Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Denmark V Republic of Ireland - Copenhagen - 7th June 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Okay, so Hendrick not good enough. McClean not good enough. O'Dowda not good enough. Pretty sure you deemed Duffy not good enough too and even Coleman a penalty waiting to happen.

Who actually is good enough and should be playing?
    Given what we had the last day available to use/us, I would accommodate Robinson and Doherty in that starting 11. Coleman has come on leaps and bounds which he admitted himself in terms of his defensive ability and is no longer dragging the arm on the attacking player. He is a much better defender than he was 3 or so years ago. Duffy was immense the last day, I don't think anyone could deny that. Lets see if he can continue that and playing ball, wasn't his misplaced header that setup the danish striker(who made another hames) which had slighted keogh. But he definitely seems to be going in the right direction.

On stutts point, i was saying robinson has looked good. McGoldrick has done well for us, bar the first 45 mins the last day. There are lots of other positives which have been consistent. Not one cross in a nothing away friendly by some player to be getting giddy about.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Nah, Tets is right.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Last time I remember us needing to score against Denmark they picked us off at will.

Silly to say they could have been 3 up. They had 3 or 4 chances. Had one gone in the game may well have have changed and we'd have woken up. After we scored we actually kept on the attack. I think our players sensed the momentum had changed. I loved seeing that.

Paul's a great one for saying what doesn't work. I'm not sure I've ever heard him say what does work.

In general, I was quite relaxed during the first half. They had no more of the ball than I would have expected or that I would have been uncomfortable with. We had a terrible 10-15 mins in the second half, no disguising that. But we actually had 3-4 good chances to score. We didn't even get in their box 18 months ago! And we had a lot of nervous moments in the first 0-0 too.

Much better showing on Friday in my opinion.
    In every important game where we came out with something, if the opposing team converted just half the good chances they had against us in the first 45 minutes, we would be in row Z

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I wouldn't be too fussy about that. The point was that they were all over us for that 15/20 minute spell in the second half and were opening us up, almost at will. I remember looking at the clock at 60 minutes thinking there's no way we're going to hold out. I certainly wasn't thinking if Denmark score it might click us into gear.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Denmark, the arrogant feckers assumed God was on their side because of their undoubted superior ability and a one goal victory was destined. Ironic though that it was a typical MON era pressure stunt of a goal that salvaged the result.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I think the example of Coleman sums up the difference between Paul O'Shea and gesyir. For POS, he was always an accident waiting to happen, a penalty in the making, no matter how many years it took to happen. For geysir, Coleman was a lucky defender who got away with the odd shirt-tug. When Coleman did finally give away a penalty when he was 27, it was vindication of Paul's worldview and he'd never tire of pointing it out. geysir, despite being proven right on several occasions, kept his counsel as you'd expect from a gentleman of the relaxed Icelandic persuasion. The lesson is, don't Paul O'Shea, not even once. You'll be happier and, more importantly, right.

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    In every important game where we came out with something, if the opposing team converted just half the good chances they had against us in the first 45 minutes, we would be in row Z
    Remember that famous game in Ibaraki? I watched it again a few years ago. Germany (Carsten Janker in particular) missed some comically bad chances.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Remember that famous game in Ibaraki? I watched it again a few years ago. Germany (Carsten Janker in particular) missed some comically bad chances.
    we also missed a couple of good chances in that German game, the 2nd round game against spain too. fully deserved the draws we got in both those two games and probably deserved to beat spain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Matt Holland almost scored a carbon copy of his Cameroon goal I remember

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Thread bumped and locked
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011