Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: New crossborder tournament: Unite the Union Champions Cup

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    No you don’t. It is simply not enough of to not want an AIL.

Genuinely I am perplexed that this has prompted such widespread comment here and elsewhere.

A few dodgy chants and and the cops being OTT the only issues arising from this game when the two teams play each other less than once in a blue moon. How can this be considered anything other than a success off the pitch? Literally no significant incidents whatsoever.

There are Premier League games, SPL games etc that this happens every single season (this isn’t just restricted to high profile derbies/rivalries) and these teams play each other twice a year.

Anyone who considers a few chants to be a genuine obstacle to completely reforming the game on this island needs their head checked.

Again another who just sweeps it under the carpet. It wasn't a few chants, it was considerably more than that. The Hoops linfield supporters had to go through to get to the game was ridiculous, it should never take 3 hours to make a 35minute journey.

Can I also say, their is nothing wrong with just rejecting the idea of an AIL just because people like it as it is. I actually don't understand why any of you would want an AIL? What would the introduction of a few Northern Ireland teams actually do to enhance the game? Do you think Galway vs Linfield is going to garner massive crowds over and above a top Dublin side going to Galway?

We have two leagues that are getting pittance from TV and sponsorship, why do people thing putting them together is going to generate millions in revenue more than we do right now? It's a hollow proposal from lucid and it's a hollow dream.
    The Hallion Battalion Molests football.:D

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    I'm outraged that you are trying to ban a totally innocent term, how dare you. That's it, no AIL for me
    So your just a WUM then. No real debate from you, just soundbites and and sarcasm.

Good to know, I wish I had of read this post before posting the last one quoting you.
    The Hallion Battalion Molests football.:D

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bruce View Post
    Again another who just sweeps it under the carpet. It wasn't a few chants, it was considerably more than that. The Hoops linfield supporters had to go through to get to the game was ridiculous, it should never take 3 hours to make a 35minute journey.

Can I also say, their is nothing wrong with just rejecting the idea of an AIL just because people like it as it is. I actually don't understand why any of you would want an AIL? What would the introduction of a few Northern Ireland teams actually do to enhance the game? Do you think Galway vs Linfield is going to garner massive crowds over and above a top Dublin side going to Galway?

We have two leagues that are getting pittance from TV and sponsorship, why do people thing putting them together is going to generate millions in revenue more than we do right now? It's a hollow proposal from lucid and it's a hollow dream.
    It was a few chants, In Windsor it was about 20 teenagers on both sides.

I couldnt hear the Linfield fans from Shed on Monday, but again in Dundalk section it was 20/30 teenagers who probably couldn't point out Belfast on a map! It just sounded louder as they stand directly under the TV cameras.

Ive seen more abuse by fans at a Dundalk v Rovers game, or Dundalk V Cork over past few years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    So your just a WUM then. No real debate from you, just soundbites and and sarcasm.

Good to know, I wish I had of read this post before posting the last one quoting you.
    That post was, quite clearly, a joke response to the one posted (and quoted) NOT yours. Jesus, with skin that thin its no wonder you were all upset about a few idiots being idiots.

As regards travel, you should take that up with PSNI and AGS, as has been said clearly those type of arrangements were certainly not the norm for SETANTA Cup games (including Linfield). And as for brushing it under the carpet, what exactly do you want ? its a few numpties making a fool of themselves, happens at every match (whether sectarian or not), honestly Dundalk fans got over the 'trauma' of Israeli and Para regiment flags at Windsor - some of them didn't even need therapy !

The prospect of decent investment is exactly the attraction of an AIL, the prospect of developing the game here and providing a strong viable League that might be able to compete seriously in Europe are things I believe most fans want.

If you are cozy in your big fish/ small pond scenario fine. Some fans would genuinely hope for more.
    Last edited by marinobohs; 15/11/2019 at 3:54 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    That post was, quite clearly, a joke response to the one posted (and quoted) NOT yours. Jesus, with skin that thin its no wonder you were all upset about a few idiots being idiots.

As regards travel, you should take that up with PSNI and AGS, as has been said clearly those type of arrangements were certainly not the norm for SETANTA Cup games (including Linfield). And as for brushing it under the carpet, what exactly do you want ? its a few numpties making a fool of themselves, happens at every match (whether sectarian or not), honestly Dundalk fans got over the 'trauma' of Israeli and Para regiment flags at Windsor - some of them didn't even need therapy !

The prospect of decent investment is exactly the attraction of an AIL, the prospect of developing the game here and providing a strong viable League that might be able to compete seriously in Europe are things I believe most fans want. I
    If you are cozy in your big fish/ small pond scenario fine. Some fans would genuinely hope for more.
    I laughed when I seen them to be honest. Best laugh was the Big No Surrender flag they had in Oriel with a Rangers crest on it, that they took down at half time because it was 3-0

7. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts

So it was chants. Happy to retract the “few”. Point still stands - it was chants. West Ham song about yids to Spurs. Utd and Liverpool about the Munich disaster and Hillsborough. This is at the very top end of football, the glamour clubs and clubs who play each other every single year but chants at a game between Dundalk and Linfield given the historical context and unique circumstances are enough of a reason to reject the idea of an AIL?

FWIW I have said in another post that the journey Linfield fans were forced to undertake is not feasible
    and no football fan should endure such scrutiny and inconvenience - I have no counter argument there.

Also I haven’t voiced a for or against opinion on the AIL at all (for clarification I am for an AIL not necessarily in support of it right now or in support of Lucid’s plan).

Simply can’t have that unsavoury chanting is by any measure a good enough reason to reject the proposal.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    So it was chants. Happy to retract the “few”. Point still stands - it was chants. West Ham song about yids to Spurs. Utd and Liverpool about the Munich disaster and Hillsborough. This is at the very top end of football, the glamour clubs and clubs who play each other every single year but chants at a game between Dundalk and Linfield given the historical context and unique circumstances are enough of a reason to reject the idea of an AIL?

FWIW I have said in another post that the journey Linfield fans were forced to undertake is not feasible
    and no football fan should endure such scrutiny and inconvenience - I have no counter argument there.

Also I haven’t voiced a for or against opinion on the AIL at all (for clarification I am for an AIL not necessarily in support of it right now or in support of Lucid’s plan).

Simply can’t have that unsavoury chanting is by any measure a good enough reason to reject the proposal.
    Can I ask DCWA what route did that bus go from Belfast to Dundalk as that is shocking bad. That must have travelled through the Mournes or something?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Can I ask DCWA what route did that bus go from Belfast to Dundalk as that is shocking bad. That must have travelled through the Mournes or something?
    Not sure if I am missing something here ? Consider myself embarrassed if I am but I don’t know what route they took ? Simply picking up that they had to meet at Banbridge the rattle round the depths of Co. Louth for a while.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Not sure, but it appears police didn't want them in Dundalk until near kick off time so driver was told to drive around North Louth for a time. Seems there was a major over reaction by police for this game. I heard Linfeild fans wishing to leave early (some at HT) were also stopped leaving the ground.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    [QUOTE=Steve Bruce;2023610 The Hoops linfield supporters had to go through to get to the game was ridiculous, it should never take 3 hours to make a 35minute journey.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't aware there was a Rovers fanclub link in with "delinfield!!".😀

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    I wasn't aware there was a Rovers fanclub link in with "delinfield!!".😀
    The recently formed “Alan Manus Branch” 😀

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Surely an AIL could and would just do what was done in the examples you gave of the Cliftonville-Linfield matches ? i.e. identify the d!ckheads and take measures to root them out ?

This isn't beyond the wit of those promoting the AIL concept. And if anything they'd have a stronger motive to deal with it, as the entire project could be derailed by any such serious problems.

I don't know why or how you conclude this couldn't be addressed.
    It would if the required legislation is in place, north and south, but it is not, nor do I believe that many clubs in the LOI have the necessary infrastructure, or stewarding. The former being the primary requirement, and I doubt that is in the gift of those proposing an AIL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Imagine the outrage if there had been some significant incident and full security hadnt been in place!! I agree that as such fixtures became more frequent that arrangments would be less severe assuming no problems occured. Without wanting another dose of Oriel Park bashing if there wasnt the need to have all supporters enter the ground via the same route I think the arrangements in place for Dundalk fans going to Windsor would have been applied, an advisory rather than compulsory travel on club coaches. Its a valid observation made earlier that it must have been prearranged to arrive minutes before kick-off and hence the ridiculous situation of driving around North Louth killing time.
    It took 28 years for restrictions on Linfield playing at Solitude to change, and a further 21 years have passed since that process began and restrictions still continue.

More frequent fixtures do not guarantee anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    This is because it was essentially a one-off event with no precedent. Hence over-the-top measures were taken to mitigate against any trouble.

If these sorts of fixtures were happening week in week out across the island, then the police both sides of the border would a) know exactly what level of risk and issues they were dealing with, rather than assume the worst, and b) Chill the fcuk out about it all.

You can't take an exceptional event and try to translate it into ongoing/everyday circumstance.
    But it wasn't a "one off" as Linfield have faced restrictions at Dundalk previously and other venues. Only yesterday they faced similar when visiting the Brandywell plus an early 1pm ko.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

As regards travel, you should take that up with PSNI and AGS, as has been said clearly those type of arrangements were certainly not the norm for SETANTA Cup games (including Linfield).
    Absolute rubbish. Linfield fans faced virtually the same when playing at Dundalk in the Setanta.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Correct, the restrictions on Linfield fans going to Oriel were the same as the Setanta cup ties 8 years ago. However, the restrictions on Dundalk fans going to Windsor Park were relaxed. It was no longer necessary to go in the bus convoy, fans could get tickets online and make their own private travel arrangements.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    Correct, the restrictions on Linfield fans going to Oriel were the same as the Setanta cup ties 8 years ago. However, the restrictions on Dundalk fans going to Windsor Park were relaxed. It was no longer necessary to go in the bus convoy, fans could get tickets online and make their own private travel arrangements.
    Not quite true.

Northern based Dundalk fans who couldn't make it to OP to get a bus could e-mail the club with their contact details and when then verified were able to pick up tix at WP but still had to go into the proper Dundalk section on the night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Parker View Post
    Absolute rubbish. Linfield fans faced virtually the same when playing at Dundalk in the Setanta.
    The AIL is bringing everyone closer together already. Cliftonville is very concerned about how Linfield fans get to and from games.

This is the start of something beautiful.
    Last edited by mrtndvn; 17/11/2019 at 9:57 PM.
    MD

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    Not quite true.

Northern based Dundalk fans who couldn't make it to OP to get a bus could e-mail the club with their contact details and when then verified were able to pick up tix at WP but still had to go into the proper Dundalk section on the night.
    It was the same V Glentoran that season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    It was the same V Glentoran that season
    It was indeed.
    Seamless operation iirc.

Same as at op & wp recently.Some songs but abs no trouble.
    Songs and and goading will die down after a while in an all-ireland league.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast