Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New crossborder tournament: Unite the Union Champions Cup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Nesta your PM box is full I can't reply to your message. PM me your email/phone or sort out your inbox ;-)
    Done!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bruce View Post
    I was actually very disappointed in the quality of both sides. Linfield where very negative and dundalk offered little in offense.

As far as how we where so effective in Europe? well the simple answer to that is we played much much better than Friday.

Let's not kid ourselves here this is a glorified friendly, as our manager said before Friday night, our biggest game in the next 3 matches is Institute. It was highly unlikely Linfield where going to risk adding to our injury list by going all out for 2 meaningless games vs dundalk.
    Hardly meaningless if there is €25,000 on the line.

Although I see Larne play Crusaders tonight on Sky in a direct clash with this game. Silly.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingswood Rover View Post
    Nice to see a linfield fan posting keep them coming always good to get different views, Would there be any Linfield fans in favor of combining the 2 leagues.
    Their are a number of Linfield fans in favour of an AIL. Whether or not they are in favour of the Lucid AIL is up for debate though.

I can see pros and cons to it. Theirs certainly fixtures I would love to see on a regular basis, the biggest game for me on this island would be Linfield vs Shamrock Rovers.

But then theirs the downsides, for me the one that I can't get past is the sectarianism. I'm not going to come on here and blast Dundalk as a club or their fan base, but their was a sizable amount made the journey to Belfast with the sole purpose to stir up a sectarian pot. Linfield supporters where not completely innocent either may I add, but I do believe that if the chants from the Dundalk end where focused on football chants, their wouldn't have been a reaction, not that, that's an excuse either.

Linfield have tried very hard and we have all but eradicated the sectarian element in our support and the last thing Linfield football club needs is to be dragged back..

Anyway, I know I'm going on with myself here, I'm sure people will see it much differently, but as a supporter of Linfield, All I want is whats best for Linfield and for me personally, I feel an AIL isn't the best thing for Linfield right this minute in time, although I'm not writing off an AIL in the future.
    The Hallion Battalion Molests football.:D

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    I suspect your enthusiasm (or lack of it) is related to Linfields chances of winning.
    Not outplayed TBF but Dundalk were better side.
    Dundalk are the best side on this island, my lack of enthusiasm is because we are now 3 games behind in our league coming into the christmas period. It's nothing to do with if we get beat or not. I like Linfield to test themselves against top teams, but the timing of this couldn't be worse. It really isn't that important to us, although it's nice to win, but it wont define our season one way or another.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Hardly meaningless if there is €25,000 on the line.

Although I see Larne play Crusaders tonight on Sky in a direct clash with this game. Silly.
    Our domestic football should not be changed because of a friendly 2 legged game between our legs. Money is great, but that doesn't give the game any automatic prestige. If the Co Antrim shield got a massive sponsor and their was 1M for the winners, yes the clubs will take it seriously, but the fans wont be going out in their droves just because of the big money. It's still a low prestige competition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Our domestic football should not be changed because of a friendly 2 legged game between our legs. Money is great, but that doesn't give the game any automatic prestige. If the Co Antrim shield got a massive sponsor and their was 1M for the winners, yes the clubs will take it seriously, but the fans wont be going out in their droves just because of the big money. It's still a low prestige competition.
    I totally agree with you. just Bizarre that the UTUCP Final would be scheduled to clash with another league game. Makes no sense.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    But then theirs the downsides, for me the one that I can't get past is the sectarianism. I'm not going to come on here and blast Dundalk as a club or their fan base, but their was a sizable amount made the journey to Belfast with the sole purpose to stir up a sectarian pot. Linfield supporters where not completely innocent either may I add, but I do believe that if the chants from the Dundalk end where focused on football chants, their wouldn't have been a reaction, not that, that's an excuse either.
    Sectarianism in all its forms is repulsive and should not be tolerated. While I was embarrassed and annoyed by some of the chanting on Friday night, I was also encouraged by the negative reactions of many of the Dundalk fans to the worst of these from within the away support. Ditto for Vinny Perths reactions during the match and his post match comments

I don't think it is particularly helpful or accurate to make the accusation that a "sizable amount made the journey to Belfast with the sole purpose to stir up a sectarian pot", nor is reasonable to give all Linfield supporters a relatively free pass - particularly those who came with the Parachute Regiment flag or the Israeli flag.

Most who made the journey to Belfast were primarily focused on supporting their team; for some a misguided aspect of this is to try to get a verbal reaction from opposition fans, rather than it being naked sectarianism. It does not make it excusable or okay in any way, but less attention should be given to a handful of headcases out for a reaction

As a club Linfield have done remarkable work in trying to tackle sectarianism among it's own supporters and despite plenty of high profile incidents and several fines along the way, have made a lot of progress. However the problem clearly still exists

Tonight may be a bigger test for the maturity of both sets of supporters

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Sectarianism is still rife in this country.

Many people cry foul the minute James McClean is called out for not wearing a poppy, but many of the same people have no issue calling Alan Mannus an 'orange ba$tard' because he didn't turn around during the anthem in Lansdowne road.

You only had to look at the average comment section on social media of the Linfield v Dundalk game the other night to see the issue exists in massive quantity here.

It was fantastic to hear of Dundalk fans and coaches reaction to chanting in the stand, but there's large numbers defending it online too. Likewise Linfield and their flags, a clear swipe at Dundalk fans. Sectarianism only works one way for some, and it's disgusting and doesn't belong on any street in this country.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

10. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Any streams kicking around for tonight ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Easy for aDundalk so far.

Dundalk fans "You're only here for your passports".
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Sectarianism is not anywhere near as bad as even 20 years ago listening to shed is embarrassing the fact that this game is being played in a pretty much run of the mill manner is testament to that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Sectarianism is still rife in this country.

Many people cry foul the minute James McClean is called out for not wearing a poppy, but many of the same people have no issue calling Alan Mannus an 'orange ba$tard' because he didn't turn around during the anthem in Lansdowne road.

You only had to look at the average comment section on social media of the Linfield v Dundalk game the other night to see the issue exists in massive quantity here.

It was fantastic to hear of Dundalk fans and coaches reaction to chanting in the stand, but there's large numbers defending it online too. Likewise Linfield and their flags, a clear swipe at Dundalk fans. Sectarianism only works one way for some, and it's disgusting and doesn't belong on any street in this country.
    The two issues are completely different.

Mannus realised he made a mistake and said sorry, should be the end of it.
    MD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Looked like John Gill was apologising at HT there likely for the chants from the shed. Embaressing stuff!!! As Steve Bruce says above huge effort has gone in to combating sectarian chanting in the IL but we are decades behind. Many will not even realise the significance of their chanting which is sad in itself, almost like they think it the done thing. These are people that used to chant about the 'Mushahalee' as thats what they thought they heard in the past...

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Sectarianism in all its forms is repulsive and should not be tolerated. While I was embarrassed and annoyed by some of the chanting on Friday night, I was also encouraged by the negative reactions of many of the Dundalk fans to the worst of these from within the away support. Ditto for Vinny Perths reactions during the match and his post match comments

I don't think it is particularly helpful or accurate to make the accusation that a "sizable amount made the journey to Belfast with the sole purpose to stir up a sectarian pot", nor is reasonable to give all Linfield supporters a relatively free pass - particularly those who came with the Parachute Regiment flag or the Israeli flag.

Most who made the journey to Belfast were primarily focused on supporting their team; for some a misguided aspect of this is to try to get a verbal reaction from opposition fans, rather than it being naked sectarianism. It does not make it excusable or okay in any way, but less attention should be given to a handful of headcases out for a reaction

As a club Linfield have done remarkable work in trying to tackle sectarianism among it's own supporters and despite plenty of high profile incidents and several fines along the way, have made a lot of progress. However the problem clearly still exists

Tonight may be a bigger test for the maturity of both sets of supporters
    I purposely said sizable and not majority and from the South stand it wasn't evident that anyone shouted them down but fair play to those that did (wasn't evident because of the distance, not that I don't believe you). I also noticed your manager waving his arms to cut the crap.

The para flag is antagonistic to some, I agree. No need for it to be their.

I seen both Israeli and palistinion along with a D Coy IRA flag.

All these things regardless of who have them are not needed at football games and once more not welcome at Windsor Park.

Linfield is such a mix of all backgrounds, the days of linfield being a protestant club for protestant people is long gone. Obviously we can force other backgrounds to support us but the makeup of the club is very different to 30 years ago.

Well done dundalk for winning tonight

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Audible IRA chants from Dundalk fans really isn't a good look...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    It's a free for all this evening, a sanction free for all?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Embarrassment.

Its a shame a stand wasn't taken by the Dundalk players/management.
    MD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I would expect that Vinny Perth will be very critical of any chanting in his post match interviews. It is a pity that we are not just talking about the football!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    It sadly comes as no surprise that morons unfortunately follow football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Depressing to hear those chants.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast