Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Denmark V Republic of Ireland - Copenhagen - 7th June 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Not too impressed leaving early alright. Given Crowley's prominence in Willem II's success I don't think it was unreasonable for Mick to choose this match to check him out -- high pressure match vs top class opposition.

I can understand the upset at making the trip and not seeing him start though.
    A watershed moment for Martin O'Neill during his tenure, as far as I'm concerned, was his failure to start Wes Hoolahan at home against Austria. Hoolahan was introduced from the bench with 20 minutes left and was instrumental in getting us an equalizer and nearly a winner. It may be a bit premature but this (failure to include Crowley in the squad at the first opportunity) feels awfully like Mick's watershed moment.

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    After travelling over there you would have thought he would have stayed to meet with the lad after the game and at least have a chat? He wouldnt have have had to worry about the traffic then either!

Trying to be positive about McCarthy but that is bad man management of a lad who is showing eagerness to join us when others are not.

4. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    I remember when there were rumours that Gary Breen had an opportunity to move to an Italian team, but Mick told him to stay in England for sake of his Ireland prospects. Says it all, really.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    I remember when there were rumours that Gary Breen had an opportunity to move to an Italian team, but Mick told him to stay in England for sake of his Ireland prospects. Says it all, really.
    He went to inter but failed the medical

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    A little bit of gossip....I've a friend volunteering at the U-17 Championships who has gotten friendly with two FAI employees. They love Mick, for starters, and also mentioned that in comparison to some previous managers (no idea who...) he's super easy to deal with and does a lot of his own arrangements and that sort of thing himself.
    Just felt it worth mentioning. I know he was doing a lot of travel recently.

Another thing worth mentioning, is that the French FA officials were making a big fuss about Zidane and Deschamps' expected attendance at the French game the other day, wanting all sorts of things, above the usual VIP standard.

Neither showed up.

My own take...I wouldn't go throwing Crowley in in June, no way (I've no idea on his status, btw), and there will be plenty of time to see him when the footballing schedule in general is not so hectic, in the summer. Mick hanging around for however long (I imagine there's all sorts of cup final hullabaloo) to talk to a young lad doesn't seem like much of a crime to me, or any kind of crime, and I'd have gotten in the car too. Seems sensible at his age.
    He went to Amsterdam to see him. Enough for me and should give Crowley all the encouragement he needs, if he needs any.

Anyway, after seeing Didsy (I love that that's his nickname, I really do) play against Georgia, I believe in pretty much any decision, especially man-management, by Mick right now!

8. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    I assume that the omission of Westwood is injury related. He missed 3 of the last 4 club games due to injury.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I assume that the omission of Westwood is injury related. He missed 3 of the last 4 club games due to injury.
    Yeah McCarthy confirmed as much.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    A little bit of gossip....I've a friend volunteering at the U-17 Championships who has gotten friendly with two FAI employees. They love Mick, for starters, and also mentioned that in comparison to some previous managers (no idea who...) he's super easy to deal with and does a lot of his own arrangements and that sort of thing himself.

Another thing worth mentioning, is that the French FA officials were making a big fuss about Zidane and Deschamps' expected attendance at the French game the other day, wanting all sorts of things, above the usual VIP standard.

Neither showed up.

My own take...I wouldn't go throwing Crowley in in June, no way (I've no idea on his status, btw), and there will be plenty of time to see him when the footballing schedule in general is not so hectic, in the summer. Mick hanging around for however long (I imagine there's all sorts of cup final hullabaloo) to talk to a young lad doesn't seem like much of a crime to me, or any kind of crime, and I'd have gotten in the car too. Seems sensible at his age.
    He went to Amsterdam to see him. Enough for me and should give Crowley all the encouragement he needs, if he needs any.

Anyway, after seeing Didsy (I love that that's his nickname, I really do) play against Georgia, I believe in pretty much any decision, especially man-management, by Mick right now!
    Mick deserves credit for going to Amsterdam to see Crowley play. And in fairness to Mick he must have been ****ed off when the lad didn't start. And ten minutes missed at the end is not of much consequence. But the frustrating thing is that it would be no skin off anyone's nose if Crowley went to Portugal, and yet he's not going. Let's hope there are one or two defections and he eventually makes it

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts

Neither showed up.

Mick is brilliant. But he should have stayed until the final whistle. That would have been an extra 20 mins reviewing the player he flew over for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    We don't know what time his return flight was booked for, could be any other reason to leave earthly

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Exactly, and I expect a guy whose entire life has been at or near the very top of the game could see in a few minutes what most of us wouldn't see in a season (me anyway: I'd give my right arm to see just one game the way a top pro does) - positioning, movement, awareness etc. Seeing a player in the flesh for the first time is a bit like interviewing a candidate for a job - you already know what you like or don't on the CV, and they've confirmed what you think within a few minutes.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    We don't know what time his return flight was booked for, could be any other reason to leave earthly
    That's actually not relevant. Don't book a flight that interups a game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    I never said it was, I said it could have been. He said himself he wanted to leave before the traffic.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Shock revelation - Irish Manager actually scouts a player. receives fulsome praise, despite bungling the task and then reports on the wrong team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Are people aware that Mick was in Waterford the following day for the U-17s match?

He was then traveling to London. I presume to get back to Bromley and re-charge the batteries.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Sounds like Mick is doing a hell of a lot more travelling and scouting than his predecessor. I knocked him initially too for leaving early but with that schedule you'd understand why he's trying to be efficient with his time.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Are people aware that Mick was in Waterford the following day for the U-17s match?
    All the more impressive given those players will be of no use to him, given the nature of his contract.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    All the more impressive given those players will be of no use to him, given the nature of his contract.
    Excellent point when you put it like that.

24. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Just watching the Old Firm here. Jonny Hayes playing again. Interesting to note that Cunningham was picked ahead of him to come into this squad. I think he has just 7 appearances in the league for Cardiff this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Didn't Trap just watch DVDs in Italy???

From what I hear, Mick is an excellent person (he'll do his online check-in for flights but the lady at the FAI loves him so much she always wants to do it before he can) and the only thing he cares about is the good of Irish football.

The guff spouted a while ago about his possible lack of motivation because he knows he'll be leaving at a certain date seems 100% to be total rubbish. And insulting.

The criticism about his scouting in Holland was uninformed criticism. Which should be a lesson to us all.

Lord knows I have been guilty of making uninformed, damning comments willy nilly.

Though I stand by every single one on Glenn Whelan.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast