Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Travers G Bournmouth b.1999

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I will give him a match to return to confidence. The Serbia away was hard for a youngster with a few dozens of matches

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts

3. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Bournemouth heavily linked to signing Neto from Barcelona. Big competition for Travers.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    He won't be coming from Barca to sit on the bench. Not for long anyway. And Bournemouth won't be paying the kind of wages he'll be looking for to bring in a bench warmer either.

Bournemouth are likely to struggle this season so it will seem an easy decision to replace Travers when they have a few poor results, if he even gets that long.

Looks like potentially all three Championship promotion winning keepers will be replaced by their clubs in the Premier League. Samba has already left Forest with Henderson coming in, Rodak likely to be replaced by Leno (second time this will have happened to Rodak at Fulham) and Travers by Neto. If/when either Fulham or Bournemouth get relegated expect Leno/Neto to move on elsewhere and the clubs to turn back to Rodak/Travers again in the Championship.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Just turned 33 so should still be in good shape for a goalkeeper. Looks like the move to Barcelona stalled his career - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neto_(...eer_statistics
    He played more league games in his last season at Valencia(34) than total games for Barcelona(21) in the three years since moving to the Camp Nou
    Only one cap for Brazil, but that's not surprising given who's ahead of him.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    He won't be coming from Barca to sit on the bench. Not for long anyway. And Bournemouth won't be paying the kind of wages he'll be looking for to bring in a bench warmer either.

Bournemouth are likely to struggle this season so it will seem an easy decision to replace Travers when they have a few poor results, if he even gets that long.

Looks like potentially all three Championship promotion winning keepers will be replaced by their clubs in the Premier League. Samba has already left Forest with Henderson coming in, Rodak likely to be replaced by Leno (second time this will have happened to Rodak at Fulham) and Travers by Neto. If/when either Fulham or Bournemouth get relegated expect Leno/Neto to move on elsewhere and the clubs to turn back to Rodak/Travers again in the Championship.
    Well then he’s in for a surprise when he arrives.

The flip side to it is there’s no way he’d come to Bournemouth from Barca unless he had high wages.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    While he's been back up most his career it was back up to Buffon and Ter Stegen. Can't see why Bournemouth are wasting good money on a keeper when it was probably the last position that needed any improvement.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    While he's been back up most his career it was back up to Buffon and Ter Stegen. Can't see why Bournemouth are wasting good money on a keeper when it was probably the last position that needed any improvement.
    Can’t see why Bournemouth would desperately trying to persuade a back up keeper to be their first choice literally a few days before the PL starts unless…well he isn’t being signed as first choice.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Travers will almost certainly start this weekend as Neto will only be just in the door, but after that Neto will be pushing to play so it feels like it will only be a matter of time until he gets his run in the team - unless he turns out to be terrible in England which can happen sometimes with continental imports.

This doesn't seem like the best use of Bournemouth's resources given how weak their defence looks, but probably an agent has offered him and he's available on a free (albeit with high wages) so they've decided to go for it.

At the same time, it can't exactly be argued that Travers is some kind of flawless super keeper - he's an excellent shot stopper but is not near as comfortable with the ball at his feet as Bazunu or Kelleher (or probably Neto given his background). His command of his area improved significantly last season but whether it's up to Premier League standard remains to be seen.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Was Travers their POTY last year? And they're going to sign a Championship level full back and midfielder (Fredericks and Tavernier) and one goalkeeper to keep them up? God help them..

12. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Yes Travers was player of the year - his stops and Solanke's goals is basically what got them up. It has looked all summer like they were just going to take the Premier League money and accept their fate like Norwich always seem to but suddenly they're making a few signings just before the season starts having done nothing all summer - weird one.

With this signing, if they don't do something about that defence, they're basically just paying a more expensive player to pick the ball out of the net two or three times a game than Travers would have been costing them.
    Last edited by Eirambler; 04/08/2022 at 11:35 AM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Yes Travers was player of the year - his stops and Solanke's goals is basically what got them up. It has looked all summer like they were just going to take the Premier League money and accept their fate like Norwich always seem to but suddenly they're making a few signings just before the season starts having done nothing all summer - weird one.

With this signing, if they don't do something about that defence, they're basically just paying a more expensive player to pick the ball out of the net two or three times a game than Travers would have been costing them.
    And serving to shave a few bob off the value of one of their biggest assets. I'm really surprised by this. However, Parker had a fairly scattergun approach to recruitment ahead of 20/21 with Fulham. He clocked up a lot of loans of players from all sorts of bigger and continental sides - Southampton, PSG, Lyon, Torino, Bordeaux, Leipzig, Chelsea - and I don't think any or many made a big impression.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    And serving to shave a few bob off the value of one of their biggest assets. I'm really surprised by this. However, Parker had a fairly scattergun approach to recruitment ahead of 20/21 with Fulham. He clocked up a lot of loans of players from all sorts of bigger and continental sides - Southampton, PSG, Lyon, Torino, Bordeaux, Leipzig, Chelsea - and I don't think any or many made a big impression.
    If I recall correctly, the owners of Bournemouth are billionaires. I think they could easily pay the wages of a top-class back-up goalkeeper. Great for Travers to have the competition. I can't think of anything else to say about it. Goalkeepers of struggling EPL sides don't get stick unless they deserve it. For example, last season Leeds were losing game after game and conceding loads of goals but nobody was blaming Islier (? if that's the name of the young French lad in nets). I'm backing Travers to hold on to the number 1 jersey in the face of goalie who has played 21 games in 3 seasons...!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Bournemouth's financial backing is a bit of a mystery actually. They seem to be owned by a Russian billionaire, but not one that's overly interested in investing in the club. He seems to have avoided being sanctioned to date also, possibly keeping a low profile is working out well for him.

So their stadium is still tiny and they've done nothing much with it. They don't seem to overspend on the playing side either - last season they pretty much just spent the parachute payment money to get promoted again and they haven't spent massively this summer up to now.

So yes, they do appear to have a billionaire owner, but a fairly disinterested one at the same time.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    If I recall correctly, the owners of Bournemouth are billionaires. I think they could easily pay the wages of a top-class back-up goalkeeper. Great for Travers to have the competition. I can't think of anything else to say about it. Goalkeepers of struggling EPL sides don't get stick unless they deserve it. For example, last season Leeds were losing game after game and conceding loads of goals but nobody was blaming Islier (? if that's the name of the young French lad in nets). I'm backing Travers to hold on to the number 1 jersey in the face of goalie who has played 21 games in 3 seasons...!
    I hope you are right but, as I've stated, Neto will be their third signing after Tavernier and Fredericks. The rest of their squad is primarily unproven outside of the Championship (granted Travers is too). People that know more than me have identified their recruitment so far (excluding Neto) as a key factor in predicting their relegation (the Athletic's writer's weighted average ranking has them finishing last and an accompanying narrative in their season preview sees numerous writers referencing the transfers). I don't see how they would prioritize a sub goalkeeper...

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Keeps Neto on the bench for the visit of Arsenal today, but they're 2-0 down after 15 minutes. Not sure either was his fault really - Bournemouth generally getting torn apart by a much better team - but hopefully heavy defeats against Man City and (presumably) Arsenal won't be used as a stick against him by the manager

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Absolutely nothing he could have done for either. He actually made a great save on the first only for the rebound to fall right to Odegaard. The second goal was one of the most clinical finishes I have ever seen, no goalkeeper would have had a chance.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Bournemouth's defense are absolutely shocking. Nothing he could have done about the third goal.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Zinchenko's reaction to the third goal tells you how good of a goal that was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    I think they have bigger problems than goalkeeper. It'll be a rough year for Travers, but it'll be good for him.

24. Thanks From:

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast