Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 167

Thread: New crossborder tournament: Unite the Union Champions Cup

  1. #1
    International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Limerick for now.
    Posts
    7,315
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,116
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,528
    Thanked in
    839 Posts

    New crossborder tournament: Unite the Union Champions Cup

    https://www.sseairtricityleague.ie/n...s-cup-/id-2602

    The Football Association of Ireland (FAI) and Irish Football Association (IFA) have announced the creation of a new cross-border tournament - the Unite the Union Champions Cup.

    Sponsored by the trade union Unite, the competition will see the SSE Airtricity League Champions play the winners of the Danske Bank Premiership in a two-legged final.

    The first edition of the competition will take place in November 2019 and will be formally launched at the Unite union’s Fifth Irish Policy Conference in Malahide on Monday May 13.

    Unite have signed a three-year deal to sponsor the cross-border tournament with €50,000 set to go to the winners, €25,000 for the runners-up and a further €25,000 ring-fenced for community-based projects in the competing team’s local areas.
    A kind of Setanta-lite I suppose. Weird name for it, and weird sponsor for it. I wonder how long it will last.

    Not bad prize money for a one off tie though.

  2. #2
    Seasoned Pro El-Pietro's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    3,303
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,189
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    542
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    That is the worst name for a tournament I've ever heard. What Union?

  3. #3
    Seasoned Pro brendy_éire's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Up the town, Derry
    Posts
    3,160
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    30
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    253
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    That is the worst name for a tournament I've ever heard. What Union?
    Sponsored by trade union Unite.
    Dreadful name and horrible, amateurish branding.

  4. #4
    Seasoned Pro NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Gouldavoher
    Posts
    4,100
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    222
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    578
    Thanked in
    394 Posts
    Awkward name - why not just the "Unite Cup"? - but good to see some kind of cross-border competition return. Hopefully it becomes a solid tradition, and doesn't mutate out of control like the Setanta Sports Cup did. Maybe include the primary cup winners if it's an initial success, but let's avoid a return to the days when half the Premier Division was involved.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

  5. #5
    First Team
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,649
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    24
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    280
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Awkward name - why not just the "Unite Cup"? - but good to see some kind of cross-border competition return. Hopefully it becomes a solid tradition, and doesn't mutate out of control like the Setanta Sports Cup did. Maybe include the primary cup winners if it's an initial success, but let's avoid a return to the days when half the Premier Division was involved.
    Bizarre branding, using the words " Union" and "Unite" in a north/south context is beyond Waterford Whisper.
    Pity that the Setanta model hasn`t been kept.

  6. Thanks From:


  7. #6
    First Team ToberonaTornado's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2016
    Location
    Faughart,Dundalk.
    Posts
    1,153
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    73
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    209
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Bizarre branding, using the words " Union" and "Unite" in a north/south context is beyond Waterford Whisper.
    Pity that the Setanta model hasn`t been kept.
    What part of the Setanta would you keep?
    Teams playing 4/5/6 games for frigg all.
    It's a poorly named comp is all.

  8. #7
    First Team Nah Nah Nah Nah's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,097
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    403
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    516
    Thanked in
    294 Posts
    The rich get richer

  9. #8
    First Team
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,649
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    24
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    280
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    What part of the Setanta would you keep?
    Teams playing 4/5/6 games for frigg all.
    It's a poorly named comp is all.
    The building up relationships with northern clubs part. If they at least had top two in both leagues and then a final, it would give more opportunities for contact..

  10. #9
    Seasoned Pro Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,671
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    883
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    718
    Thanked in
    478 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    The rich get richer
    Meh! 50k would barely pay for branded seats at some club with millionaire owners...

  11. #10
    Reserves
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    924
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    329
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    267
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Bizarre branding, using the words " Union" and "Unite" in a north/south context is beyond Waterford Whisper.
    Pity that the Setanta model hasn`t been kept.
    It is a terrible name for a tournament. But the problem is that Unite's name is 'Unite - The Union'.

  12. #11
    First Team ger121's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,978
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    238
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    381
    Thanked in
    210 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Meh! 50k would barely pay for branded seats at some club with millionaire owners...
    Might pay for wet gear under seats in the away end?

  13. #12
    Seasoned Pro Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,671
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    883
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    718
    Thanked in
    478 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    Might pay for wet gear under seats in the away end?
    Oh the home end! or bring yer own ;p

  14. #13
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    30,373
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,365
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,665
    Thanked in
    1,659 Posts
    Bit strange for a union to be engaged in sponsorship? What's in it for them and their members?

  15. Thanks From:


  16. #14
    Seasoned Pro NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Gouldavoher
    Posts
    4,100
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    222
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    578
    Thanked in
    394 Posts
    I'm struggling to think of one beyond "Good PR". Has Unite ever expressed a position on Irish reunification? Sponsoring cross-border competitions might be part of that.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

  17. #15
    Reserves redarmyfaction's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sligo.
    Posts
    606
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    116
    Thanked in
    75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Bit strange for a union to be engaged in sponsorship? What's in it for them and their members?
    They are a UK Union but are organised in the ROI too, like any other business they are looking for customers and this allows them to emphasise their cross border nature.

    The organisation is called Unite the Union not Unite so that is why the cup is called the name it is

  18. #16
    Reserves Park_Lane's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    258
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    68
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    108
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Mickey Mouse time of year to have it, season be over and all LOI players want to do is head off on holidays.

  19. #17
    First Team Fester's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Wexford
    Posts
    1,618
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    45
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    40
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Nice money earner for whomever wins the league, terrible name for it...

  20. #18
    Seasoned Pro Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,671
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    883
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    718
    Thanked in
    478 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Park_Lane View Post
    Mickey Mouse time of year to have it, season be over and all LOI players want to do is head off on holidays.
    Have you already forgotten playing in the group stages in Europe? Assuming thats a real ambition for clubs that get in to Europe this could be a handy fixture to have before the final group game.

  21. #19
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    30,373
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,365
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,665
    Thanked in
    1,659 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmyfaction View Post
    They are a UK Union but are organised in the ROI too, like any other business they are looking for customers and this allows them to emphasise their cross border nature.
    Trade unions don't really advertise as such though - so they're not quite like any other business.

    I know this is a bigger/more general union than most, but generally TU membership tends to be related to the sector you're in, and the shop steward sorts you out if you want. So advertising on this scale would be a bit of a waste I would have thought.

  22. #20
    Seasoned Pro marinobohs's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in the bar celebratingl
    Posts
    3,544
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    357
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    629
    Thanked in
    415 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Trade unions don't really advertise as such though - so they're not quite like any other business.

    I know this is a bigger/more general union than most, but generally TU membership tends to be related to the sector you're in, and the shop steward sorts you out if you want. So advertising on this scale would be a bit of a waste I would have thought.
    UNITE the Union (the name was introduced when a couple of unions joined together some years back) is a UK union that also operates an Irish division (Irish division organizes north and south).The union has tended to be involved in a number of community (sometimes political) issues beyond the usual union activities.
    Good to see any additional revenue coming into the game so credit where it is due, I believe the Irish head of UNITE may have a personal interest in LOI and one team in particular Fair dues (no pun intended) to them for the investment but certainly needs a rethink on the name !
    Bohemian FC The Big Club since 1890

    From the Cradle to the Grave - BTID

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FAI: Legends unite for Sean Cox Fundraiser
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11/02/2019, 2:50 PM
  2. League of Ireland Fans Unite against Racism
    By BohsPartisan in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 13/04/2010, 8:00 PM
  3. Union Jacks
    By pedro in forum World League Football
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 27/02/2006, 11:09 AM
  4. Pink Floyd to Re-unite
    By redgav in forum Entertainment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15/06/2005, 4:52 PM
  5. St. Pats and St. Francis unite
    By Ali-G in forum Cork City
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06/07/2001, 10:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •