Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Lads, get over the faux outrage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I would expect that Vinny Perth will be very critical of any chanting in his post match interviews. It is a pity that we are not just talking about the football!!
    Appears to be celebrating with them.
    MD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Shock, horror,.... Dundalk, a place where Gerry Adams tops the poll, has a nationlist element. Also disgraceful that there are Palestinian flags in the ground.......

You swear their was a riot the way people go on. Worse happens on a Saturday night in Belfast.

You can't rail against sanatisation of football, then complain when people have their opinions. FFS, Dundalks singing section is the "mujahideen". Dundalk FC is as much a product of its community as Linfield is.

Bring your sanctimonous nature to Rugby if you want to pretend that everyone gets along.... I bet everyone complaining here had their posts typed out before kick off....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Dundalks singing section is the "mujahideen".
    Ask any of them why, how or even to pronounce it never mind spell it. In equal measure that you think people shouldnt comment you are able to disagree and entitled to your opinion. I for one think there is no need to stoop to chanting about a paramilitary organisation or derogatory chanting on a nationality. I still have no doubt that Dundalk management led by Perth will comment subsequently on what is inappropriate chanting from a different era!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Ask any of them why, how or even to pronounce it never mind spell it. In equal measure that you think people shouldnt comment you are able to disagree and entitled to your opinion. I for one think there is no need to stoop to chanting about a paramilitary organisation or derogatory chanting on a nationality. I still have no doubt that Dundalk management led by Perth will comment subsequently on what is inappropriate chanting from a different era!
    Was always going to happen, some of the clowns were boasting on twitter about it after Friday night

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Shock, horror,.... Dundalk, a place where Gerry Adams tops the poll, has a nationlist element. Also disgraceful that there are Palestinian flags in the ground.......

You swear their was a riot the way people go on. Worse happens on a Saturday night in Belfast.

You can't rail against sanatisation of football, then complain when people have their opinions. FFS, Dundalks singing section is the "mujahideen". Dundalk FC is as much a product of its community as Linfield is.

Bring your sanctimonous nature to Rugby if you want to pretend that everyone gets along.... I bet everyone complaining here had their posts typed out before kick off....
    You might think that's acceptable, but you clearly don't have to deal with the ramifications of it.

Some of us are from an area of the Island where Irish people have been discriminated against for years. Where are now facing a huge challenge in Brexit, where things will most certainly get worse for those areas, and if you think nights like tonight will encourage the unionist people to a new or united ireland, it won't.

Some of us are trying to move on and improve parts of this island that need it most. This **** is most unhelpful.

Never mind a new Ireland, even a basic AIL is hugely damaged by tonight.
    MD

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts

No it is a bit depressing. I'm not outraged by it particularly and I've very little interest in rugby.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    I agree, if my son was doing that, he would get a slap across the ears. Many people from the Town suffered, and had their lives ruined because of the IRA...

...But Lets not Blow things out of porportion. This was always going to happen. There is the element of it in Dundalk, and because the football club is so close to the community, it shows up in Oriel as well.
    No-one was hurt, no pitch invasions. There was worse behaviour at the some final few league games for other teams.

People just want to be offended......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    No place in football, but it's a minority of morons at a highly sensitive (given history) match. A few gob****es that should know better and a bunch of kids mimicking them.
    Let's stay real, work to be done, a lot of it, but it's a long ling way from the Tyler's All Ireland Cup days.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    I agree, if my son was doing that, he would get a slap across the ears. Many people from the Town suffered, and had their lives ruined because of the IRA...

...But Lets not Blow things out of porportion. This was always going to happen. There is the element of it in Dundalk, and because the football club is so close to the community, it shows up in Oriel as well.
    No-one was hurt, no pitch invasions. There was worse behaviour at the some final few league games for other teams.

People just want to be offended......
    Ah like its a bit of both... i mean simpsons memes can be funny and some argue they are a reflection of an average irish outlook but sometimes this whole "feckin' tans" thing gets a bit much/tired.
    Its not a surprise. And these things happen alot in football all across Europe, sometimes it adds to the edge and sometimes its taken too far. We all have different limits, and different definition of what a RA song is etc but ultimately people are looking to be provocative and looking for a reaction from both sides. Sometimes we can shrug it off and boo them down but sometimes it still needs to be pointed out. The Para flag or the Israeli/palestinian flags are signs of more organised "sectarianism" than just getting carried away with a chant or two...but yea I mean as pointed out with Brexit and this talk of a united league our "bigger/better" league maybe needs to also be considerate of their concerns etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Whether it was always going to happen, that it is no surprise, that worse happens elsewhere, that there is an element in Dundalk and the football club is an extension of community, it doesnt mean that it isnt embaressing, a sad reflection of the mindest of some. In the grand scheme of things of course it wasnt catastrophic. But it could make potential investors in an AIL think twice never mind the clubs etc. It doesnt look good for Dundalk FC whether people were ready to pounce in advance or not. Disappointment is more how it feels than (faux) outrage. It would be remiss of level headed fans not to speak out rather than condone by saying nothing or make excuses either. Linfield fan by contrast werent riled in to responding with their own chants albeit maybe the scoreline had taken the sting out of things for them. There is a whole load of work that needs to be done prior to an AIL and it isnt on finances or European places!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Well done Dundalk. How did Linfield run Qarabag so close, they were dreadful.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtndvn View Post
    You might think that's acceptable, but you clearly don't have to deal with the ramifications of it.

Some of us are from an area of the Island where Irish people have been discriminated against for years. Where are now facing a huge challenge in Brexit, where things will most certainly get worse for those areas, and if you think nights like tonight will encourage the unionist people to a new or united ireland, it won't.

Some of us are trying to move on and improve parts of this island that need it most. This **** is most unhelpful.

Never mind a new Ireland, even a basic AIL is hugely damaged by tonight.
    Cop on. A basic AIL might have been damaged by how awful Linfield were. And they're the best that league has to offer.
    🙄🙄

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie C View Post
    Cop on. A basic AIL might have been damaged by how awful Linfield were. And they're the best that league has to offer.
    ����
    Everyone with a brain realises that the IL is way behind the LOI. They point of an AIL league is that with combined resources we are better than we should be apart. With DAZN about to launch in the UK and Ireland, there was an opportunity with a new exciting product, with a larger catchment area that would process a goal of professional football on the Island.

We need to convince a large majority IL fans to give up their part-time comforts and put the effort in to professionalise football. I doubt too many would-be bothered if they are listening to IRA chants every week, and I hardly blame them.
    MD

16. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    I must be missing something!

I was concerned about the potential for sectarian and provocative chanting, flags, banners etc tonight, but I neither saw nor heard anything that was offensive. Admittedly I was in the stand on the other side of the ground from the more raucous shed side and was perhaps slightly distracted by the quality of the Dundalk display

But from reading the discussion on this thread it seems that the level and ferocity of abuse was so severe that it overshadows all reference to the football on display and has greatly offended many sensitive football fans on this forum.

Anxious to fill in the gaps, I checked some media reports to read some impartial reports on this crowd misbehaviour. Heck I even looked for some partial ones from the more sensationalist media. Amazingly all I could find were reports that detailed the magnificent performance by Dundalk in the 6-0 win.

I really need to be more observant and pay more attention to the important details.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I must be missing something!

I was concerned about the potential for sectarian and provocative chanting, flags, banners etc tonight, but I neither saw nor heard anything that was offensive. Admittedly I was in the stand on the other side of the ground from the more raucous shed side and was perhaps slightly distracted by the quality of the Dundalk display

But from reading the discussion on this thread it seems that the level and ferocity of abuse was so severe that it overshadows all reference to the football on display and has greatly offended many sensitive football fans on this forum.

Anxious to fill in the gaps, I checked some media reports to read some impartial reports on this crowd misbehaviour. Heck I even looked for some partial ones from the more sensationalist media. Amazingly all I could find were reports that detailed the magnificent performance by Dundalk in the 6-0 win.

I really need to be more observant and pay more attention to the important details.
    It was very apparent on TV. I would be surprised if the other stand didn't hear it as at one point a different section on Dundalk fans tried to boo it out.
    MD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    It was very apparent on TV. I would be surprised if the other stand didn't hear it as at one point a different section on Dundalk fans tried to boo it out.
    Be as surprised as you like - I have already told you that I did not hear anything from the main stand, although it's well possible that others with keener hearing did.

BTW, I don't doubt you or others who said there was offensive chanting.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    I was in the main stand also and could hear very little from the Shed. They were quieter than usual.

I think I heard a variation of the "We know what we are, Champions of Ireland etc" at one point. It sounded like "You know what you are. You're Irish. You know what you are." Certainly the Linfield officials close to me in the stand were laughing at that one.
    Last edited by White Horse; 11/11/2019 at 11:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    The political pontification on social media is verging on the absurd. One chap even thinks that the NIFL can sort out these issues for us

It's pretty clear that the LOI needs the NIFL to sort out our growing issues.
    https://twitter.com/mrtndvn1/status/1193997125396369415

Surely thats not you mrtndvn?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    In other news

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast