Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Sean Russell GoFundMe

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts

Sean Russell GoFundMe

Since the club is unwilling/unable to pay for the medical expenses of player Sean Russell, for injuries sustained on the field, some of the fans have set up a GoFundMe for him here: https://www.gofundme.com/sean-russell-medical-expenses All support is appreciated.

More details if interested: https://www.limerickpost.ie/2019/05/...medical-costs/

No one's holding their breath on the club paying, as quite a large amount of money is owed to various people/entities right now.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Where's the PFAI in all this?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Where's the PFAI in all this?
    Sean Russell is an amateur sadly.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    He would surely still be covered under the clubs medical insurance...they do have insurance? If not its a bigger reason for players to talk about striking than even unpaid wages!!

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Has announced his retirement.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Yeah saw it in paper today. Sad to see thats he gone. If his operation had took place as scheduled would it have made any difference to Sean?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    MOD EDIT - DELETED
    And the winner of the most crass/tasteless award for 2019 is the above
    Last edited by Real ale Madrid; 19/12/2019 at 2:39 PM.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Yeah saw it in paper today. Sad to see thats he gone. If his operation had took place as scheduled would it have made any difference to Sean?
    I asked this elsewhere, and I don't think we know for sure (we = general public) but the delay certainly can't have helped, and he mentioned the mental suffering also, which was certainly caused/exaggerated by the delay.

Maybe it's just me, but I actually think that not covering his treatment is one of the worst things O'Sullivan has done. Owners who stop spending are a part of the game (although he had no idea how or when to leave the stage) but not covering a player's injury is truly disgraceful.
    Last edited by osarusan; 19/12/2019 at 3:53 PM.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    i agree , i always felt POS was well meaning and had at the end of the day pumped millions of his own money into Limerick but for the sake of a few grand he really let himself down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    i agree , i always felt POS was well meaning and had at the end of the day pumped millions of his own money into Limerick but for the sake of a few grand he really let himself down.
    I find this all baffling from a medical insurance point of view. Running a Dundalk Summer League side we had to obviously get insurance cover for the players. For a reasonable contribution from each player the cover we got was quite good. One chap broke his ankle, he was self employed as a plumber so couldnt work. The insurance covered the operation and also paid out for loss of earnings. I know there are currently issues with insurance cover but surely Limerick had incurance that covered treatment of player injuries. If not and its a case of negligence on the club owners behalf - and by extension even the FAI (yes I knw....) as the organisation that awards club licences then the player surely has a case.
    Even as an amatuer, playing in a 'pro' league you'd also think the PFAI could do more. If a player is registered with a LoI team even on amatuer papers the PFAI should be representing these players!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I find this all baffling from a medical insurance point of view. Running a Dundalk Summer League side we had to obviously get insurance cover for the players. For a reasonable contribution from each player the cover we got was quite good. One chap broke his ankle, he was self employed as a plumber so couldnt work. The insurance covered the operation and also paid out for loss of earnings. I know there are currently issues with insurance cover but surely Limerick had incurance that covered treatment of player injuries. If not and its a case of negligence on the club owners behalf - and by extension even the FAI (yes I knw....) as the organisation that awards club licences then the player surely has a case.
    Even as an amatuer, playing in a 'pro' league you'd also think the PFAI could do more. If a player is registered with a LoI team even on amatuer papers the PFAI should be representing these players!
    Inaction of the PFAI was very disappointing, irrespective of his amateur status they should have pushed the issue. Player welfare, any player, should be the paramount concern of all involved in football. No player should be left in that predicament.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    It was an opportunity for them to really show their worth to all players, expand their remit a bit, grow membership and get some positivity for what has be an often maligned organisation in the past the seemed to exist as much to get players payed more never mind getting their members payed - werent some of those involved in the past player agents?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    I had always assumed that player insurance was one of the licencing criteria, it never occurred to me that a club wouldn't have it as a matter of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I had always assumed that player insurance was one of the licencing criteria, it never occurred to me that a club wouldn't have it as a matter of course.
    I'd have presumed that it would be one of the most basic requirements for licencing. As mentioned above, even in the local summer league player insurance was compulsory with the proof having to be submitted to the league. I suppose a policy could be cancelled but a big risk to take.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Are expenses not paid by the club first and recouped through insurance?

Would it have been the case that Limerick couldn't even afford to make the payment in the first place?

(Edit - or maybe that's just the case for smaller medical expenses, not full operations)

I think the insurance is a group policy that clubs more or less have to sign up to.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 20/12/2019 at 8:49 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I depends on the specifics of the policy though if a group policy its even more confusing again. An op costs on average of 10k per theatre hour so paying up front could be mental money. Maybe there was an excess payment that was needed. If he was seeking to go to some super clinic in Germany or the US and that's what wasnt being payed for either?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    I believe they are required to have some coverage, not sure of the criteria (perhaps covers player loss of earnings ?).Obviously in this case whatever cover was available was insufficient to deal with the problem.Very unfortunate (and wrong ) that it had to happen but would hope licencing criteria has been tightened up to ensure no repetition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    I asked this elsewhere, and I don't think we know for sure (we = general public) but the delay certainly can't have helped, and he mentioned the mental suffering also, which was certainly caused/exaggerated by the delay.

Maybe it's just me, but I actually think that not covering his treatment is one of the worst things O'Sullivan has done. Owners who stop spending are a part of the game (although he had no idea how or when to leave the stage) but not covering a player's injury is truly disgraceful.
    I heard from a parent of an underage player that O'Sullivan did this before, absolute scumbag