to engage in a debate now, so I'll leave you be.

Knight is obviously daft for turning down a move that there's no evidence exists. Or something

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Are you all talking about two different Jason Knights by any chance?

If he gets a good offer of game time with Leeds or similar it would be great but there's absolutely nothing wrong with him moving back up into the Championship, particularly if it's to a team who will be winning games. He's had enough time scrapping for points in the wrong half of the table. I'd like to see him have a breakout season in a team who is scoring goals and challenging. That'd be more use to him at this point than struggling for a place in an EPL team battling the drop. And if he got relegated again it wouldn't be great for the lad.

Not sure why a PL team would guarantee him a spot though unfortunately and not sure he's ready to earn one just yet at that level. Has promise and has proven he can slug it out in the Championship. Has played well enough, sometimes very well, for Ireland without setting the world alight and we aren't great.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Most of us are talking about that Jason Knight alright

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    He had a great game today by all accounts, MOTM for many of their forum posters. Giving it all despite playing RB and stuck in league 1, he has such a terrific attitude. With his contract expiring June 2023, I’ll be very surprised if he doesn’t secure a move away by sept 1 (day of transfer window closing). I can’t see derby being able to put an attractive enough package to get him to sign an extension, and if that becomes clear, it would be sensible for derby to pick up a few million for him rather than let him go for free next year. They should have enough firepower to get back to the championship in any case

23. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Birmingham linked with him this morning and Eustace is the new manager there. If they're the only team showing interest he'd be better off playing League One for the season and walking on a free. Probably be his best option in general and Derby will still get a few quid in compensation.

Over a 100 league appearances and could have 20 caps for his country by the time his contract expires so they'd get decent enough compensation unless he moves abroad.

25. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Not saying much for what he's thought of in England if he is still in league one end of the transfer window

I mean we all saw how great Collins has been and then he gets a move. The need to objectively asses our players is still lacking. When the subjective becomes the objective then we know how good a player really is.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    The main difference is that Collins stood out for club and country. Knight has only stood out for his country because he has been played on a different role for his club that limits his attacking contribution (and now they're playing him at right back).

Also a good centre back will always be in demand moreso than a good centre midfielder, because there aren't as many of them about.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    It helps that Collins is also a far better player.

I'm not even sure Knight has done enough for Ireland to warrant a big move and he hasn't nailed down a midfield spot at Derby so that says something.

He needs a move but I think it's less about level and more about position. If Derby are going to make him a utility player then he should go somewhere else.

29. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I think Knight has potential and I like him but it’s never been obvious to me that he’s exceptional. It’s an extreme contrast to Collins who I believe will be a Champions League level player within three years.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast