Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Denmark V Republic of Ireland - Copenhagen - 7th June 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts

Denmark V Republic of Ireland - Copenhagen - 7th June 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

Training camp squad set to be named tomorrow, but Crowley will not be included: https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/scou...as-no-surprise
    McCarthy will name his provisional squad on Tuesday, May 7 for the training camp in Portugal and the UEFA EURO 2020 qualifiers against Denmark, in Copenhagen on June 7, and Gibraltar at Aviva Stadium on June 10.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    I like how both McCarthy and Howe emphasise Travers' character and attitude. It bodes well.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    It's likely Crowley isn't eligible to play yet, still he should have been called up so McCarthy could watch him in practice.

4. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    It's likely Crowley isn't eligible to play yet, still he should have been called up so McCarthy could watch him in practice.
    I agree. Call him up and let him get in and around the squad. We have no one who could be described as a playmaker in midfield (Shaun Williams aside perhaps) and we really cannot afford to pass up on this player.
    If Mick McCarthy can go to see Jack Byrne - and fair play to him for doing so - then a player who has helped his team to the Dutch Cup Final is not worth taking to the training squad??? Just doesn't make sense.

I would say to Mick: When Switzerland and Denmark come to the Aviva and we spend three-quarters of the game chasing the ball, remember this decision not to bring him to Portugal. Exactly what is there to lose?
    Now, it is quite possible that his paperwork is not in order yet - but for Heaven's sake come out and say that instead of keeping us all in suspense.

And if his paperwork is in order, and he is eligible to come and play for us, then it reflects very poorly on Mick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Is it possible he'll be included in the squad for the Toulon Tournament?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    824 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Is it possible he'll be included in the squad for the Toulon Tournament?
    I wondered that myself. He seems the type of player Kenny would love too.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts

Randolph
    Travers
    O'Hara
    Coleman Keogh Duffy Stevens
    Doherty K Long Egan Cunningham
    O'Dowda Browne Hendrick Brady
    Curtis Whelan Hourihane McClean
    Arter Cullen
    Byrne Judge
    McGoldrick S Long
    Maguire Hogan
    Robinson O'Brien
    Collins

(bold involved in playoffs)
    Last edited by Closed Account; 07/05/2019 at 11:21 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    Even if Kenny was keen, Crowley is overage and I'd say Kenny is only concerned with the current u21 squad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    476 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Half those lads are in the play offs and won't go to Portugal I guess. Is that the end of Westwood?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    533 Posts
    Surprising omissions of Westwood, Christie, Clark, McCarthy. Westwood was excellent this season. Can only assume he asked for the summer off, which isn't too bad news unless Randolph picks up a knock.

On a personal level, I'd like to see the likes of Sean McDermott, Michael Duffy and Dan Crowley included in the group. The management group have only worked with 23 lads so far. No harm casting your eyes on a few more lads in a training camp.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    450 Posts
    This may have nothing to do with it but I think there are Europa league playoffs involving the 5th to 8th placed teams and willem are currently 8th . They are 2 legged semis and then a 2 legged final with the winner of the final getting a Europa spot. The semis are down for the 18th and 21st and the final for 24th and 28th. But if this was the reason he could have just been picked anyway and released if they made the playoffs which hopefully they will hold their place with 2 games to go

13. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    This may have nothing to do with it but I think there are Europa league playoffs involving the 5th to 8th placed teams and willem are currently 8th . They are 2 legged semis and then a 2 legged final with the winner of the final getting a Europa spot. The semis are down for the 18th and 21st and the final for 24th and 28th. But if this was the reason he could have just been picked anyway and released if they made the playoffs which hopefully they will hold their place with 2 games to go
    I don't think the play offs came into it. Mick appears to have some chip on his shoulder about Crowley, made out that this was a huge wasted effort on his part deep into foreign lands and could only talk effusively about Ajax.
    Has he ever expressed any positive comment on Crowley? Would it be too much of a stretch to expect a very well paid manager to do his job and check out a few match recordings of Willem? I'd expect the manager of an amateur team to be more diligent about checking up on a free up and coming prospect?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    I don't think the play offs came into it. Mick appears to have some chip on his shoulder about Crowley, made out that this was a huge wasted effort on his part deep into foreign lands and could only talk effusively about Ajax.
    Has he ever expressed any positive comment on Crowley? Would it be too much of a stretch to expect a very well paid manager to do his job and check out a few match recordings of Willem? I'd expect the manager of an amateur team to be more diligent about checking up on a free up and coming prospect?
    a bit OTT i think. after all mick did travel to holland at the weekend to watch him. that trip must have been based on at least some research / scouting into his performances this season.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    476 Posts
    "There was a car waiting for me and I didn’t particularly want to get caught up with the Ajax and Willem II fans after the game. I saw him for 10 or 15 minutes, not that I saw too much of him as Ajax were 2-0 up and scored another two"

I'm a little bit p*ssed off with this, its lazy and slightly ignorant

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I made a similar point to Geysir a few weeks ago which also met some resistance.

In fairness, I think Mick was probably very frustrated that he went to decent lengths to watch him and it was pretty much a wasted trip when he didn't start. Maybe some of that annoyance is coming out in his other comments. He should be watching videos of Willem II matches though, that's the least I'd expect.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    476 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I made a similar point to Geysir a few weeks ago which also met some resistance.

In fairness, I think Mick was probably very frustrated that he went to decent lengths to watch him and it was pretty much a wasted trip when he didn't start. Maybe some of that annoyance is coming out in his other comments. He should be watching videos of Willem II matches though, that's the least I'd expect.
    Yep, he shouldn't have left after 10 mins of Danny's introduction because his car was waiting! he should have stayed the extra 20 minutes to review the player while he was on the pitch

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    Let's praise Mick for finally agreeing to undertake an all expenses paid trip to Holland to do his job while on a reputed salary of Eur 1.2m. No doubt he missed out on his his sunday roast, a lunchtime pint or two and probably peed off his missus by claiming he didn't have time to mow the lawn.
    After all that, the gist of McCarthy's whole report was about the quality Ajax's 2nd goal. This is insulting.
    Probably he's more comfortable with begging Bamford, who really is not the type of troublemaker that Crowley is rumored to be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    620 Posts
    I think it's bad form to be honest. I don't understand why he waited for the Cup final either.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    241 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I think it's bad form to be honest. I don't understand why he waited for the Cup final either.
    Not too impressed leaving early alright. Given Crowley's prominence in Willem II's success I don't think it was unreasonable for Mick to choose this match to check him out -- high pressure match vs top class opposition.

I can understand the upset at making the trip and not seeing him start though.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Not too impressed leaving early alright. Given Crowley's prominence in Willem II's success I don't think it was unreasonable for Mick to choose this match to check him out -- high pressure match vs top class opposition.

I can understand the upset at making the trip and not seeing him start though.
    He deserves credit for going, but any manager hoping to see any prospective player play in the flesh, runs the risk of him being injured or dropped. I had hoped that Mick would take Crowley's whole season into account and that would have been enough to get him to the training camp in Portugal. Apparently, that is not the case. At this stage we as fans have to give Mick the benefit of the doubt as far as team selection goes. Maybe he has a method of playing in mind for the upcoming campaign which will be effective and get us qualified. But from where I'm standing I just cannot see us doing anything other than handing massive amounts of possession and opportunities to Denmark and Switzerland both home and away, during the coming campaign.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast